Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 04:02 PM

152 posts, read 180,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
And as mentioned in earlier posts, one doesn't even need the transponder to take the HOT lanes. Just pay the fee online within 5 days.
I've got a regular transponder, but if I wanted to use the HOV function, I would need to switch to the new model transponder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 05:20 PM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
And as mentioned in earlier posts, one doesn't even need the transponder to take the HOT lanes. Just pay the fee online within 5 days.
Interestingly, that doesn't work if you want to claim you had 3 people in the car at the time, but without a transponder. The only way to ride for free is with the new transponder.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:05 PM

24 posts, read 40,977 times
Great job Jamming the merge to the American Leigon Bridge and creating even more traffic. Hot lanes, not such a hot idea. Too bad the environmental wack jobs in MD won't even hear of putting in another Potomac crossing and ease the bottle neck.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:12 PM

24 posts, read 40,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazee8 View Post
I use the lanes even at 2 am because I'm willing to pay to get away from idiot drivers causing 4 lane road blocks.
It's not possible to get away from the idiot drivers. I have seen more diplomat tagged vehicles going 45 mph in the left lane than I can count. DC has a major problem in that the people that are here are mostly foreigners either to the country or the area and have no idea how to drive. Let me add that they don't particularly care to learn how to drive either. It seems they think the left lane is their personal check my cell phone lane.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:44 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,529,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terribletraffic View Post
It's not possible to get away from the idiot drivers. I have seen more diplomat tagged vehicles going 45 mph in the left lane than I can count. DC has a major problem in that the people that are here are mostly foreigners either to the country or the area and have no idea how to drive. Let me add that they don't particularly care to learn how to drive either. It seems they think the left lane is their personal check my cell phone lane.
Unfortunately, I don't think this is just limited to foreigners. Drive into the deep south, and the rednecks are notorious for coasting along in the left lane in their pickup trucks.

And I would know since I have family in SC. It seems like as soon as you cross into SC, no one knows that you pass on the left.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:18 AM

128 posts, read 158,515 times
I don't mean to detract too much from the topic here, but does anyone know what the state is planning to do with 395? I've heard 2 different things. One being that there will be 5 total lanes, alternating 3 to 2 (3 one direction, 2 the going the other) with tolls for everyone who uses 395. The other being that the new toll will only apply to the HOV lanes, and the highway will be wider but still maintain the same 'in between' HOV lane structure is has now. Which is it?

Old 02-26-2014, 07:34 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,382,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erix View Post
I don't mean to detract too much from the topic here, but does anyone know what the state is planning to do with 395? I've heard 2 different things. One being that there will be 5 total lanes, alternating 3 to 2 (3 one direction, 2 the going the other) with tolls for everyone who uses 395. The other being that the new toll will only apply to the HOV lanes, and the highway will be wider but still maintain the same 'in between' HOV lane structure is has now. Which is it?
The second one.

There will be 3 HOT (high-occupancy/toll) lanes instead of 2 HOV lanes. The direction will switch just like it currently does. If you have 3 or more people in your car, you would not pay the toll, just like on the 495 HOT lanes.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:39 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,785,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
The second one.

There will be 3 HOT (high-occupancy/toll) lanes instead of 2 HOV lanes. The direction will switch just like it currently does. If you have 3 or more people in your car, you would not pay the toll, just like on the 495 HOT lanes.
That is partly correct, at least as I understand it. There is a map of the whole project here: http://www.vamegaprojects.com/tasks/...nts_7.9.13.pdf

North of Edsall Rd on 395, nothing is changing. If you are not HOV, you will not be able to use the HOV lanes in that stretch - presumably, those restrictions will only apply at the same hours they do now. South of Edsall Rd until about the Prince William Pkwy, there will be 3 HOT lanes, but south of Prince William Pkwy, there will only be 2 HOT lanes. At least, that's how I'm reading the map.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:20 PM

128 posts, read 158,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
That is partly correct, at least as I understand it. There is a map of the whole project here: http://www.vamegaprojects.com/tasks/...nts_7.9.13.pdf

North of Edsall Rd on 395, nothing is changing. If you are not HOV, you will not be able to use the HOV lanes in that stretch - presumably, those restrictions will only apply at the same hours they do now. South of Edsall Rd until about the Prince William Pkwy, there will be 3 HOT lanes, but south of Prince William Pkwy, there will only be 2 HOT lanes. At least, that's how I'm reading the map.
If I recall the article, VA awarded a contract to build an HOV-on ramp (south-bound) at Seminary Rd. I assume to address the traffic congestion at that 395 on-ramp in the afternoons. (Hmm....I wonder whether that big DOD monstrosity has anything to do with that...).

Old 03-13-2014, 07:49 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
Lightbulb fines and more fines

Ah the pleasures of dealing with bureaucratic processes of tracking fees and addressing the problem when it gets out of hand. This guy had fees upwards of $6000 but ended up paying a couple hundred after he went to a TV station for assistance. He's not the sharpest knife but should his complaints have kept being ignored?

Driver charged with $6,000 in tolls on 495 Express Lanes - WTOP Mobile
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia