Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 08:53 AM

165 posts, read 202,331 times

Advertisements

I personally believe that the is far too much old growth forest succession in NOVA and that some cutting should be done. Ellanor C. Lawrence Park - Natural History, Fairfax County Park Authority

On another topic, I was wondering if people thought that Virginia should secede from the United States. I personally don't advocate it (yet), but do believe that it should be discussed.

The problem is that voters are not able to elect a president who will control the deficit. As a result, the country is heading for a great crash, but, that's not of concern to Obama who will not be in office, or voters who are only looking out for their self-interests.

I blame it mainly on immigrants who do not understand how this country works. It's not really their fault, as no one tries to inform them. I'm not sure that first-generation immigrants are even capable of fully understanding our Western outlook. Another is immigrants who want racial preferences, particularly Hispanics. This is a REAL problem. Finally, the biased news media, but that's an old topic.

Just wondering that NOVA folks thought about it.

Last edited by BMOCCC; 11-26-2012 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: good idea

Old 11-26-2012, 08:58 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
On a personal note: since Virginia broke for Obama in the general election, it would appear that the majority of Virginians would not be interested in secession.

On a moderating note: it is easy to see how this topic may quickly devolve into general discussion unrelated to NOVA as well as the revival of general talking points. Doing the exact opposite of these actions will maximize the life of this thread and minimize infractions.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:59 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
I'm also not understanding why you didn't give the public park topic its own thread.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:11 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOCCC View Post
On another topic, I was wondering if people thought that Virginia should secede from the United States. I personally don't advocate it (yet), but do believe that it should be discussed.
Yeah, that worked out real well for us last time. Note it's spelled "secession", not "succession". I was thinking this was going to be a discussion of what happens if the governor dies in office.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:13 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
Um, why don't we leave that to the Texans? There's enough traffic on the bridges from NoVa into DC without having to go through passport control.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:17 AM

165 posts, read 202,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
On a personal note: since Virginia broke for Obama in the general election, it would appear that the majority of Virginians would not be interested in secession.

On a moderating note: it is easy to see how this topic may quickly devolve into general discussion unrelated to NOVA as well as the revival of general talking points. Doing the exact opposite of these actions will maximize the life of this thread and minimize infractions.
Good point, but it wasn't by that much, and NOVA apparently makes the difference now in elections. I don't think it's sealed Democratic/deficit spending, etc. yet, which is why now would be an interesting time to discuss it. Any state that could escape having to pay off the deficit or experience the crash would be a fortunate one indeed.

Ellannor C. Lawrence does deserve it's own thread. Just a wonderful place.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:57 AM

939 posts, read 1,892,134 times
I feel this thread will bring out a "succession" of misinformed trolls who likely intend to discuss the ridiculous topic of "secession" but are unable to coherently put together such frenzied thoughts into a realistic discussion and instead have used their frantic bitterness over the perceived loss of the "old country" to those who will lead us into the future as a basis for creating such discussions on forums all over the internet in recent weeks.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:04 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,527,400 times
What cracks me up about those states that have a lot of people who want to secede is that they are the states that rely on the federal government the most. Go down the list and basically every southern state receives more money from the federal government than the pay in. Who will subsidize these people when they secede?

Frankly, im more interested in nova seceeding from the rest of virginia.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:16 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Since a huge percentage of Virginians are employed by the federal government, why would they want to secede? This strikes me as the last state that would ever want that. Now succeeding is another question. Most people here want to succeed, there's no question about that.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:18 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
I feel this thread will bring out a "succession" of misinformed trolls who likely intend to discuss the ridiculous topic of "secession" but are unable to coherently put together such frenzied thoughts into a realistic discussion and instead have used their frantic bitterness over the perceived loss of the "old country" to those who will lead us into the future as a basis for creating such discussions on forums all over the internet in recent weeks.
Remember someone raised this on the WV forum and met with an overwhelming smackdown. Of course those folks seceded from the last secession. I do like idea of the secession from RoVA. However that would create a new red state so we'd need to get Puerto Rico admitted in return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia