U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 07:30 AM

136 posts, read 190,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Make 'em pay for their own college. That way they won't fritter it away drinking. My dad paid for mine, and I did just that for a few semesters. If your kid can stomach 4 years in the military--at least I think it's 4 years--that post-9/11 GI bill is reportedly a gold mine. I'm serious; I don't think people value things they don't have to work for.
I see your point, but I still want to pay for a good chunk of their tuition. I got a full ride for undergrad, but had to pay the full bill for law school. With all those loans, I realized that my job choices were limited to the ones where I could afford to pay off my loans, and I want my kids to have more options and opportunities available to them. So I figure I would pay a good chunk and then have them cover the rest so that they're invested in their education, but not overly burdened.

The way I see it is, it was my choice to bring them into this world. And like all parents, I have an obligation to prepare them for it once I made that choice. For me, that includes helping out with college costs, but I understand how people might see it differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 07:47 AM

8,555 posts, read 12,619,006 times
I don't think whether you pay for college for them or not will decide whether they value it or not. By that thinking, students won't work hard in high school either since very few students pay for their own high school, yet many students do. The key to whether students value their time in college is HOW YOU RAISE THEM not if you pay for it. My parents paid for my college - every last dime, including expenses, yet I was a very conscientious student. I knew my dad worked hard for years in order to pay for all his children to go to college so we could have an easier life than he did. I valued what he did for me and did not squirrel it away. I refused to "blow off" class because I was tired or hungover or just didn't feel like going. In four years of going to school, I missed fewer than 5 classes total and that was because I was truly sick. I valued education because my parents taught me to, not because I paid for it. I didn't want to fritter away my parents' money any more than I wanted to fritter away mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia