U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 10:10 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,018,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I have no evidence that Ms Bulova has any interest in running for statewide office.
Perhaps nobody's asked? At least she's held elective office. McAuliffe apparently thinks he can pull a Mark Warner and jump right in as governor. He's no Mark Warner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 10:13 AM

8,772 posts, read 10,676,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Perhaps nobody's asked? At least she's held elective office. McAuliffe apparently thinks he can pull a Mark Warner and jump right in as governor. He's no Mark Warner.
I'm sure its occured to her without anyone asking, but if you think she's simply overlooked it, why not shoot her an email?

I will wait and see who else does run - meanwhile I note Mr McAullife has been quite active in Dem politics in Va, building up chits as it were, for several years now. In fact I believe the time I DID hear him was at Sharon's kickoff party last time she ran.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
I will wait and see who else does run - meanwhile I note Mr McAullife has been quite active in Dem politics in Va, building up chits as it were, for several years now. In fact I believe the time I DID hear him was at Sharon's kickoff party last time she ran.
When he was DNC chair he was a Hardball regular. I think I got tired of seeing him every night on TV.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
When he was DNC chair he was a Hardball regular. I think I got tired of seeing him every night on TV.

I have been blessed to not have cable TV. So I go into this without that baggage.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:39 AM

1,623 posts, read 4,323,852 times
Quote:
How is mcauliffe irrational?
"I'm Terry McAuliffe, and I approve of this message and I'll fight for education, clean energy, and high speed rail." Plus, my major qualification is that I'm buddies with and a major fundraiser for the Clintons.

That might work for Jim Moran's Congressional seat, but sounded out of touch for a state-wide office.

In 2009, jobs and the economy were the two biggest issues. Fixing major transporation issues in Northern Virginia, the Tidewater area, and Richmond without making rural areas think they are subsidizing those efforts was the next.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:07 AM

2,688 posts, read 5,951,545 times
Quote:
How about someone like Sharon Bulova?
Now that would be the ultimate voter suppression as all the voters would fall asleep listening to her.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:12 AM

3,489 posts, read 4,931,118 times
Quote:
What's wrong with this picture?

Kaine - 53%
Obama - 50%
VA Democratic House seats - 27% (3 out of 11)
But am I missing something?? 53 + 50 = 103% ?? Politics aside, I can't believe that none of you geniuses even noticed this very obvious mathematical error in the original post ??

Old 11-09-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
"I'm Terry McAuliffe, and I approve of this message and I'll fight for education, clean energy, and high speed rail." Plus, my major qualification is that I'm buddies with and a major fundraiser for the Clintons.

That might work for Jim Moran's Congressional seat, but sounded out of touch for a state-wide office.

In 2009, jobs and the economy were the two biggest issues. Fixing major transporation issues in Northern Virginia, the Tidewater area, and Richmond without making rural areas think they are subsidizing those efforts was the next.
Yeah, I was going to say that perhaps McAuliffe might work for a senate seat but for governor I'd actually want someone who's been involved in state or local issues. He seems like he wants to be governor just to put it on his resume. I hope someone else comes along to give me an alternative. Bolling should have an easy time with him if he can get past the primary.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:25 AM

2,670 posts, read 4,520,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
But am I missing something?? 53 + 50 = 103% ?? Politics aside, I can't believe that none of you geniuses even noticed this very obvious mathematical error in the original post ??
Why are you adding those #s together? Obama and Kaine did not run against one another. Maybe I'm missing your point-- or maybe you shouldn't be too quick to call others (sarcastically) "geniuses."

Old 11-09-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post

Is Bill Clinton unpopular in Va? Seems to me the GOP was talking up Bill recently, at least before the Dem national convention. For me the clinton connection is a sign of Miller being a moderate, pragmatic Dem - and any support he gets from the Clintons and their connections is to the good.

As for what was going on in the economy in 2009, there was little a governor could do to influence that, IMO. And he might well have emphasized different things in his general election campaign then he did in the primaries (thats not etch a sketching, just changing emphasis)

But again, Im not going to judge his campaigning skills in 2013 based on some ads from 2009. I am going to see what he says in 2013 (from a substantive POV, that he was concerned about education, clean energy, and HSR hardly seem disqualifying)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or