Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 09:18 AM

24 posts, read 63,590 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for the replies so far, keep em coming. There is so much info here that my head is spinning. I understand the trade-off between mortgage dollars and commute. Seems to me that given our budget we may end up in something older/smaller than we are used to in order to have a better commute for DH. I don't plan on working right away but may end up working once we are settled, as I said before. I would think that we will most likely rent for awhile before we jump into buying something that we may or may not like. Ultimately I would love to live in a neighborhood with lots of kids, that is safe and family friendly. We are a 30 something couple and enjoy hanging out with neighbors/friends having cookouts and things like that. This might not be very PC but I want to be realistic. I don't want to be in a place that 2 streets over you have section 8 housing or drug/crime issues to worry about. I also don't want to live a in place so stuffy that people turn their nose up at you because you don't drive a BMW, a lexus or becasue your kids aren't in the best preschool program in the world. We are down to earth people and want to be around other down to earth people. School is a big deal for us since both my dd and soon to be son will grow up in the area. I know private school is always an option but that can get expensive from what I have read. I am sure this is a lot to ask but I am getting great tips and feedback from everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 12:29 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,105,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrip22 View Post
We are a 30 something couple and enjoy hanging out with neighbors/friends having cookouts and things like that. This might not be very PC but I want to be realistic. I don't want to be in a place that 2 streets over you have section 8 housing or drug/crime issues to worry about. I also don't want to live a in place so stuffy that people turn their nose up at you because you don't drive a BMW, a lexus or becasue your kids aren't in the best preschool program in the world.
I don't think your expectations are unrealistic. I also agree that renting is a very good option before buying so that you choose a neighborhood that is right for your family. I have found Burke/Fairfax to be very family-friendly. I've met many moms and it's been easy to keep my toddler active and entertained with playgroups, the park, library activities, swimming, etc. Our neighbors have been very friendly (welcoming us with baked goods, inviting us over to dinner, poker games, cook outs, book clubs). Frankly, it's been much better than I anticipated since I used to live in Arlington and Alexandria for many years when I was single and a newly wed and I don't remember having as many opportunities to get to know my neighbors. Good luck.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:35 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Quote:
Ultimately I would love to live in a neighborhood with lots of kids, that is safe and family friendly. We are a 30 something couple and enjoy hanging out with neighbors/friends having cookouts and things like that. This might not be very PC but I want to be realistic. I don't want to be in a place that 2 streets over you have section 8 housing or drug/crime issues to worry about. I also don't want to live a in place so stuffy that people turn their nose up at you because you don't drive a BMW, a lexus or becasue your kids aren't in the best preschool program in the world. We are down to earth people and want to be around other down to earth people. School is a big deal for us since both my dd and soon to be son will grow up in the area. I know private school is always an option but that can get expensive from what I have read. I am sure this is a lot to ask but I am getting great tips and feedback from everyone.
What you are describing is the dominant lifestyle across a broad swath of NoVa. There are very few 'bad areas' in NoVa. There are tons of excellent schools in NoVa. Most people who live here do so because they were seeking the same things you are and found them here. Some people had to stretch a little to afford the initial buy-in, but they thought it would be worth it, and they were right. One thing you might look into here is membership in a neighborhood swim club. There are more than 100 of them in NoVa, so there will likely be one near you. Between Memorial Day and Labor Day, these become one of the primary social hubs in the area, with all the sorts of social activities you are hoping for. Some can be a little pricey, and some have waiting lists, but particularly with many years of kids who do not have school in the summer ahead of you, a pool membership could be a godsend. Otherwise, you can pretty much relax. Almost any of the areas around Fairfax will be fine. It'll just be a matter of what you can afford when. Renting first is a very good idea. You can form your own impressions of what that you like is where and then make the longer-term decisions in a way that makes sense to you and what your hopes and ambitions are...

Old 10-12-2007, 10:03 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,502,785 times
Compared to the rest of the country - almost all the schools are better here - especially in Fairfax County.
You can buy a nice house in the town of Fairfax in the mid 400's - in an excellent neighborhood - prices are going down fast around here.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:25 AM

24 posts, read 63,590 times
Ok, so I have been reading many different posts and have some good ideas about where we should look. Can someone tell me what areas we want to avoid? Areas that would be to long of a commute to Fairfax, crime, not so great schools, or any other relevant info.
Thanks in advance

PS my DH's new employment is near the Pan Am Plaza on Nutley Street, zip code 22031

Old 10-15-2007, 09:41 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,683,672 times
I don't know that area well enough to give you specifics but you should be able to find plenty of nice neighborhoods and good schools.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:32 PM

504 posts, read 1,212,654 times
Quote:

PS my DH's new employment is near the Pan Am Plaza on Nutley Street, zip code 22031
That's a very good work location since you can get to it from Vienna, Dunn Loring, Oakton, etc. from many main roads (I-66, Rt. 123, Rt. 50, Lee Hwy, etc.). Depending on exactly where near PanAm plaza, he could even walk to work from the Vienna metro station. There is a shortcut for pedestrians from the metro station on the south entrance.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:01 AM

9 posts, read 27,357 times
Default Buying guidlines.

Don't touch any property that is not 30-50% off of 2005 prices, you would be just the next 'greater fool' and catching a ‘falling knife’. I would suggest renting for awhile maybe 1-2 years. Don’t listen to real-estate agents, they are commissioned sales people that don’t even require a high school education; the only interest they have is there own; use a real estate attorney who will be responsible to you and you alone! In all things BE CAREFULL if you buy in haste, be prepared to be underwater for close to a decade.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:21 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,887,311 times
my advice would be to have your realtor check the avg house cost in the neighborhood for 2005 and take 50K-100k off of that price to get a realistic price today. Some homeowners are pricing the homes considerably lower some are not. 50% is a good rule because if that house would have sold for 650k in 2005 your are saying that now you'd pay 325K and that just won't happen inside the loop. 550-525k would be better.

Here in Loudoun we are running about 75-125k under what we were running in 2005. Houses that sold in 2005 for 500-550k are now SELLING for 415-430k. Yes, they are still overpriced but that is this area.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:07 PM

9 posts, read 27,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
my advice would be to have your realtor check the avg house cost in the neighborhood for 2005 and take 50K-100k off of that price to get a realistic price today. Some homeowners are pricing the homes considerably lower some are not. 50% is a good rule because if that house would have sold for 650k in 2005 your are saying that now you'd pay 325K and that just won't happen inside the loop. 550-525k would be better.

Here in Loudoun we are running about 75-125k under what we were running in 2005. Houses that sold in 2005 for 500-550k are now SELLING for 415-430k. Yes, they are still overpriced but that is this area.
----------

"It is different here" does not cut it anymore. I have already passed up houses that were 50% off of 2005 prices (not inside beltway). If you are buying there is NO reason to use a realtor, all virgina tax information is available online, school information, crime information is all available, they add no value. Oh indeed we will see 50% reductions in the beltway...all it requires is patience.

-N
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia