Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2012, 06:04 PM

22,320 posts, read 11,839,329 times

Advertisements

Today, my husband was at Best Buy in Reston. When he came home, he told me that he noticed that the apartment complex on the other side of Reston Parkway by Temporary road had been torn down---and that the land has a chain link fence around it.

We remember when it was built back in the mid-80s. We were living nearby in The Sycamores (off Old Reston Avenue). Out of curiousity, we looked at the rents and quickly saw that we were paying less than the new place. The apartments that are now gone were originally called "Jonathan's Keepe" --- I don't know what the most recent name was. I always thought that these were "luxury apartments" due to the amenities.

So what's up with that? I'm assuming that the owner sold out to a developer? What is going to be built in its place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 07:35 AM

198 posts, read 357,383 times
This link has some information regarding the new plans:

Parc Reston Ready to Clear Way for Towers - Reston, VA Patch

Basically, just more high-rise condos in place of what was torn down.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:23 AM

947 posts, read 1,395,411 times
The complex was called Parc Reston, and it was one of the more affordable rental places in Reston. A couple of the buildings farthest away from Reston Parkway will remain, but as Nova Lurker has pointed out, the demolished units will be replaced by expensive high-rise units. All part of the yuppification of Reston that will occur with Metro coming out this way. Reston...the new Ballston.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:50 PM

Thank you, both, for the info! Interesting that the apartment complex (what's left of it) is now one of the more affordable complexes in Reston. As I mentioned, back when it was built, the rents were really high.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:42 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,518,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Thank you, both, for the info! Interesting that the apartment complex (what's left of it) is now one of the more affordable complexes in Reston. As I mentioned, back when it was built, the rents were really high.

despite what some think, many of the affordable complexes in the region weren't low end when they were built. As they have aged and obsolesced, they have 'filtered down'. That is something to consider when we worry that new building are all so pricey.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:01 AM

That's true, brooklynborndad. I think the older ones that periodically remodel and perhaps, add amenities hold their value. It's the older ones that weren't well maintained and have fallen into disrepair that become more affordable.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:32 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,520,951 times
The metro station coming to the area is making the returns on cost for total redevelopment a lot more attractive to those with the capacity to do so. Plus, only a handful of lenders with the capacity to fund costs associated with the level of quality and needed quantity that typically are seen around metro stops are gaining more comfort with putting, say, $80,000,000 into Reston now, thanks to the metro station. We're going to see this all the way down the toll road now, probably reaching to Leesburg.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:08 AM

467 posts, read 1,519,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS67 View Post
The complex was called Parc Reston, and it was one of the more affordable rental places in Reston. A couple of the buildings farthest away from Reston Parkway will remain, but as Nova Lurker has pointed out, the demolished units will be replaced by expensive high-rise units. All part of the yuppification of Reston that will occur with Metro coming out this way. Reston...the new Ballston.
It was inexpensive because its been on the chopping block for years, and limited funds have been put into upkeep. As far back as 2003, there was discussion of bulldozing it for an extension to Reston Town Center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia