Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2012, 01:16 PM

165 posts, read 201,815 times

Advertisements

Looking for WiFi in my house. Don't want a bundle a la Cox or Fios. This, I don't want one of those package deals that has phone etc with it. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by BMOCCC; 10-31-2012 at 01:17 PM.. Reason: more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 09:21 AM

687 posts, read 1,373,807 times
If you don't want cable internet or FIOS, one option is to get a device that turns your cell phone service into a WiFi hotspot that your laptop can use to access the internet.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:27 AM

33 posts, read 62,791 times
I don't know about FIOS, but you can get Cox Internet by itself if you want? My bother actually have DirectTV and Cox Internet with no home phone. I think he paid around $40 to $45 a month for internet from Cox.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:45 PM

15,128 posts, read 27,673,702 times
Adding to this thread, I know there were others (Carlington, etc. had one) - I'm outraged at the bill that came today - I have the Verizon bundle (phone, internet, TV) - $198!!! I still have to pull last months' bill to see what increased (I had to buy another remote - you'd think for what they charge you, they would replace them!!) - they also charged $7.49 for an operator call (I was calling my mother, her husband was/is seriously ill - I kept calling and the call would ring back here and I.D. showed I was calling myself) - they tried it and got the same thing!! For this they want $7.49?? - It's just outrageous to pay $200/month IMO.

Any ideas? FIOS isn't available here - as far as I know the only option is Comcast - we need a landline/internet/TV - But, if I could piecemeal things and make it cheaper?

Old 04-26-2013, 10:41 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,861,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Adding to this thread, I know there were others (Carlington, etc. had one) - I'm outraged at the bill that came today - I have the Verizon bundle (phone, internet, TV) - $198!!! I still have to pull last months' bill to see what increased (I had to buy another remote - you'd think for what they charge you, they would replace them!!) - they also charged $7.49 for an operator call (I was calling my mother, her husband was/is seriously ill - I kept calling and the call would ring back here and I.D. showed I was calling myself) - they tried it and got the same thing!! For this they want $7.49?? - It's just outrageous to pay $200/month IMO.

Any ideas? FIOS isn't available here - as far as I know the only option is Comcast - we need a landline/internet/TV - But, if I could piecemeal things and make it cheaper?
For regular phone try Ooma and/or Google Voice that works with your data connection. For me, I just got rid of regular phone, ported my home phone number to Google Voice, and then have those calls forwarded to me to my cell phone. I have the option of turning off the forwarding, have the calls and messages sent to my computer, and view the messages whenever I want. If you prefer talking on a regular handset, you can buy a bluetooth Panasonic or Vtech phone that you can switch to after getting your calls to your cell phone.

For cable, I don't know. I always thought Direct TV or Dish was cheaper, but I've never used them. I pretty much gave up on TV and use Hulu Plus and Amazon prime via my data connection. I also bought a decent leaf style HDTV antenna so I get the network channels. Not having ESPN is the only thing that hurts.

For internet, I don't live in an area that has Fios, and Verizon requires that I pay for regular phone service if I want DSL. I found out that Earthlink uses the Verizon network for DSL, charges a little bit less, and doesn't require phone service. The problem is their customer service is worse than Verizon, but you can install it yourself.

Though this doesn't work for you, if you do live in the Fios network, there is a company called RCN that leases capacity on the Verizon Fioa network for cheaper rates. They might lease capacity on cable company lines too depending on where you live.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:54 AM

244 posts, read 564,372 times
Verizon offers excellent service and customer service. However they are expensive and will stop at nothing to extract every bit of money from their customers. There is nothing wrong with capitalism, I just wish they weren't so raw and blatant about "we do because we can" attitude. But capitalism has a flip side, so I am glad to have an alternative in Cox. I get internet-only from Cox, at $50 per month. So far, service has been great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia