U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 03:13 AM

15,764 posts, read 9,506,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I wonder what it means when I am getting approximatelt 6 caalsper day from the RNC and zero from the DNC?
Same here in Pittsburgh, PA - plus way more TV ads (and good ones) for Romney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 03:49 AM

10,598 posts, read 12,098,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by govmoneynvegas View Post
The same thing it means when I am getting approxminately 6 peaces of mail per day from the DNC, and nothing from the RNC.

That's interesting. I get a few pieces of mail from the DNC but, overwhelmingly, I have been robocalled and hit so hard with "postcards" from the RNC, and I'm not sure why. I figured it would be equal.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:21 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,031,221 times
It seems odd you'd be getting something from both unless you're in a split household. Campaigns are usually sophisticated enough that this late in the game they're targeting their own voters and getting them out to vote. The days of moderate parties trying to persuade undecideds are a thing of the past. This is one reason it's now easier to predict election outcomes.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
It seems odd you'd be getting something from both unless you're in a split household. Campaigns are usually sophisticated enough that this late in the game they're targeting their own voters and getting them out to vote. The days of moderate parties trying to persuade undecideds are a thing of the past.
This is the exact opposite for me - not a split household and we aren't RNC's base. Here in Pittsburgh the best of the Romney ads are specifically geared toward people switching parties - with a focus on moving blue collar and women voters who voted for Obama last time.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:29 AM

1,256 posts, read 3,517,323 times
We get very few pieces of Democrat-or-democrat-leaning mailing - we get tons of Republican-or-republican-leaning ones; I would say the ratio is better than 10 to 1, minimally. We are not party-affiliated.

W.r.t. a prior post that mentions some sort of stats put out by Rasmussen - wait til AFTER the election to cite that firm - at that time they will have started compiling the stats without the bias so their next-time marketing can point out how accurate they were.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
This is the exact opposite for me - not a split household and we aren't RNC's base. Here in Pittsburgh the best of the Romney ads are specifically geared toward people switching parties - with a focus on moving blue collar and women voters who voted for Obama last time.
I think that's more a combination of their having a bunch of money left, desperation, a disappointing situation in OH and the number of votes at stake in PA. I'm sure when it's looked back upon it will be seen as not to have moved the PA needle that much. We're kind of in an odd situation here in VA. We're the most up in the air but we don't have enough votes to make much difference. It takes an OH, PA, or FL for that.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I think that's more a combination of their having a bunch of money left, desperation, a disappointing situation in OH and the number of votes at stake in PA. I'm sure when it's looked back upon it will be seen as not to have moved the PA needle that much. We're kind of in an odd situation here in VA. We're the most up in the air but we don't have enough votes to make much difference. It takes an OH, PA, or FL for that.
I think (and hope) you're right about not moving the needle much here. We've been away from VA the past month or so, so I don't know how it would have compared to here - too bad we don't have an answering machine there to capture all the calls

Old 11-04-2012, 05:37 AM

5,738 posts, read 8,947,337 times
My phone (cell) rang last night, but the caller was "unknown," so I didn't answer. We have no landline, and neither of us ever answers when it's a strange number or the caller is marked "unknown." I'm betting it was a robocall or poll.

I think our behavior is typical of people our age (early 40s) and younger. This is why I think all phone-based polls skew older--and thus (generally) more conservative.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
My phone (cell) rang last night, but the caller was "unknown," so I didn't answer. We have no landline, and neither of us ever answers when it's a strange number or the caller is marked "unknown." I'm betting it was a robocall or poll.
I always imagine it's some guy on the other end with a paper bag over his head.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:29 AM

10,598 posts, read 12,098,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post

I think our behavior is typical of people our age (early 40s) and younger. This is why I think all phone-based polls skew older--and thus (generally) more conservative.

Most of my political calls come from "Unknown Caller." I've had a few from "Private Caller" and then I've had some that actually list the Republican National Committte, or RNC, or some other organization that backs the RNC. Last night I got my very first recorded message from the Mitt Man himself!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia