U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 09:21 PM

9 posts, read 7,417 times

Advertisements

I am relocating from San Antonio to DC--Will be working in Falls Church. Trying to decide between Dupont, Clarendon and Old Town. Thoughts?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 09:37 PM

2,675 posts, read 4,540,907 times
What kind of neighborhood do you want? What is your budget? etc.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
What kind of neighborhood do you want? What is your budget? etc.
Budget would be 2500-3000

I'm an urban guy...High rise living is great, but also wouldn't mind a mid-rise...I prefer the amenities of a upscale apt complex.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:01 PM

69 posts, read 107,212 times
Hey there!!!!! I am relocating from Laredo!!!!! Gosh, we would have killed to live in SA rather than this arm pit of a town!!! We will be landing in Sterling in a couple weeks. Just wanted to wish you good luck!!

Old 11-15-2012, 04:20 AM

2,612 posts, read 4,772,790 times
You sound like a Clarendon kind of guy to me. Old Town is more quaint, old-folksy and touristy (no high rises, mostly pretty old apartments- like, 100 years old); Dupont is technically the most urban, since it's in an actual city, but it's really kind of a pain in the neck to live in DC if you work in Virginia. People I know who make that effort are mainly alternative lifestyle people, or young gay guys (or people in same sex marriages because it's possible in DC but not VA), or super artsy people. Housing in DC varies, but in Dupont its likely to be fairly old, similar to Old Town. Clarendon is suburban/urban, very clean, new, probably the most "hip" place in NoVa, a magnet for young professional people. There is a funny music video about it you can see here:

Arlington: The Rap - YouTube

Old 11-15-2012, 07:41 AM

882 posts, read 1,782,266 times
Now that's funny right there.... (and more than a bit true)
& yes, check out the Clarendon area.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:52 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,810,100 times
I completely agree with Clarendon. Although, the surrounding areas would work, too - Rosslyn, Courthouse, Ballston.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:19 PM

7,968 posts, read 18,094,647 times
Anywhere along the area known as "Orange Line Arlington" (for the color-coded Metrorail line that runs through it) would serve you well: Rosslyn, Courthouse, Clarendon, Virginia Square or Ballston. Of them, Clarendon is the mecca for Northern Virginia younger professionals. Your budget may get you a decent 2BR (which you could easily rent out if you wanted) and most prime 1BRs.

Any special reason you're considering Dupont Circle? It's definitely a lively neighborhood that happens to have a concentration of LGBT-friendly establishments (although said population has, anecdotally speaking, moved on to Logan Circle to live). Living near Foggy Bottom, Farragut West or McPherson Square Metro stations may be the best compromise between living in an uber-urban environment and minimizing your commute out to VA. Your budget should not be a problem for most 1BRs.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:10 PM

5,740 posts, read 8,982,977 times
San Antonio! I love that city.

As stated above, anywhere on the Orange Line will fit the bill, so long as you're within a half-mile or so of the Metro (train). There are mid- and high-rises not near the Metro, but they tend to be older and arguably less upscale.

Rosslyn (the eastern-most VA station on the Orange Line) has the highest of the high rises--but the tallest ones are very expensive, as most of them were built in the last 10 or 15 years. Court House is the next stop west, and the County is building a homeless shelter there, so FYI. Clarendon is as pricey as Rosslyn, but only very tall midrises--no skyscrapers. It's probably the hippest spot for young singles in NoVA. Ballston is full of young meatheads who can't afford Clarendon--full of drunk fratboys and thugs who go to the mall. As you go west, it gets more suburban. East Falls Church is in the middle of a building boom; if you're gonna buy, that's not a bad spot to invest in. Vienna (end of the line till the Silver Line is done)--same deal. West Falls Church--no idea.

BTW, coming from SA, you're definitely gonna have to adjust to the Mexican food here.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandieandangel View Post
Hey there!!!!! I am relocating from Laredo!!!!! Gosh, we would have killed to live in SA rather than this arm pit of a town!!! We will be landing in Sterling in a couple weeks. Just wanted to wish you good luck!!
Thanks!! Glad I wasn't in Laredo either : Good luck to you as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia