U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 10:04 AM

1,784 posts, read 2,984,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tongyang View Post
As far as I can see, the only people who are affected by the HOV conversion are hybrid drivers (and people who don't want to get an EZ pass). I'm sure most people wouldn't complain about that.
Well, and drivers who enjoyed a more wide open road at off-peak times, but again, probably not worth taking them into account.

I do with they would lower the minimums for off-peak times... I would pay 25 cents to have a few less cars around me (assuming regular and HOT are both moving at speed), but not $1.30+. Does anyone know who does the maintenance/repair/paving of the HOT lanes? If it's Fluor, it makes sense they would have a higher minimum. If not, seems like they're throwing money away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 04:54 PM

22 posts, read 51,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
Admittedly I'm excited for this as well. It "shouldn't" affect normal HOV-3 drivers, but it'll give people who want to use the lanes the option (ignoring the transurban part, that's another discussion). I regularly use the HOV lanes on my motorcycle to get into Tysons, normally going up HOV to the Pentagon and then taking the GW. With the HOT lanes on 495 opening, I can skip that (and the traffic, it's murder on the clutch hand). It'll make the evening commute home easier as well, I can take HOT straight to HOV, and once the 95 HOT lanes open, maybe there will be less traffic after 6pm on the lanes since everyone stacks up at Springfield and you sit in traffic until around Lorton.
One thing about the 95 Express Lanes -- they are adding a lane between the Mixing Bowl and Lorton as part of the project. That should help. They know they can't advertise "express speed" on those lanes without adding capacity. At times, I doubt they'll get it even with more capacity!

Last edited by jarednova; 11-27-2012 at 05:21 PM..

Old 11-30-2012, 06:45 AM

1,518 posts, read 2,443,279 times
I was driving in this morning and jumped on the lanes at the Springfield Interchange. Another dumba** completely stopped and trying to back up/turn back into the main lanes at the start of the barriers right after the merge from 95. Everyone in the left lanes to stay on the HOT lanes had to dance around him. I'm sorry, but anyone stupid enough to stop in flowing traffic just because they want to change lanes deserves to have their license revoked and never returned!

Old 11-30-2012, 03:27 PM

8,106 posts, read 12,655,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
I was driving in this morning and jumped on the lanes at the Springfield Interchange. Another dumba** completely stopped and trying to back up/turn back into the main lanes at the start of the barriers right after the merge from 95. Everyone in the left lanes to stay on the HOT lanes had to dance around him. I'm sorry, but anyone stupid enough to stop in flowing traffic just because they want to change lanes deserves to have their license revoked and never returned!
Why do you think they are doing this? Is it because they don't realize they are in the lanes for the HOT? My wife drove through there the other day and said it is pretty well marked.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:30 PM

3,156 posts, read 8,101,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Why do you think they are doing this? Is it because they don't realize they are in the lanes for the HOT? My wife drove through there the other day and said it is pretty well marked.
Probably the same problem as many drivers these days- they're distracted and not paying attention to their surroundings.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:31 PM

672 posts, read 1,013,812 times
I drove it last week and had no problems, I got on right after I95 and got off at the 29 exit there wasn't much traffic at the time so it was really a test drive for me and I liked it.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:41 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,443,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
There's signs all over the place. I'm willing to bet its people trying to pass traffic and not getting back over quick enough to avoid the barriers.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Old 12-01-2012, 09:29 AM

56 posts, read 100,699 times
Your right,,,I have seen lots of cars driving in the lanes designated for Express and at the end get back over into the regular lanes...

But I do have a question and if the answer was in here someplace I apologize in advance for asking again.
If you use the express lanes and get off 66W you go right into the HOV lanes and so during HOV hours for what length of the road are you allowed to remain in the HOV lane? I exit at Nutley so I am making my move over to the right pretty quick but just wonder if there is a "rule". Yesterday there was a police officer behind me and I did not want to stay in the HOV lane but also did not want to make a risky move to the right until it was safe

I know going 66 east bound there is a sign that invites you into the HOV lane if using the Express Lane at a certain point before actually exiting onto the Express Lanes, just wondering about the West Bound 66...

Thanks

Old 12-01-2012, 07:22 PM

320 posts, read 613,422 times
Are you all seeing more cars using the HOT lanes? I heard that they aren't charging the tolls they thought they would ($5.00+ but rather $2.00 or so).

Old 12-01-2012, 09:19 PM

2,688 posts, read 5,953,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy62 View Post
Are you all seeing more cars using the HOT lanes? I heard that they aren't charging the tolls they thought they would ($5.00+ but rather $2.00 or so).
The tolls are pretty cheap right now, the highest I've seen is $1.25, the others have been under a dollar. I've been surprised how slow people have been to start using them, when the price is so low, but there is a little more traffic each time I use them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia