U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-26-2012, 10:58 AM
 
165 posts, read 174,090 times
Reputation: 92

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
What cracks me up about those states that have a lot of people who want to secede is that they are the states that rely on the federal government the most. Go down the list and basically every southern state receives more money from the federal government than the pay in. Who will subsidize these people when they secede?

Frankly, im more interested in nova seceeding from the rest of virginia.
I gotta look that sucksession word up at the liberry.

...Now you have a good point. If NOVA folks and minorities in general have been so oppressed by the rest of Virgina, why would they want to be part of it? I am sure that NOVA will continue to have funding sucked away from it for years to come as well as many other Dillon rule oppressions.

I haven't gone down the list, but Texas certainly pays in more taxes than it pays. It's the main suckseeder.

 
Old 11-26-2012, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, formerly DC and Phila
8,558 posts, read 12,638,406 times
Reputation: 8326
People just don't think these things through. It would take years and years for a state to be successful on its own, and it would most likely cost more to live there. Many of the red states are landlocked states and would have a tough time trading with other countries. At least Virginia has a port.

My guess is most residents would move back into the USA within a few short years of living in their independent state. What makes me go "huh?" is that most people who say they want to secede are saying that because there is no country they would move to that would be more to their liking than the US because the US is already more conservative politically than most of them. Canada has national healthcare as do most European countries such as UK and Germany. Australia does too. Furthermore, all of these countries are less religious, as a whole, than the US. And most, with a few exceptions, do not allow public citizens to own guns.

I'd actually enjoy seeing one of the states break off on its own to see how well they would survive. My guess it that it would be pitiful. Virginia is included in this list - I don't see how they could survive on their own.
 
Old 11-26-2012, 11:36 AM
 
939 posts, read 1,606,256 times
Reputation: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOCCC View Post
I gotta look that sucksession word up at the liberry.

...Now you have a good point. If NOVA folks and minorities in general have been so oppressed by the rest of Virgina, why would they want to be part of it? I am sure that NOVA will continue to have funding sucked away from it for years to come as well as many other Dillon rule oppressions.

I haven't gone down the list, but Texas certainly pays in more taxes than it pays. It's the main suckseeder.
Texas is literally the ONLY one that does, and a lot of that has to do with the Natural Resources Texas has. The rest of the south (including Virginia) contributes way less than it consumes. I say let them go, let them become the New New Mexico, and then build a border fence resembling the great wall. It won't be 10 years until the Southern States will be rife with poverty, crime and decay, begging for re-admittance. I just hope VA wises up before this inevitably happens and goes with the winning side.
 
Old 11-26-2012, 12:39 PM
 
1,403 posts, read 1,849,518 times
Reputation: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOCCC View Post
I blame it mainly on immigrants who do not understand how this country works. It's not really their fault, as no one tries to inform them. I'm not sure that first-generation immigrants are even capable of fully understanding our Western outlook. Another is immigrants who want racial preferences, particularly Hispanics.
What about unmarried women and young folks? Since they voted by a wide margin for Team Obama, shouldn't you want to get rid of them as well as immigrants?

With that out of the way, I am now going to shock you and others by agreeing with you on one thing. Both Republicans and Democrats talk a lot about regulating immigration one way or another, but very few actually talk about mechanisms for assimilating immigrants.

I once attended a talk by Mark Krikorian who runs the Center for Immigration Studies, a fierce anti-immigration group. Most attendees expected Mark to launch into a tirade against immigrants, but his talk was actually more along the lines of "we have met the enemy and he is us." In other words, he was of the belief that the current cohorts of immigrants were not all that different from past "white" immigrants (I actually disagree with that, but that's another story altogether). He concluded that what changed over the years was "us" -- we created a "multicultural" environment, not the traditional melting pot, and that we no longer attempt to assimilate new arrivals.

As it relates to NoVA, however, I would say that the immigrants in this area tend to buck that trend to some extent. NoVA does draw more of the highly educated immigrants types (of all ethnic groups -- from British and Polish to Indians and Koreans) who appear rather indistinguishable, but for their appearances, from other highly educated Americans in short order in their habits and tendencies as well as, of course, largely Latino immigrants who form the backbone of the manual labor.

Interestingly, within some of these ethnic groups with recent immigration history, voting patterns diverge widely, with Indians (the most affluent) voting highly Democratic while Koreans voting mostly Republican.

As for affirmative action, here is hoping SCOTUS will strike that down once and for all, at least where state-funded schools are concerned.

Last edited by IndiaLimaDelta; 11-26-2012 at 01:35 PM..
 
Old 11-26-2012, 01:14 PM
 
165 posts, read 174,090 times
Reputation: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
What about unmarried women and young folks? Since they voted by a wide margin for Team Obama, shouldn't you want to get rid of them as well as immigrants?

With that out of the way, I am now going to shock you and others by agreeing with you on one thing. Both Republicans and Democrats talk a lot about regulating immigration one way or another, but very few actually talk about mechanisms for assimilating immigrants.

I once attended a talk by Mark Krikorian who runs the Center for Immigration Studies, a fierce anti-immigration group. Most attendees expected Mark to launch into a tirade against immigrants, but his talk was actually more along the lines of "we have met the enemy and he is us." In other words, he was of the belief that the current cohorts of immigrants were not all that different from past "white" immigrants (I actually disagree with that, but that's another story altogether). He concluded that what changed over the years was "us" -- we created a "multicultural" environment, not the traditional melting pot, and that we no longer attempt to assimilate new arrivals.

As it relates to NoVA, however, I would say that the immigrants in this area tend to buck that trend to some extent. NoVA does draw more of the highly educated immigrants types (of all ethnic groups -- from British and Polish to Indians and Koreans) who appear rather undistinguishable, but for their appearances, from other highly educated Americans in short order in their habits and tendencies as well as, of course, largely Latino immigrants who form the backbone of the manual labor.

Interestingly, within some of these ethnic groups with recent immigration history, voting patterns diverge widely, with Indians (the most affluent) voting highly Democratic while Koreans voting mostly Republican.

As for affirmative action, here is hoping SCOTUS will strike that down once and for all, at least where state-funded schools are concerned.
You know that POTUS is taking affirmative action to all levels now. Hopefully SCOTUS won't have to enforce its decision.

To your point... Liberals have made outreach to immigrants all over the place, but then they are everywhere anyway. I'm not even talking about putting out a conservative message. I'm just talking about the need to explain to immigrants the importance of freedom of speech (even when you disagree with it) the Constitution and vigilance towards institutions, etc. No one seems to do that. Mostly what they get is the liberal message, and the result is predictable.

One weakness with secession is that you still would have to get away from liberal (socialist) cultural dominance. I mean, do you block popular tv channels coming out of LA or NY? I am totally starting to see the brilliance of complete fanaticism and intolerance on the part of Islam. Not for me, but intolerance really starts to make sense in light of how our openness is leading to our destruction.
 
Old 11-26-2012, 01:18 PM
 
939 posts, read 1,606,256 times
Reputation: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOCCC View Post
I am totally starting to see the brilliance of complete fanaticism and intolerance on the part of Islam. Not for me, but intolerance really starts to make sense in light of how our openness is leading to our destruction.
Well fortunately for you there's already a world where that fanaticism defines public (including cultural) policy, and you're more than welcome to move there. I'm surprised this thread hasn't been locked yet.
 
Old 11-26-2012, 01:39 PM
 
165 posts, read 174,090 times
Reputation: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
Well fortunately for you there's already a world where that fanaticism defines public (including cultural) policy, and you're more than welcome to move there. I'm surprised this thread hasn't been locked yet.
Hopefully, this forum values freedom of speech to some degree. Don't take me wrong. I don't agree with intolerance. I just see the brilliance of it as a social construct. I could go into studies that have been made about it, but don't have the time.

We need to find a balance in this country between freedom of religion and speech, and disallowing those that are hostile towards our country. I agree 95 percent with the founding fathers, but they never expected that thinking would stop with their ideas. We need to work through the great failure that is taking place.
 
Old 11-26-2012, 02:05 PM
 
Location: Virginia
18,717 posts, read 26,858,034 times
Reputation: 42860
I don't see much that makes this a thread about northern VA. Might be a good topic for POC forum, though.
 
Old 11-26-2012, 02:11 PM
 
165 posts, read 174,090 times
Reputation: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I don't see much that makes this a thread about northern VA. Might be a good topic for POC forum, though.
I meant for it to be more NOVA but whatever. It hasn't produced much value from the responses that I've gotten. I just like the irony of the person who chided me for supposed intolerance and then said that I should be shut down.
 
Old 11-26-2012, 02:28 PM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,131 posts, read 27,039,871 times
Reputation: 6824
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOCCC View Post
You know that POTUS is taking affirmative action to all levels now. Hopefully SCOTUS won't have to enforce its decision.

To your point... Liberals have made outreach to immigrants all over the place, but then they are everywhere anyway. I'm not even talking about putting out a conservative message. I'm just talking about the need to explain to immigrants the importance of freedom of speech (even when you disagree with it) the Constitution and vigilance towards institutions, etc. No one seems to do that. Mostly what they get is the liberal message, and the result is predictable.

One weakness with secession is that you still would have to get away from liberal (socialist) cultural dominance. I mean, do you block popular tv channels coming out of LA or NY? I am totally starting to see the brilliance of complete fanaticism and intolerance on the part of Islam. Not for me, but intolerance really starts to make sense in light of how our openness is leading to our destruction.
SCOTUS doesn't enforce laws. That's an executive branch function. It only interprets how or if they apply to cases brought before them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:17 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top