U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2012, 09:32 AM

2 posts, read 1,740 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are renting out a townhouse in Falls Church and wondering where we should be advertising besides zillow and craigslist. Where do people look when they are looking to rent a townhouse?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 10:50 AM

1,261 posts, read 5,609,658 times
You can try militarybyowner.com

Old 12-03-2012, 11:43 AM

968 posts, read 1,442,667 times
I would start with just Craigslist. I posted our Lake Ridge townhouse on CL and had 6 responses in less than 48 hours.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:42 PM

493 posts, read 1,008,471 times
Just to spread the word, the bulletin boards (either physical or e-mail type) at your places of work. And does your townhouse community have a listserve?
And I know it's hard to believe, but people still read the real-estate classifieds in the Washington Post -- especially the days that the open houses at for-sale properties are listed. I know it costs money, but ...
Falls Church has its own little weekly paper, I think, but I can't recall the name of it ...

Old 12-04-2012, 10:19 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,128,250 times
craigslist

or link up with a local realtor and have them market it. it'll end up in the local MLS, zillow, and the other syndicated sites like hotpads.com

craigslist wont cost you anything. Using a realtor will cost a bit but will get you more exposure, but can help with prescreening of potential candidates

Old 12-05-2012, 07:02 AM

8,555 posts, read 12,636,569 times
You can get your rental on hotpads without a realtor. We listed on Craigslist, Militarybyowner, hotpads, and AHRN (which is a military site). All of them were free except militarybyowner. We had the greatest response from Craigslist and ultimately found our renters from there. It definitely took some time answering phone calls and screening the applicants, but I am so glad we did it ourselves rather than go with a realtor, not only for the cost savings, but we really got great tenants in there who we "clicked" with.

We were close to getting a tenant but I just had a feeling from the endless questions he was asking me that he wouldn't be right, even though on paper, his application looked good. Then our current tenant popped up and I could tell by PERSONALLY talking to him several times on the phone, PERSONALLY talking to his previous landlord, and PERSONALLY talking to his employer that he would be a great tenant. If I relied on someone else to do that for me, I wouldn't have known his personality and likes/dislikes in a house. He even commented that he felt like it was a good fit because the questions I was asking him were questions he wanted to ask me - like we never smoked in the house, we preferred not having a pet there, etc.

It turns out they are AMAZING tenants. His check is sent automatically several days before the due date, he fixes little things himself - never calls to complain about anything, sends us our mail if we get any, etc. And I got that from our phone conversations. I could tell he was laid back about things and not a complainer type (and his previous landlord confirmed that). They have been dream tenants. This is my first time being a landlord, and I was a bit apprehensive to do it on my own, but I really feel that it worked out well for us because I got to know them personally. It IS time consuming, though. For about three weeks, I felt like I was just answering the phone, screening applicants, running applications, etc. In the end, it was worth the time investment.

BTW, I was nervous to use Craigslist (and I say this as someone who is a part-time eBay seller and who regularly lists things on CL as well) because I thought we'd get some kooks. But everyone who contacted me was a serious inquiry - no crazy people or people who were out in left field - expecting to pay $1500 for a $2500 house, for example. I was pleasantly surprised how professional it was.

ETA: My experience was for renting a single family home in Vienna this past spring, just so you know it was local to NoVA.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:49 PM

I used a realtor to rent out our townhouse. I did not have the time to pre-screen applicants myself, and with the property being an hour each way to/from my new home, I didn't have time to let people in for viewings. Luckily, we haven't had any issues with our tenant to date. Everyone tells me to just use craigslist next time, but I just don't have the time to sit on the phone, conduct reference/credit/background checks, set up viewings, etc., with an infant, a new SFH, and both my husband and I working full time. We'll likely go the realtor route again next time we need to find a tenant. It cost us one month's rent.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:09 AM

2 posts, read 1,740 times
I have used craigslist and zillow. I have definitely gotten weird spam lease to buy offers from craigslist, and some real showings. I agree with michdc that doing the screening and marketing myself gives me more control over who the tenants actually are. we initially signed a lease with these people who wanted really unreasonnable fixes to the house after they signed the lease and we had to completely back out of the lease with them. That definitely taught us a lesson about not signing up the first people that want to rent the house!

Old 12-18-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twomonsters View Post
we initially signed a lease with these people who wanted really unreasonnable fixes to the house after they signed the lease and we had to completely back out of the lease with them. That definitely taught us a lesson about not signing up the first people that want to rent the house!
Or about the importance of having a very thorough, well-worded lease/contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or