U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 12:08 PM

111 posts, read 210,989 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We will be moving to the DC area. Looking for a safe neighborhood - I understand nothing is safe nowadays but a place where there isn't police on the street every night. We have a dog - a German Shepherd - so if you know a pet friendly place, that would help. Not interested in night life or restaurants, we are very laid back, prefer to stay home and cook. Looking for a studio or 1BR up to $1,500/month. Would prefer to be on a metro line or near some bus that would take us to the metro line.

Which neighborhoods would be the best to look for a place? If you look at the DC area on the map - which areas would you recommend? North, South, East, West?? I appreciate any advice so I can start looking in more detail.

Thank you very much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 12:13 PM

1,994 posts, read 2,921,328 times
Where is your job? Commuting times can be very rough here so where you want to live should be based in large part in how close it is to your job.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:13 PM

I forgot to add that we work from home - so traffic/commute in the rush hour is not a factor. THANK YOU!!

Old 11-15-2012, 12:17 PM

1,994 posts, read 2,921,328 times
In that case your options are pretty huge. You need to narrow it down more with more of your likes and dislikes. I'm assuming by the fact you are posting in this forum that you want to live in Virginia, not DC proper or Maryland?

Do you want to live in a more urban, walkable neighborhood, or a more suburban, car-based neighborhood?

Old 11-15-2012, 12:42 PM

Hi, thank you so much for your reply! I don't necessarily have to live in VA but I figured I would start in this forum...I am open to Maryland and DC proper however, the DC proper may be a challenge with a large dog - meaning - the apartments won't take her. Then again - I have no idea!

As far as the other stuff - I live in NY now and would definitely prefer the walkability, but we do have a car as well. I would love to never use the car except maybe for big groceries. But it is not a deal breaker.

THANK YOU!!

Old 11-15-2012, 02:06 PM

7,926 posts, read 9,636,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etincelle77 View Post
Hi, thank you so much for your reply! I don't necessarily have to live in VA but I figured I would start in this forum...I am open to Maryland and DC proper however, the DC proper may be a challenge with a large dog - meaning - the apartments won't take her. Then again - I have no idea!

As far as the other stuff - I live in NY now and would definitely prefer the walkability, but we do have a car as well. I would love to never use the car except maybe for big groceries. But it is not a deal breaker.

THANK YOU!!
May I ask what is prompting this move to DC? If you work from home, I assume you can live anywhere in the world, so something must be pulling you here. Do you just like the area? If so, what specifically do you like about it? Are you moving here to be near family? If so, where do they live?

The answer to why you are moving here will help with suggestions.....

Old 11-15-2012, 02:28 PM

Well, I work from home and my significant other works for the government so we need to be in the DC area. That's all I can really say on here. :-) So it really is a move for the convenience of being near a lot of government facilities. Thank you!!

Old 11-15-2012, 02:32 PM

I guess I can also add as far as interests, we love cooking, taking our dog for walks, biking, exploring new places - restaurants, museums etc. I like the city feel vs suburbia feel. :-) But again, being in a safe neighborhood where I can have my dog is the most important thing. Thank you!

Old 11-15-2012, 02:46 PM

7,966 posts, read 18,039,589 times
Quote:
Well, I work from home and my significant other works for the government so we need to be in the DC area. That's all I can really say on here. :-) So it really is a move for the convenience of being near a lot of government facilities. Thank you!!
Well, while privacy issues may preclude you from saying exactly out of where your husband's operations will be based, do realize that commuting is indeed a bear here and suggesting, say Centreville, VA when your husband would have to go to Rockville would not make sense. Considering we are near the Nation's Capital, there are government facilities all over the place though the highest concentration would naturally be in the District proper.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:59 PM

7,966 posts, read 18,039,589 times
Quote:
I guess I can also add as far as interests, we love cooking, taking our dog for walks, biking, exploring new places - restaurants, museums etc. I like the city feel vs suburbia feel. :-) But again, being in a safe neighborhood where I can have my dog is the most important thing. Thank you!
The "easy answer" would be Alexandria, Arlington or perhaps Falls Church. Those are the three areas with the most urban, walkable neighborhoods Note that Alexandria and Falls Church are actual incorporated cities while Arlington, despite its mostly urban appearance, is actually a suburban county. Your budget will probably go the furthest in Falls Church.

In Alexandria, you can likely find an apartment in the West End area which is pretty safe while home to a broad cross-section of practical white-collar workers as well as aspiring younger professionals and blue-collar/service workers. If you could up your budget to maybe $1700-1800, that would open up some great options with apartments and condo rentals in or near Old Town as well as great walking and biking on the Mount Vernon Trail along the waterfront.

"South" Arlington will be more affordable for you than North; Shirlington *might* be in your budget though I'm not sure there are parks there to walk your dog.

All three areas have their fair share of local and chain restaurants with a fair amount of international flair. Museums and even more restaurants, culture and nightlife are accessible enough by taking the Metrorail into DC. (Don't drive unless you enjoy paying high parking garage fees.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or