U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2012, 06:00 PM

4,521 posts, read 5,234,330 times

Advertisements

Everyone knew this area is under construction but I had no idea that it was scheduled to go on through April, 2013.

I use the word improvements lightly since traffic problems have doubled and the backups during rush hour now start on 123 vs. half way up the hill. In addition to traffic congestion, more people are using the pass-through in Occoquan and trying to merge at the usual congested spot near the realtor's shop nearing the top of the hill.

Here is a message from the supervisor of the project spelling out all the progress that they are working on... Old Bridge Road Update from Supervisor Mike May - Lake Ridge-Occoquan, VA Patch

And the update that they now are ahead of schedule Old Bridge Road Work Done by Year

Not sure why it takes so long to shut one lane down (shrink traffic lanes) and redo some concreate barriers in the median. If they would fix the timing of the stoplights on Old Bridge, this would alleviate 90% of the congestion. During the morning and evening rush hours, they should make Old Bridge stoplights stay green for a solid two, maybe three minutes. It seems that once traffic starts, another red light. Once everyone passes Tacket's Mill, it's smooth sailing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 06:34 PM

499 posts, read 1,897,892 times
I have come to loathe Old Bridge. For my morning commute, there's no better option for me. My afternoon commute allows me to miss I- 95 congestion so I'll take it to PWP and then turn right on Old Bridge for the mile or so I need before I can turn into my neighborhood.

Better timed traffic lights would definitely be nice. It would also be nice if more people could reasonably merge when it goes down a lane instead of the hyper-aggressive driving, which seems to always bottle neck it more. I'm sure there's a great reason why the work is not being done at night but I sure wish it was.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:38 PM

968 posts, read 1,447,327 times
I am SO glad we moved out of Lake Ridge earlier this year. We still own our home there (couldn't afford to sell...) and are renting it out, so I've had to drive back down there a few times, and WOW it's awful, even in the middle of the day nowhere near rush hour!

Old 11-19-2012, 07:29 AM

5,104 posts, read 5,395,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
I use the word improvements lightly since traffic problems have doubled and the backups during rush hour now start on 123 vs. half way up the hill. In addition to traffic congestion, more people are using the pass-through in Occoquan and trying to merge at the usual congested spot near the realtor's shop nearing the top of the hill.
We won't see the improvements until construction is completed. While the road is under construction, back-ups and delays are to be expected.

The last time I used Occoquan as a pass-through, I noticed the sign that said "No Left Turn between 3pm-7pm" - so I haven't used it since. If there was a cop stationed down there, they could generate quite a bit of revenue for the town of Occoquan.

Outside of evening rush hour, I haven't run into any back-ups.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:36 AM

687 posts, read 1,131,726 times
Old Bridge Road is a mess. There are multiple rear end collisions on that road every day because of all the stop and go traffic. The traffic starts moving, driver becomes distracted for a second and doesn't realize the traffic has stopped again after only going 25 yards, so they rear end the car in front of them. Unfortunately, the changes to the medians aren't going to make much of an improvement because their will still be the same numbers of lanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or