U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 02:19 PM

96 posts, read 134,608 times

Advertisements

If you want one of the largest and best used bookstores in the area (Metro DC/MD and N VA areas), go to Frederick, MD and also Hagerstown, MD locations of Wonder Book and Video. Wonder Book has over 100,000 forms of media (i.e. DVD's, VHS's, records, cassette tapes, CD's, Computer Games, Video Games, and new/used books). Most books are ones that you never find in smaller used bookstores.

The used books are in forms of genre (i.e. History, Homeschooling, Cookbooks, Kids' Books, Literature, Non-Fiction, Fiction, Mathematics, Science, Home Improvement, and all other types of genre)! Great prices and you can sell or trade your media/books.

Since we homeschool, farm, and love to read (as well as our kids), Wonder Book is a treasure trove filled with all great types of books/media.

Also, McKay's Used Books in Manassas, VA is also a great resource for the same forms of media/used books listed above. You can also sell or trade items at McKay's Books.

Prosperos' Used Bookstore is also great in Old Town Manassas, VA. Great place to sell/trade books too. Great resource for History buffs and books.

Web sites are below--enjoy!

Wonder Book - Wonder Book (Wonder Books' site/info.)
Richard McKay Used Books, Inc. (McKay's Books' site/info.)
Book Store Antique Maps Prints purchase on-line shopping Manassas VA 20110 - Prosperos Books formerly RA Books - Specializing in Military History, Americana, General and Hardback Fiction. Large book inventory. Antique prints and maps. Buy, sell, trad (Prosperos' site/info.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 07:18 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,634,459 times
I am THRILLED about this. I love the Container Store and I hate the ingress/egress of the one in Tysons, especially now with the Metro construction. I have gone to the one in Clarendon a few times but only if I was already over there for something else. But I could get to one in RTC and back during my little window of free time in the morning when my kids are at preschool.

Not sad about losing B&N. I prefer the library (I have an MLIS, though I don't work as a librarian) and I do occasionally buy e-books when I get Amazon gift cards. I download e-books from Loudoun County Public Library, and I do an annual big book buy for my kids at the LCPL book sale ($10/grocery sack on the last day).

A lot of people don't know this, but most of the library systems in the DC metro area will allow you to apply for a library card if you live in one of their reciprocal jurisdictions. For example:

You can get a Fairfax County Public Library card for free if you live in:
DC
Montgomery, Frederick, Prince Georges counties in Maryland
Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, Fauquier, Prince William counties in Virginia
Alexandria, Falls Church, Manassas, and Manassas Park cities in Virginia

You can get a Loudoun County Public Library card for free if you live in:
DC
Montgomery, Frederick, Prince Georges, and Charles counties in Maryland
Arlington, Fairfax, Fauquier, Prince William, Clarke, Frederick counties in Virginia
cardholder of Thomas Balch Library in Leesburg

You can get an Arlington County Public Library card for free if you live in:
DC
Montgomery, Frederick, Prince Georges counties in Maryland
Alexandria and Falls Church cities in Virginia
Fairfax, Fauquier, Loudoun, and Prince William counties in Virginia

Not only is this great for borrowing, but it also gives you access to their online subscription databases.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:46 AM

10,830 posts, read 26,338,550 times
I am not surprised because as mentioned that's an expensive location, plus that store always was dead anytime I was in it. Now, perhaps I am used to B&N with more traffic, but I do not get that same impression from Fair Lakes or Tysons. Tysons is always busy, but being in the mall by the restaurants, there's a good deal of foot traffic, especially if there is a wait for a table to open at a given dining establishment. Even the Seven Corners store seems to be busier than Reston seemed to be, on the occasions when I went to it.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia