Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 12:16 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,149,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Yeah moving might not be the best indicator because often a spouse will move and the household goes from two income to one income while the other spouse looks for a job.
I don't think that's the main reason why the DC number is what it is. In order to address that a little more usefully, we'd have to see neighborhood-by-neighborhood or at least a quandrant-by-quadrant break down of the numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 05:26 AM

201 posts, read 490,633 times
I read somewhere that the unemployment rate in the neigborhood near American University in NW Washington DC which is mostly White College Educated Yuppies is like 2%, even in the worst job market since the Great Depression.

I work in a DC employer with lots of low skilled poorly educated workers in one of our divisions. You should see these workers resumes and watch them in job interviews. I see see why SE Washington DC has such a high unemployment rate.

Old 11-25-2012, 01:54 PM

Judging from the numbers, Virginia, especially Northern Virginia, has out-performed its local competition. Aside from the usually-cited lower taxes and business-friendly environment, what advantages does it have over Maryland and DC?

Old 11-25-2012, 02:03 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
Judging from the numbers, Virginia, especially Northern Virginia, has out-performed its local competition. Aside from the usually-cited lower taxes and business-friendly environment, what advantages does it have over Maryland and DC?
Dulles and National airports are more popular than BWI with business travelers. Plus Dulles is a true international gateway. VA also has the Pentagon, although that's not terribly inconvenient to MD and DC. Most of the parts of MD that are in close proximity to Capitol Hill aren't particularly nice.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Dulles and National airports are more popular than BWI with business travelers. Plus Dulles is a true international gateway. VA also has the Pentagon, although that's not terribly inconvenient to MD and DC.
Have you ever seen the effects of these quantified in terms of chronically higher employment compared to MD and DC?

Old 11-25-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Have you ever seen the effects of these quantified in terms of chronically higher employment compared to MD and DC?
My assessments are purely subjective based on living here 20+ years. Someone like BBD or Tysonengineer would likely have actual data. When I moved here to work on Capitol Hill I was given advice to look and live in VA since I had a family in need of an SFH. At the time, the nicer areas closest to my job were in VA. I picked Mount Vernon and stayed, never regretting that decision.

One other possibility is folks in NoVA are more likely migrants with jobs already lined up versus in MD where you have a lot more multi-generational residents. But again that's all based on grandfather research.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 11-25-2012 at 02:28 PM..

Old 11-25-2012, 03:19 PM

I think airports and the Pentagon help, but I would suspect they are not the main reasons why in the recent years VA and especially NoVA seem to out-employ MD and DC. After all, the airports and the Pentagon have been here for some time now.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I think airports and the Pentagon help, but I would suspect they are not the main reasons why in the recent years VA and especially NoVA seem to out-employ MD and DC. After all, the airports and the Pentagon have been here for some time now.
Like with real estate values - location, location, location.

It's likely the happy confluence of a number of factors, not just one thing.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
It's likely the happy confluence of a number of factors, not just one thing.
And it is exactly that "number of factors" I am asking others to contribute, in addition to the oft-stated propinquity to DC, lower tax rates (than other jurisdictions in the area) and business-friendly environment.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
And it is exactly that "number of factors" I am asking others to contribute, in addition to the oft-stated propinquity to DC, lower tax rates (than other jurisdictions in the area) and business-friendly environment.
Why did Silicon Valley grow up around San Jose rather than the East Bay or Marin? There you don't even have any variation in tax rates or business regulation. It just happened perhaps aided by some preexisting core industry (Lockheed in that case). Certain places take on a critical mass and the momentum builds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia