U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 08:45 PM

8,555 posts, read 12,622,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Interesting! Can you specify "no kids" or "families only, no roommates" or "over 30 only" or anything like that too if it's only your own house?
I'm not the best person to answer these questions, as I'm not a lawyer or an experienced landlord. I just know that as a landlord with fewer than 4 properties, you are not bound by the Federal anti-discrimination laws (although some states may prohibit such discriminaton that all landlords are bound to not just those with 4 or more properties). I don't think you can advertise it, though.

If someone knows more on this than I do, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:29 AM

687 posts, read 1,127,267 times
If he wants to only rent to military folks for patriotic reasons that fine, but he will be sadly mistaken if he is just assuming that military people will not damage his house because they are more disciplined and will always pay the rent on time.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:51 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,728,591 times
That's what I remember from when I got my real estate license many, many years ago. The issue is printing the discrimination. Technically when someone posts an ad requesting male or female roommates, that IS printing discrimination, but publications feel it's "accepted discrimination" and allow it. Same thing applies for summer rentals - how many ads do you see that they won't rent to anyone under the age of "xx"?

Old 11-01-2012, 01:10 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,688,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundman View Post
If he wants to only rent to military folks for patriotic reasons that fine, but he will be sadly mistaken if he is just assuming that military people will not damage his house because they are more disciplined and will always pay the rent on time.
Perhaps not any less likely to damage etc, but easier to find them if something goes wrong (vacate overnight, don't pay at all, etc)

My husband has gotten calls in the past from landlords directly and many know how to contact the housing office who then contact him.

Back in the day, you had to provide your lease to the housing office, which made it easier for landlords to find the tenants etc...

Old 11-02-2012, 05:29 PM

69 posts, read 106,858 times
I am interested in your rental! Can you Pm me more info? Hubby is former military and currently DHS.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:48 PM

291 posts, read 494,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandieandangel View Post
I am interested in your rental! Can you Pm me more info? Hubby is former military and currently DHS.
sandie, I have seen some other posts from you. I think you are getting a little confused. He is renting a house in a community development named Ashland. You are looking for homes in Herndon, Sterling, and maybe considering Ashburn. Said your husband will be working in Reston. This house is near Quantico which is a world a part from Reston traffic wise (even with no traffic). I think you are getting the names confused.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:58 PM

69 posts, read 106,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFan View Post
sandie, I have seen some other posts from you. I think you are getting a little confused. He is renting a house in a community development named Ashland. You are looking for homes in Herndon, Sterling, and maybe considering Ashburn. Said your husband will be working in Reston. This house is near Quantico which is a world a part from Reston traffic wise (even with no traffic). I think you are getting the names confused.
I sure am!!!!!! Gosh, my brain is FRIED with this upcoming move! Thanks for the heads up!

Old 11-04-2012, 03:51 PM

2,670 posts, read 4,520,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middlin View Post
That's what I remember from when I got my real estate license many, many years ago. The issue is printing the discrimination. Technically when someone posts an ad requesting male or female roommates, that IS printing discrimination, but publications feel it's "accepted discrimination" and allow it. Same thing applies for summer rentals - how many ads do you see that they won't rent to anyone under the age of "xx"?
The reason why specifying gender on roommates is acceptable is that privacy considerations trump non-discrimination considerations when you are sharing a household, versus when you are offering an apartment you own for rental. Specifying the gender of a roommate is not considered unfair discrimination or "accepted" discrimination.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:52 PM

7,966 posts, read 18,044,996 times
Please note that posting of properties for sale or rent by realtors or owners is considered real estate advertising which is not permitted per the Terms of Service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia