U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 01:16 PM

132 posts, read 164,625 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have a tough decision to make between a townhouse in Huntington or Kingstown. Both costs similar.

Huntington is smaller and older (10 yrs. old) but I can walk across street and grab subway into DC for work. Nearby, there's no shopping or resturants within walking distance. Unless you drive to Old Towne or Eisenhower. Someone told me they will build hotel, high end condo, and retail in adjacent lot in next 2-3 years.

Kingstowne unit is much bigger and newer. Near shopping, movie theater and restaurants. About a 10 mins drive to Franconia station for commute. Very desirable neighborhood and nicer appeal at this point.

For long term investment, what is better? Subway station nearby or shopping/restaurants nearby?

I am thinking having a subway station across the street can't be beat. Retail and restaurants can pop up or shut down but subway is staying put.

Thoughts? Advice? What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 01:31 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,801,215 times
I've lived in both areas. For commute sake, I preferred Huntington. I went into Old Town all the time when I lived there, too. However, that area is not upscale like Kingstowne. It is really hard to say which is a better investment.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:39 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,727,515 times
What size condo? If you're playing the odds, a family would likely prefer Kingstowne, but 1 bdrm condo would appeal to singles or childless couples whose main priority would be metro access.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:44 PM

132 posts, read 164,625 times
Thanks for replies....only looking at townhouses for both places....Huntington is about 2,000 sq ft and Kingstowne is about 2,300 sq ft

Old 11-15-2012, 03:03 PM

7,965 posts, read 18,039,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalhockey View Post
Thanks for replies....only looking at townhouses for both places....Huntington is about 2,000 sq ft and Kingstowne is about 2,300 sq ft
In my humble layman's opinion, Huntington could have a better upside with its greater appreciation potential as an "up-and-coming" neighborhood. The military's Base Realignment Program (BRAC) effect on nearby Fort Belvoir may also shoot up prices in Kingstowne but perhaps not as dramatically. Just check to make sure the townhouse community you're considering is protected from potential flooding as Huntington is as vulnerable to that as anywhere in the area.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:55 PM

5,078 posts, read 5,344,717 times
Kingstowne.

I just think Kingstowne is a nicer, more appealing neighborhood. It's a well kept area and like you pointed out, has shopping and dining nearby. A Wegman's is being built on the corner of Beulah and Telegraph, and from I've heard it will be a town center at some point. I think it will increase the desire and interest to live in that area.

Huntington is not visually appealing, and I think the only advantage would be walking distance to the metro stop. I lived just a few miles south of Huntington, and I HATED the traffic on Rt. 1. It took forever to get anywhere - not just during rush hours, but on weekends, too. It was frustrating that it would take 30 minutes just to get to the grocery store.

Who knows, Huntington may be an "up & coming" neighborhood. But I'd rather invest in what is already a nice neighborhood instead of what "might eventually be" a nice neighborhood - especially, if the price of the home is equal.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:44 PM

23,565 posts, read 33,282,476 times
I'd go with Huntington. I think it is only a matter of time before gentrification really puts it mitts around the area. It is just a location matter and being close to a metro station don't hurt.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:10 PM

105 posts, read 161,020 times
I've lived in both communities, and there was literally no decision when I decided to buy: Kingstowne.

There are still many problems beyond flooding in Huntington- and it's questionable whether full gentrification will ever happen in the area. I'd advise you to do some research on the public position of some of the local officials regarding low income housing being a positive attribute for the community.

Kingstowne is plenty accessible via bus- I can be at the Metro quicker than I could've walked when I lived in Huntington. There's also more active HOAs in the area (just as an FYI since many people have strong opinions). If you're looking for the Ft. Belvoir audience, the Beulah-Telegraph commute is far easier than sitting on Route 1, IMO.

I lived in Huntington so I could have quick access to DC at an affordable price on an entry-level salary without having 5 roommates. There are some great attributes to the community, and I miss some of my regular haunts. That said, I wouldn't trade life in Kingstowne. There are plenty of green areas around if that's your thing, and it certainly has more of a traditional suburban feel.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:54 PM

2,688 posts, read 5,950,700 times
What HokieFan and Starletta said.

Kingstowne.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:45 AM

8,555 posts, read 12,617,038 times
Which schools do each of the townhouses feed into? Even if you don't have children, schools can play a big part in resale value. Of course, schools change over time, but in the 12 years I lived there the top 5 schools in Fairfax County (based on test scores) stayed more or less the same, and the bottom 5 schools stayed more or less the same.

I don't know much about either area, but overall, from what little I know, Kingstowne is the more appealing area, especially for families. And with a 2000+ square foot townhouse, families would definitely be in the market for your townhouse. Huntington has more risk associated with it and potential for more reward, but also potential for it staying the way it is. Kingstown is less risky as it is already a desireable area. If schools are in Kingstowne's favor, too or if they are equal, my vote goes toward Kingstowne.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia