Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 11:32 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,458,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I think it is a valid consideration for figuring out the COL of living against two places. Another place that has this dilemma is the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky area. Northern Kentucky property is cheaper as far as rent goes but there is a personal property tax on cars, where as on the Ohio side there is no property tax on cars but the rent is higher.
It's a consideration, but it definitely shouldn't be your sole or primary consideration.

You would really need to go through this list and figure out an approximate difference for each (if applicable) and do a net comparison:

- car tax
- state income tax
- county income tax (only for MD - it's combined w/ the state one)
- real estate property taxes
- sales tax
- gas tax
- auto insurance

So in other words: how much do you make, how much is your house worth, how much is your car worth, how much do you drive, and how much do you spend out and about?

Depending on those, it may be a wash, or it may be one is clearly favorable to the other. It all depends. I would say the "favorable" to one side probably has a higher % for Fairfax than it does for MoCo, but you would really have to see for your own situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 12:05 PM

91 posts, read 228,865 times
Sure you can consider in for COL but I would guess that would be offset by the savings in insurance/income taxes. Obviously, other factors to consider - proximity to employement (gas, etc). Where in MD is OP from? With the new table games allowed he might want to consider staying and letting it ride.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,010 times
I have a 2014 2500 gmc sierra, and a 2000 f-150. The gmc is 511.00 in tax every 6 months. The f-150 is around 50.00 every 6 months.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:58 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,314,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woot21210 View Post
Hello,
I am considering a move from md to va since I have heard that its cheaper in va then md and less car insurance rates and less income tax plus more jobs and just as good schools. But I have also seen that you have to pay a ton of money each year in property tax on your car. This is stupid I don't use any city services and if I do i still get a bill from them so what am I paying for? Would anyone be able to shed some light on this? And is there anywhere in va that doesn't do this? I pay $142 to renew tags in md and do not want to pay higher for saftey inspection and tags then I already do. So please share all you can on this topic so I can make my decision. I was considering Winchester or Fredericksburg area. What are your thoughts on these areas? Good? Bad? Thanks!!
I wouldn't consider it a ton of money. Plus it's tax deductible. Even a new car shouldn't cost you more than $500 per year unless it's a luxury car. My 07 Nissan which cost close to 30k ran me about $350 per year when it was new if I remember correctly and has decreased every year. I believe now it's around $200 or a little under. In the grand scheme this isn't that big of an expense. Like you said car insurance may be cheaper so your total car expenses may not change much at all.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:37 PM

97 posts, read 113,077 times
Each locality in Virginia has a web site where you can see their car tax rates.
Some even have a calculator for you. It's an annual tax though, based on blue book value of your car.
The fact that you're aware of it is half the game, you can sell your expensive Tesla Model-S before you get here!

Me, I'd get rid of (or reduce) the VA car tax because I think it is a bad tax for car sales. But I would simply add more tax to your house, so it's a no win situation. If you are aware of it, you can control it by your car purchase choices.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:09 PM

52 posts, read 64,051 times
This is a really old thread that somehow got resurrected. The problem with personal property taxes is that each county assesses its own tax rate and some towns assess an additional rate. For example: Loudoun County assesses what ever it assesses (it doesn't matter because it can change), while at the same time the town of Leesburg assesses its own rate (yes, in addition to Loudoun).

My 2008 Ford F250 diesel pickup truck is a personal use vehicle, but due to its GVWR (close to 5 tons), I do not get personal property tax relief. I pay the full brunt of the tax--and even though the vehicle is 7 years old, I'm still paying close to $800 per year in taxes. My 2013 Ford Fiesta, on the other hand, is a fraction (though still too much).

This much I know. Everyone's situation is different. This much I know: nothing in life is certain except death and taxes. Complaining about it won't accomplish anything. Buying other vehicles doesn't really accomplish anything either--I still need my 3/4 ton pickup. Other folks like the ones near the Maseratti dealerrhip in Sterling want (need) to go 185.

Moving to another state? I'm sure that the jury is out on that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia