Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 07:32 PM

414 posts, read 906,869 times

Advertisements

Rain forecast has been upped for 5-10" of rain for the entire area. Wind forecast has been upped to 50-70MPH winds with higher gusts. Sustained winds of 45+ will occur.

Sorry, but I only saw one other thread and it was called "anyone evacuating". This was meant to be an all inclusive and informative thread for the storm and all aspects there of. Sorry you don't like it, cava1990. Oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 07:36 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,237,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by United_Caps_Skins_Fan View Post
Sorry, but I only saw one other thread and it was called "anyone evacuating". This was meant to be an all inclusive and informative thread for the storm and all aspects there of. Sorry you don't like it, cava1990. Oh well.
Nah, it's all good.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:47 PM

499 posts, read 2,156,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmv101010 View Post
I got another duh question but sterling, va is considered the washington dc area federal gov as well right?
My understanding is that the for federal government directives concerning the greater DC area, they are referring to facilities inside the beltway. I'm stationed at FT Belvoir and OPMs directive did not pertain to Belvoir because its outside the beltway. Hope that helps.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:53 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,718,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyGuy View Post
My understanding is that the for federal government directives concerning the greater DC area, they are referring to facilities inside the beltway. I'm stationed at FT Belvoir and OPMs directive did not pertain to Belvoir because its outside the beltway. Hope that helps.
I really don't think that's accurate. Yes, there surely is a "line" somewhere that defines the DC region, but Belvoir is not that far from DC and is widely regarded as being in the National Capital Region. As is Sterling.

But Belvoir's own "operating status" page confirms it's closed tomorrow:

http://www.belvoir.army.mil/BelvoirOperatingStatus.asp

I'd bet that federal offices in Norfolk/Hampton Roads are also closed.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:59 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I really don't think that's accurate. Yes, there surely is a "line" somewhere that defines the DC region, but Belvoir is not that far from DC and is widely regarded as being in the National Capital Region. As is Sterling.
He's right about the Beltway. From http://www.opm.gov/oca/compmemo/dismissal.pdf:

Quote:
The Washington, DC, Area Dismissal and Closure Procedures apply to employees in all Executive agencies with offices located inside the “Washington Capital Beltway” (the highway that circles the Nation’s capital). In addition, some agencies may determine to apply these same procedures to facilities located in the portions of the Counties and jurisdictions that are outside of the Capital Beltway but adjacent to the District of Columbia (i.e., Montgomery and Prince George’s Counties in Maryland; Arlington and Fairfax Counties, and the independent cities of Alexandria, Fairfax, and Falls Church in Virginia). However, other agencies may determine to develop separate plans for these facilities, since Federal offices in areas outside the Capital Beltway may be subject to different weather and traffic conditions than those inside the Beltway. In very rare circumstances, the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) may issue guidelines affecting agency facilities outside the Washington Capital Beltway. Note, however, that OPM’s procedures do not apply to employees of the legislative branch, judicial branch, U.S. Postal Service, the government of the District of Columbia, or private sector entities, including contractors.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:19 PM

499 posts, read 2,156,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post

But Belvoir's own "operating status" page confirms it's closed tomorrow:

Welcome to Fort Belvoir Home Page!

I'd bet that federal offices in Norfolk/Hampton Roads are also closed.
Yes, the decision to close was eventually made but its independent of OPMs directive to shut down federal government agencies in the "greater DC area".

Here was Belvoir's announcement.

The Garrison Commander has made this decision after considering the severity of conditions predicted for tomorrow, local school closures and a decision by the Office of Personnel Management to close federal offices in the D.C. Area.

The commander wouldn't have had to make a decision if we fell under OPMs directives for the greater DC area.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:32 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,237,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyGuy View Post
The commander wouldn't have had to make a decision if we fell under OPMs directives for the greater DC area.
Well I'm glad you straightened that out. It must be exhausting having to correct everyone all the time.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:14 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,233,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Well I'm glad you straightened that out. It must be exhausting having to correct everyone all the time.
Do you enjoy being the resident CD smart A** all the time? Seems you have to be a little snarky in most threads on here.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:57 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,718,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
He's right about the Beltway. From http://www.opm.gov/oca/compmemo/dismissal.pdf:
Ok, wow--I stand corrected! I'm quite surprised. (Belvoir is only 30 minutes from DC if there's no traffic. And administratively, Mark Center [well inside the Beltway] is treated as some extension of Belvoir.)

OPM really should expand its definition, because any weather system affecting inside the Beltway is going to have almost the same effect well outside the Beltway.

Glad you raised the point, though, because I bet a lot of Belvoir employees were thinking as I was. (When I worked there, my agency was very proactive about updating us directly on operating status, so it didn't come up.)

You all stay safe.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:03 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,648,952 times
I'm sort of surprised by the "inside the beltway" thing too. Although, I do vaguely remember that, excepting that, military installations often don't follow the OPM guidelines and have their own operating status. Andrews is one example and they are very close to DC. I guess I figured Ft. Belvoir was the same way--that the base commander would make that decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia