Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2012, 09:17 AM

771 posts, read 1,459,260 times

Advertisements

I love being outdoors, and on weekends I like going out to a local park for a stroll or just to relax, sit down and read a book. I especially like parks with water (e.g. a river, a lake, etc). My goal is to visit every park in Northern Virginia, but I was wondering what everyone's favorite local park is?

These are some of the ones I've visited so far (I moved to Sterling about 8 months ago):

Great Falls: This is my favorite one so far. I love the falls and whenever I have visitors I bring them here.
Riverbend: Beautiful views of the Potomac, and some interesting guided activities.
Algonkian: I love reading here, it has great views, plenty of picnic areas, and is very close to my house.
Claude Moore: I like that you can go fishing here and it's also very close to my house.
Dunn Loring: Very small, but I used to go a lot back when I lived in Merrifield.
Nottoway: Great place for picnics!
Turkey Run: My company used to have it's annual corporate picnic here, and it was nice.

Do you know any secret gems (and do you wish to reveal them )?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 09:45 AM

214 posts, read 499,658 times
The ones I go to most are Burke Lake Park and Huntley Meadows. They're doing work on the dam at Burke Lake, so the water level of the whole lake is a few feet lower than normal and part of the trail is closed. Huntley Meadows is a wetland area that is usually good for bird watching, but I think most of the birds have moved on for the season.
I just went to Mason Neck Wildlife Refuge, which is a good place to see eagles.
Belle Haven park by the marina off GW parkway has a small area with some picnic benches. You can see the Woodrow Wilson bridge and National Harbor from here.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:51 AM

154 posts, read 374,128 times
My favorites:

Scotts Run - lots of variety (Potomac riverfront, in addition to easy trails a small section of steep hill climb, nice little waterfall)
Huntley Meadows - my last visit here saw a very wide diversity of flora/fauna - my favorite of the day was a rough greensnake
E.C. Lawrence - lots of trails + connects with Big Rocky Run Stream Valley trails
Sully Woodlands - have yet to ever meet another person here

Old 11-01-2012, 10:54 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Fort Hunt.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:34 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,944,761 times
Accotink was my favorite...because I could walk there

Just went to Turkey Run for the first time last weekend. What a fun hike! A bit treacherous at times with so many fallen leaves and steep trails, but fun nonetheless.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:35 PM

564 posts, read 1,493,752 times
We head to Accotink a lot to walk around the lake because it is closer but if we feel like going longer then we go to Burke Lake.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:25 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,724,890 times
I like Sky Meadows State Park. We go there at least once a month.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:55 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,152,194 times
I've never been, but have always heard that Clemyjontri Park is amazing for kids.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:17 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,509,495 times
I like Bluemont Park in Arlington. Four Mile Run meanders through it as does the W&O.D. bike and running trail. The whole stretch of the trail from Sycamore to Columbia Pike is really nice---lots of wetlands, small parks, a big rose garden, tennis courts, a frisbee golf course, playground, side trails. It's an oasis of quiet surrounded by dense suburban development.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:24 PM

69 posts, read 121,699 times
Fantasic thread!!!! I have nothing to add as I will be moving to the area in 3 weeks but appreciate the info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia