U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-30-2012, 11:39 AM

279 posts, read 421,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
If the guy is just talking on the phone but is loud, I think you'll have better luck asking in a nice way. Try to find a way to run into him in the hallway, at the mailboxes, or some other public area. Then say how you don't want to get along and respect his right to make phone calls, etc., but that you would really appreciate it if he could help you out by trying to talk at lower volume. Give that a shot.

Shoot, if you really wanna try the "flies with honey" approach, bring over some small gift and then raise this issue. Maybe he could try talking on the phone in a different room of the house.

I think this would be a hard situation to bring in the noise law for, because in most places, there has to be some measurable high volume audible outside the residence. If he's just talking, it's likely it isn't really that loud--just loud enough to keep you awake.
I gave them a gift already and they liked my gift. Probably I should bring a more expensive gift next time? What would be a gift that they will like? I want to be very kind to them so that I can win them over.

You're right. His noise is nothing like the party noise in my previous place at such high volume that the cops did not hesitate to intervene. My current neighbor's noise is just loud enough to keep me awake.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 11:41 AM

2,017 posts, read 1,749,970 times
An eighteen-dollar Lasko box fan from Lowe's is pretty loud. I've been at hotels, and had the Concierge send out for one, on more than one occasion. Maybe I'll run into some Laskys at Temple, somewhere, and get a chance to thank them, in-person, for their wonderful product. Better than a bottle of sleeping pills, because I'm up at the crack o' dawn, ready to barge into the boardroom, if I've slept with a Lasko box fan in the room with me.

Box fans are nice, because they emit part of their sound range in the low, maybe even ultrasonic range. So, they're not just covering up the 'consonants', they're covering up the 'vowels', too. Or maybe I should say they're cancelling-out the 'bass' along with the 'tweeters'.

Obviously, they are not powerful enough to cover up idiots letting their hotel room doors slam behind them, or subhumans driving by in boom cars... or other subhumans with "performance exhaust" mufflers on their vehicles, if those vehicles are right outside your window.

Place the box fan on a hard surface, so that its full effect won't be muted. So, on top of a dresser, instead of on the carpeted floor. Capisce?

Our first few homes, as students and young professionals, were in units of blighted apartment buildings we bought and gentrified (could I ever tell you stories... pouring bleach into clogged commodes, with resultant chlorine/ammonia 'volcanoes'...who knew the 'clog' had made ammonia???... polishing aluminum doors until they looked like antique silver... scrubbing, scrubbing...). But anyway, we DID enforce quiet. Most landlord's won't. We ended up with buildings full of young professionals and college instructors...even some professors. Most landlords are not so lucky. But we MADE our luck, by enforcing quiet. (we sold all our residential properties a long time back).

Most leases have 'quiet enjoyment' type clauses. Refusal to enforce reasonable standards of quiet is a breach of most rental contracts (at least in theory). I know nothing of residential condos. But dig out the paperwork, enlarge the fine print at Kinko's if you need to, and go over it. Then, of course, there is that which is implicit in a contract, spelled-out in applicable laws, and implicit under Common Law.

Nobody has a 'right' to disturb your sleep, or to be a noise nuisance. But getting the peace that is due you is something else. Sometimes you have to be clever. Sometimes, you have to be pushy.

OH!!! And if all else fails, since it's a condo, one CAN add sound-proofing. I know money doesn't grow on trees, but a few inches of foam can work wonders.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:57 AM

560 posts, read 608,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Have you tried sleeping with the t.v. on, low volume? That often drowns out any neighbor noise.

This is a good idea, but I would listen to C-SPAN radio (90.1 FM). Usually it's just talking so not too much variation in loudness. I bought a cheap clock radio that will play for one hour before shutting off automatically.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:12 PM

4,287 posts, read 4,106,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveAlbuquerque View Post
I gave them a gift already and they liked my gift. Probably I should bring a more expensive gift next time? What would be a gift that they will like? I want to be very kind to them so that I can win them over.
OK, you've definitely been nice enough. You don't need to give them another gift (a custom that isn't even practiced in the US). If being nice doesn't work, then yeah, talk to your landlord, their landlord, the police--and then if that doesn't work, go nuclear and start cranking your TV when they're asleep. If appeals to reason and consideration and appeals to the authorities don't work, that's your remaining option.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Most leases have 'quiet enjoyment' type clauses. Refusal to enforce reasonable standards of quiet is a breach of most rental contracts (at least in theory). I know nothing of residential condos. But dig out the paperwork, enlarge the fine print at Kinko's if you need to, and go over it. Then, of course, there is that which is implicit in a contract, spelled-out in applicable laws, and implicit under Common Law.

Nobody has a 'right' to disturb your sleep, or to be a noise nuisance. But getting the peace that is due you is something else. Sometimes you have to be clever. Sometimes, you have to be pushy.
GrandviewGloria: I have found relevant clauses in my lease.

In my release, it says, "Tenant shall conduct himself and require other persons and/or animals on the premises, whether known by the Tenant or not, to conduct themselves in a manner that will not disturb his neighbors' peaceful enjoyment of their premises, and always in accordance with the rules and regulations of applicable homeowners association or condo association which are considered part of the lease"

In the "Rules and Regulations of Condominium Association", it says, "Unit Owners must exercise due consideration at all hours in the operation of radios, televisions, musical instruments, or any other items to ensure that the sound will not disturb others. As appoint of information, the Fairfax County noise ordinance provides as follows: The Ordinance (chapter 108 of the County Code) forbids excessive noise from musical instruments, radios, televisions or other sound systems, as well as disturbances by barking dogs or other domestic animals. To violate the ordinance, noise must be clearly audible across property lines or through partitions. In addition, the Noise Ordinance prohibits a number of specific actions during early morning or late evening hours (11:00PM to 7:00AM daily)"

Old 10-30-2012, 02:44 PM

564 posts, read 720,986 times
Does anyone know if there are noise-cancelling devices designed for sleeping? Rather than using something like a fan to emit "white noise" which works by drowning out other noises, I'm thinking there must be something similar to those noise-cancelling headphones that you can buy for airplane trips. Those kinds of headphones emit inaudible "anti-noise" frequencies which actually cancel the sounds instead of masking them. In fact, a friend of mine recently bought a new car which uses this same technology to make the ride quieter at higher speeds.

I've searched the web a bit and haven't found something yet. I'm thinking this kind of thing might be a nice device for the OP, or any apartment-dweller for that matter. Or, in my case, I'd like one so I don't have to worry about waking up my wife after she's gone to bed and I want to watch TV at any volume above mute.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:15 PM

To give everyone an update - I talked to the building manager who seemed kind and helpful. He said he could send a letter to this tenant to start with. If that doesn't work, there will be a hearing process by the committee that will decide on a way to solve the issue.

The manager doubted that the tenant would be evicted, because they only evicted tenants with dramatic situations such as a couple fighting at night.

I suggest that at least the committee should ask him to not talk in the bedroom area and lower his voice. The manager commented that the committee should agree to my very reasonable suggestion.

I would give it some time to see if he is still noisy at night. If yes, I'll take the path the manager suggests.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfs View Post
Does anyone know if there are noise-cancelling devices designed for sleeping? Rather than using something like a fan to emit "white noise" which works by drowning out other noises, I'm thinking there must be something similar to those noise-cancelling headphones that you can buy for airplane trips. Those kinds of headphones emit inaudible "anti-noise" frequencies which actually cancel the sounds instead of masking them. In fact, a friend of mine recently bought a new car which uses this same technology to make the ride quieter at higher speeds.

I've searched the web a bit and haven't found something yet. I'm thinking this kind of thing might be a nice device for the OP, or any apartment-dweller for that matter. Or, in my case, I'd like one so I don't have to worry about waking up my wife after she's gone to bed and I want to watch TV at any volume above mute.
Scott - This device sounds ideal to me! Please let me know what it is and where I can get it.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:17 AM

254 posts, read 173,996 times
I am going through the same thing with the people below me. It seems like it is always the people below that cause the most problems. I don't agree with any advice in this thread that involves the victim (OP) buying anything and spending any money - even $5 earplugs. Spending electricity like having a fan run or a TV on all night is also wrong IMO. That is like saying a victim of theft should spend money on a bigger safe or a victim of murder should have been wearing a $500 kevlar vest. The victim is not at fault.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:33 AM

956 posts, read 889,543 times
Mike pretty much......

Unfortunately its apartment living. That and people are pretty much about themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia