Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 05:02 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elacklen View Post

Since my husband has it off, we made plans for the "supposed" three-day weekend. Obviously I should have looked at the calendar more closely. Whoops!

Did this surprise anyone else?
Keep your plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 05:28 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neen22 View Post
FCPS is not a fan of Veterans or Veterans day. They've never closed school for that. Teachers get two days off at the end of each quarter. Oops, I mean they get two 'teacher work days' at the end of each quarter.
I don't know why you put that in quotes. I didn't leave the building until 6:15 Tuesday, with plenty more I could have done. I took an hour in the morning to vote between conferences.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:26 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neen22 View Post
FCPS is not a fan of Veterans or Veterans day. They've never closed school for that. Teachers get two days off at the end of each quarter. Oops, I mean they get two 'teacher work days' at the end of each quarter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I don't know why you put that in quotes. I didn't leave the building until 6:15 Tuesday, with plenty more I could have done. I took an hour in the morning to vote between conferences.

tgbwc - some people don't understand that teachers work well outside of the 8am-3pm school day.

Also, I'm curious how many families plan something in observance of Veteran's Day or are trips planned just because of the anticipated long weekend? Are people upset that Veteran's Day is not being observed with a day off to allow families to attend tributes, etc. or are they upset because their child doesn't have a long weekend? "Yikes! We were planning to go to Disney that weekend!"

Last edited by HokieFan; 11-08-2012 at 09:36 AM..

Old 11-08-2012, 09:34 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
On a related note to Hokie's point, a nice teaching opportunity comes from having school open on Veteran's Day. Teachers often arrange with some of their students' parents who are in the military to come to school that day to give a talk. I am always at school that day to eat lunch with my daughter whose birthday is that day, and there are always several parents there wearing their military uniform. I also remember my younger daughter coming home last year and telling me, "Bobby's dad came and spoke to us today. His dad is a soldier!" It is likely they are commemorating Veteran's Day more by being at school than staying home.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:00 AM

687 posts, read 1,376,670 times
No place of business except government offices gets Columbus or Veterans Day off.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:10 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
tgbwc - some people don't understand that teachers work well outside of the 8am-3pm school day.

Also, I'm curious how many families plan something in observance of Veteran's Day or are trips planned just because of the anticipated long weekend? Are people upset that Veteran's Day is not being observed with a day off to allow families to attend tributes, etc. or are they upset because their child doesn't have a long weekend? "Yikes! We were planning to go to Disney that weekend!"
Quote:
michgc
On a related note to Hokie's point, a nice teaching opportunity comes from having school open on Veteran's Day. Teachers often arrange with some of their students' parents who are in the military to come to school that day to give a talk. I am always at school that day to eat lunch with my daughter whose birthday is that day, and there are always several parents there wearing their military uniform. I also remember my younger daughter coming home last year and telling me, "Bobby's dad came and spoke to us today. His dad is a soldier!" It is likely they are commemorating Veteran's Day more by being at school than staying home.
Hard not to agree with michgc and Hokiefan's sentiments. Veteran's Day didn't mean much to me that was different from any holiday off, even as a military brat. Now that my Air Force father is no longer living and seeing my mother dealing with military service related medical issues, it means more to me.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:11 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundman View Post
No place of business except government offices gets Columbus or Veterans Day off.
Not necessarily. Usually banks and particularily credit unions (like the one I work for) get both days off since they are technically federal holidays.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:25 AM

491 posts, read 1,170,106 times
A kind-of-related question for parents who have jobs outside the home: When there's a teacher workday scheduled and your child has no school, do you take the day off, too, to tend to your child? I'm not a parent, so I don't really know what other option you have, but this past Monday I noticed sooo many people out and about, and I had to figure that the adults had to take a vacation day to stay with the kids. It made me wonder whether there are any homegrown "businesses" that organize children's activities for those days (not that I'd particularly have the patience for more than 3 at a time, but I was just wondering ...) What do you do when you absolutely can't miss work that day?

What's the child's age that you'd let them stay at home by themselves or at a friend's house?

Old 11-08-2012, 12:01 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,723,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by persnicketygal View Post
A kind-of-related question for parents who have jobs outside the home: When there's a teacher workday scheduled and your child has no school, do you take the day off, too, to tend to your child? I'm not a parent, so I don't really know what other option you have, but this past Monday I noticed sooo many people out and about, and I had to figure that the adults had to take a vacation day to stay with the kids. It made me wonder whether there are any homegrown "businesses" that organize children's activities for those days (not that I'd particularly have the patience for more than 3 at a time, but I was just wondering ...) What do you do when you absolutely can't miss work that day?

What's the child's age that you'd let them stay at home by themselves or at a friend's house?
In Fairfax County, the RECenters offer camps, and for working parents that use School Age Child Care (SACC), the SACC programs are running both days.

I would let my 11 year-old stay home alone but not my 8 year-old.

Last edited by OrangeFish; 11-08-2012 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: fixed a typo

Old 11-09-2012, 06:35 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,724,411 times
I love having Veterans day off and the kid in school. I plan all kinds of me and hubby (a veteran) things.

As for days off during the year, like teacher work days, parents just have to plan accordingly. These days aren't surprises, and most parents have contingency plans for days like that, or when their kids are sick. Just part of being a parent and having to be flexible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia