U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 08:33 AM

2,209 posts, read 1,831,742 times

Advertisements

Election day is shaping up to be hectic for me in the office, and was thinking of voting early (tomorrow). I'm in Brambleton, but haven't a clue where to go or how to go about doing this? Is it as simple as driving over to where ever I'm assigned to vote, walking in, and casting my vote, like it is on normal election day? (can you tell I've never voted early before?)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 08:41 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,634,865 times
Virginia doesn't have "early voting" like some states. You can cast your absentee ballot in person, but you have to meet certain criteria for absentee voting.

Loudoun County - Absentee Voting
Loudoun County - In-Person Locations and Hours

Old 11-01-2012, 09:01 AM

8,555 posts, read 12,619,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Election day is shaping up to be hectic for me in the office, and was thinking of voting early (tomorrow). I'm in Brambleton, but haven't a clue where to go or how to go about doing this? Is it as simple as driving over to where ever I'm assigned to vote, walking in, and casting my vote, like it is on normal election day? (can you tell I've never voted early before?)

Thanks!
Having just moved to NC, I am surprised that I can go to a variety of polling places and vote early. It's definitely not like that in VA. When I voted absentee ballot there, I had to fill out a form and give a reason why I couldn't vote on election day. I like that I can do it early here in NC, but it's a bit strange to me.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:58 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,016,057 times
I think you may have missed the deadline for applying to vote absentee in person.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:06 AM

23,565 posts, read 33,287,625 times
How much would the criteria be actually verified? I technically have a DC job site that I am responsible for and can be called to at any time. Think they would buy that for early voting?

BTW, I can vote early in Arlington until the 3rd.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:40 AM

2,688 posts, read 5,951,120 times
The deadline for applying to vote absentee by mail has passed, but you can vote absentee-in-person until 5:00 pm Saturday. You'll need to look at your county or city website for the location(s) and hours. It's not at the regular polling places. Some places have increased the number of hours to help compensate for closures during the storm. Here are the acceptable reasons for voting absentee in Virginia:

Absentee Voting

Old 11-01-2012, 11:40 AM

3,155 posts, read 8,095,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I think you may have missed the deadline for applying to vote absentee in person.
If you're voting absentee in person, you apply to vote absentee just before you vote. Deadline for that is Nov. 3rd.

The deadline to apply for absentee voting by mail has passed though- it was Oct. 30th.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:57 PM

757 posts, read 1,332,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
How much would the criteria be actually verified? I technically have a DC job site that I am responsible for and can be called to at any time. Think they would buy that for early voting?

BTW, I can vote early in Arlington until the 3rd.
All the times I've voted absentee, they didn't verify anything. You are signing a document that says your application is true.

This is the language at the bottom of the form (caps not mine)

"WARNING: INTENTIONALLY MAKING A MATERIALLY FALSE STATEMENT ON THIS FORM CONSTITUTES THE CRIME OF ELECTION FRAUD, WHICH IS PUNISHABLE UNDER VIRGINIA LAW AS A FELONY. VIOLATORS MAY BE SENTENCED UP TO 10 YEARS IN PRISON, OR UP TO 12 MONTHS IN JAIL AND/OR FINED UP TO $2,500"

I doubt you'll get caught. I also doubt anyone wants to partake in election fraud, even if it isn't material to the winner of the election. Away on business is a valid reason to vote absentee. For commuting to DC, you need to be away for 11 or more hours between 6 AM and 7PM.

I voted today. I'm in Denver on business on Tuesday. Plane tickets, hotel and rental car reservations in hand.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:59 PM

2,688 posts, read 5,951,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
I also doubt anyone wants to partake in election fraud
Except for Congressman Jim Moran's son/field director Patrick:

Police Investigating Patrick Moran | Video | wusa9.com

Old 11-01-2012, 04:01 PM

1,623 posts, read 4,323,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
All the times I've voted absentee, they didn't verify anything. You are signing a document that says your application is true.

This is the language at the bottom of the form (caps not mine)

"WARNING: INTENTIONALLY MAKING A MATERIALLY FALSE STATEMENT ON THIS FORM CONSTITUTES THE CRIME OF ELECTION FRAUD, WHICH IS PUNISHABLE UNDER VIRGINIA LAW AS A FELONY. VIOLATORS MAY BE SENTENCED UP TO 10 YEARS IN PRISON, OR UP TO 12 MONTHS IN JAIL AND/OR FINED UP TO $2,500"

I doubt you'll get caught. I also doubt anyone wants to partake in election fraud, even if it isn't material to the winner of the election. Away on business is a valid reason to vote absentee. For commuting to DC, you need to be away for 11 or more hours between 6 AM and 7PM.

I voted today. I'm in Denver on business on Tuesday. Plane tickets, hotel and rental car reservations in hand.
The determination is what you anticipate when you register, not what you actually worked. If you think you may commute and work for 11 hours, you have every right to vote absentee even if things change and you don't end up working that many hours. Anyone that knows traffic in DC, knows that you can easily exceed 11 hours in work/commuting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia