U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-27-2012, 07:44 PM
 
11 posts, read 20,987 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
For 3 bedrooms and 2 full baths for around $1610/month, you can absolutely cross Arlington off your list. I would recommend you start looking on Craigslist for condos and townhouses you can rent from a private owner, as they sometimes offer better prices. I just rented out my 3 bedroom townhouse in Lake Ridge (Woodbridge - Prince William County) for $1550/month. Lake Ridge to DC is NOT a fun commute, but, in your price range and space requirements, it may be one of few viable options. I doubt you'll have any luck finding anything in Fairfax County. I bought a house in Sterling earlier this year, but I'm not sure about the rental market in the area, though I would guess the ones you could afford would be in less desirable neighborhoods.

I just did a search on Craigslist in NOVA for 3+ bedrooms with max rent of $1610, and some of them look like potential options. Of course, with not moving until next summer, the available options will likely change drastically.

I am thinking that craigslist probably will be my best option and because the move will be during the summer, I am sure my options will be mich more wide open as a lot of people move during the summer. This preliminary research on housing is stressing me out, however its opening my eyes as well and I think the summer will open up many more housing options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-27-2012, 07:56 PM
 
11 posts, read 20,987 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarterguy View Post
Where you work is going to make a huge difference on where you can live. DC (SW, SE, NW?), Northern or Southern Arlington, Old Town, Reston, Springfield...? You mentioned slugging so I'm going to assume DC. Remember, unless you're high up, parking is most likely not going to happen, unless you pay (cheapest all day parking I've seen is $8, if in my 8am).

Is Southern California that cheap (3 bdrm 2 ba for 1610?). That's what I'm paying for a 1 bedroom in Alexandria... although its on the nicer side. Safe, clean, and spacious 3 bedroom for under 2k will be tough, but doable, but you'll have to make some kind of compromise, mostly like commute time.

It depends where you live in Southern California. I lived in a 2bdrm apt w/garage and it was 1695.00, that was in San Diego, CA, then I lived in another 2bdrm/2ba no garage for 1295.00 that was in Riverside, CA a different county and is about 2 hours away from San Diego. Again, it all depends. Right now I rent a 3bdrm house w/2full bath for 1395.00. Again, location and county. Right now I commute about 40mins to work and the same going home. So I can definitely do 40mins because I am use to that. I get up at 6am so that I am at work no later than 8:15am. You mentioned parking? Sheesh, I haven't even begun to think about paying for parking. Maybe there is a monthly pass I can get for parking in a garage or company underground garage parking or something or maybe I'm dreaming. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2012, 09:03 PM
 
592 posts, read 851,780 times
Reputation: 607
You say you don't want to slug-so you have heard of that system. You could be a driver and use the HOV lanes which would cut down on your commute time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2012, 07:16 AM
 
968 posts, read 1,438,353 times
Reputation: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by got2moveon View Post
Right now I commute about 40mins to work and the same going home. So I can definitely do 40mins because I am use to that. I get up at 6am so that I am at work no later than 8:15am.
With your budget and space requirements, if you plan to get to work by 8:15am here, I would absolutely expect longer than a 40-minute commute because you're going to have to be located further out from the city. When I was commuting from Sterling to Merrifield (about 17 miles), it took about an hour leaving at 8:30am (and, by leaving at 8:30, I believe I missed the heaviest traffic that would have been a bit earlier). I've never had to travel the 66 corridor in rush hour(s), but I would imagine it's even worse (we actually opted for Sterling in part to avoid being along 66 - not that 7 is much better!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2012, 01:18 PM
 
1,326 posts, read 2,682,852 times
Reputation: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by got2moveon View Post
I am thinking that craigslist probably will be my best option and because the move will be during the summer, I am sure my options will be mich more wide open as a lot of people move during the summer. This preliminary research on housing is stressing me out, however its opening my eyes as well and I think the summer will open up many more housing options.
There will be more options open, but there will also be more people looking. It is not uncommon for you to have an appt to look at a place and it be rented before you get there. I also think a TH is more the way to go. People that come from other places don't realize how plentiful and varied the TH's are here, I didn't before I moved here.

And on the issue of parking..good point whoever brought it up. If you choose to drive you may or may not get a spot and some agencies - forget about it. Waiting lists and senior people only. And it can run upwards of $150 a month. For instance, to park at the Hoffman building which is in Alexandria, not DC it is $90. There is plenty of parking but you have to pay. If you choose public transport, you can receive a subsidy to offset your costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2012, 07:41 AM
 
691 posts, read 661,816 times
Reputation: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by got2moveon View Post
Hi,

I will be relocating from Southern California to NOVA in the summer. I am currently employed with the federal government and will be seeking continued employment with the federal government out in NOVA or DC. I am applying now as the federal government hiring process takes some time. However, in doing preliminary research I am not seeing a lot of things that I can one, either afford, or two is not worth the money they are asking. I have realized that with the cost of living out in NOVA, I will have to get an apartment which is fine with me. However, when I see one I like, the apartment ratings are horrible so where my list was maybe 10 strong, its dwindling down to a single digit number. I am interested in Arlington, Chantilly, Reston, Sterling, Vienna, and I guess some parts of Loudoun county. Ideally I would like to be in a 3bdrm apt w/2 full bath as I have 2 girls ages 8 and 10. My 10 year old expresses she really would like her own room because she is starting middle school and for the past 2 years she has finally had her own room but as I look on the apartment sites and floorplans and pricing, it just seems way out of my price range. I will only be in DC until summer 2016 so I would like to stay in the same apt for 3 years so my kids won't have to change schools in a new state. My price max is 1610. I know I will have standard working hours and I am not willing to do the slugging or VRE because should something happen to my kids being a single parent in a new state I want to be able to get in my own vehicle and go tend to my kids. Are there any suggestions on decent, spacious apartments? If there are areas in Maryland that are decent per commuting time, I would be willing to check them out as well.

Thanks

You need to add an additonal $1000 to your rent minimum for the size place you are looking for. What you are paying for is the quality of your NEIGHBORS. I am paying $2800 for a 2BD, 2BA, with Den in Vienna next to the Metro. That includes two underground garage spaces and rent for our two dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top