Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2012, 08:55 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,501,818 times

Advertisements

http://www.fabb-bikes.org/summit/Fio...BikeSummit.pdf

unfortunately this is a GOOD powerpoint where the authors points are NOT written out on the slides - so I dont have a clear answer to the title (who bikes in fairfax) from the slides (I wish I had been at the summit to hear what sounds like a great presentation) Nonetheless the slides are interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 09:08 AM

882 posts, read 2,082,313 times
Bike to Costco?
Heh.
Triple Heh. Oh, and it was 24F w/a stiff wind when I walked out this AM. As a human being willing to use my brain to achieve goals, I'll drive.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayess1 View Post
Bike to Costco?
Heh.
Triple Heh. Oh, and it was 24F w/a stiff wind when I walked out this AM. As a human being willing to use my brain to achieve goals, I'll drive.
I'm no big fan of costco myself - some people do manage a bag of groceries in a bike basket - and some folks get cargo bikes that could handle a crate - that could handle a few of the bargain delicacies there, but not a typical Costco shopping experience. I guess she tossed in Costco to be particularly visionary about whats possible (she mentioned libraries too, and Ive certainly biked there).

Certainly lots of people who choose to bike won't do so in all conditions. We've got a thread on winter biking you might enjoy.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:27 AM

437 posts, read 1,223,505 times
Quote:
Oh, and it was 24F w/a stiff wind when I walked out this AM. As a human being willing to use my brain to achieve goals, I'll drive.
Some of us can use our brains to get appropriate riding gear. 24 degrees isn't that cold for riding with your body covered as you are heated up by the exercise. But you can keep stuffing that big brain in your car if you want! (Hopefully not with a big stomach to match it...)

Old 12-06-2012, 11:45 AM

882 posts, read 2,082,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornindc View Post
Some of us can use our brains to get appropriate riding gear. 24 degrees isn't that cold for riding with your body covered as you are heated up by the exercise. But you can keep stuffing that big brain in your car if you want! (Hopefully not with a big stomach to match it...)
?? Why the insult? Really not helping your cause (whatever that is).

Old 12-06-2012, 11:52 AM

heres another presentation on becoming a Bike Friendly Community

http://www.fabb-bikes.org/summit/And...Summit2012.pdf

Not much thats NoVa specific in this one - I do like the discussion of three different classes of cyclists - the strong and fearless, the confident and enthusiastic, and the interested and concerned. I guess BorninDC, like many dedicated enough to commute in winter, falls in the first category.

I myself am in the second, I would say.

Last edited by brooklynborndad; 12-06-2012 at 12:06 PM..

Old 12-06-2012, 12:03 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,338,293 times
Quote:
....says the person who just implied that people who bike in the winter aren't using their brains.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:06 PM

437 posts, read 1,223,505 times
Quote:
No insult intended. I honestly hope you are in good shape and have other ways to exercise. Might need to check that skin thickness though.

No "cause" here. Ride a bike or not, whenever you want, up to you. Just pointing out that 24 degrees isn't very cold if you are dressed for it.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:29 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,113,429 times
I bike when it's down in the 20s. I just wear two layers of underarmour instead of one. However, I don't commute since I work from home. My rides are just for fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia