Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 10:52 AM

32 posts, read 62,647 times

Advertisements

Hi. My family and I are moving to the Chantilly area in Jan. My husband will be working in Chantilly and we need to find a place to live. We have 3 young children so a family friendly neighborhood and good schools are at the top of our priority list as is a good commute for my husband. Any suggestions on neighborhoods? We also need reccomendations for a pediatriatian, preschool, and activities for the kids (dance, gymnastics, tee-ball, etc.)

I have heard a lot of debate about the Louden vs Fairfax school districts. I have looked into these districts some and noticed that Louden has half-day kindergarten and Fairfax has whole day. We have kids that will be entering kindergarten so any info on the pros and cons of that would be appreciated.

We will be renting and would prefer a single family home and would like to spend $3000 per month max.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 11:43 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,159,127 times
You don't necessarily have to live IN Chantilly. I live in Greenbriar and think it fits your description, but there are also other great neighborhoods nearby.

With your budget, I might try to rent in Reston or Herndon. Having access to both the Reston and Herndon community centers for activities for your young children would be great.

Lots of young families have moved to South Riding and Brambleton in Loudoun.

Only you can decide whether you want half day or full day K. I was thrilled to pieces when FCPS made all schools full-day K last year, in time for my daughter to start. I believe in the value of full-day K for children, but you might feel differently.

Maybe some more needs/wants for a home and neighborhood would help us to give you suggestions?

Old 12-04-2012, 12:31 PM

564 posts, read 1,487,011 times
I think you could certainly rent a nice SFH in Franklin Farm or Chantilly Highlands for $3k. Those are 2 examples of typical SFHs in the general vicinity. Brambleton and S. Riding are going to be a little bit farther, but newer options. Someone else will have to chime in on schools.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:39 PM

We'd like at least 4 bed/2.5 bath preferably with another bed and bath in the basement and at least 2200 square feet. We've heard of South Riding and the family aspect and amenities there seem nice. What do you like about the areas you mentioned? What do we need to look out for in the area?

Also, we are coming from Southern CA. Is there anything we should buy clothing wise before we get there or should we just wait?

Old 12-04-2012, 04:49 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,407,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliciartodd View Post
We'd like at least 4 bed/2.5 bath preferably with another bed and bath in the basement and at least 2200 square feet. We've heard of South Riding and the family aspect and amenities there seem nice. What do you like about the areas you mentioned? What do we need to look out for in the area?

Also, we are coming from Southern CA. Is there anything we should buy clothing wise before we get there or should we just wait?
Hopefully someone will chime in from the South Riding area as the concern there is traffic on Rt. 50. It's terrible, even if you're commuting to Chantilly, depending on where the job actually is in Chantilly. I've heard stories of a half hour just to get to the Greenbriar area. Greenbriar is a wonderful older community but the homes do not have basements if that is important. The Franklin Farm and all the areas around there fit what you are describing.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:23 PM

564 posts, read 1,487,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliciartodd View Post

You can get that in the neighborhoods I mentioned before with your budget and have a nice short commute. There aren't really any very bad areas in the general vicinity that I am aware of. Traffic around here can be utterly horrendous so proximity to work can make a big difference if you value your time with your family. Yes you can get newer in S. Riding but I agree with choff5 the traffic on 50 is bad so if you can find something close to work that meets your needs it might make more sense. I think all the areas folks have mentioned so far are family friendly nice neighborhoods. Some get overly concerned with one school pyramid vs another but rest assured all the schools in areas you're likely to look are going to be good overall.

Just make sure everyone has a nice warm jacket and you'll survive the "cold" here until you adjust

Old 12-04-2012, 09:20 PM

588 posts, read 1,432,541 times
South Riding to Chantilly traffic in the morning, and Chantilly to South Riding traffic in the afternoon/evening, is a nightmare. Sorry to say it. I often try to get from Centreville Rd to the Chantilly Target (about 1-2 miles away) in the evening and it can take about 20+ minutes to travel that 1-2 miles. And the Chantilly Target is only about halfway to South Riding!

Greenbriar, Chantilly Highlands, Franklin Farm, Franklin Glen, Century Oak, Poplar Tree, Ashburton, and several other neighborhoods are nice.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:26 PM

You might be able to get into the Poplar Tree ES area with that budget. That is right around the corner from Greenbriar and the houses are a little bigger. We looked at Franklin Farm/Chantilly Highlands, and that is a nice neighborhood. Search for rentals in either the Oak Hill or Navy ES districts. Lees Corner ES district might also have a few houses for you.

Greenbriar's largest model is 2200 sf (this is the model we own), although there are a few that have additions that could get you up to 2500. We do not have a basement, but we have storage in an attic above the garage and one with a closet entry over the rest of the house. We have 4 good sized bedrooms and 2.5 baths. We are walking distance to all 3 levels of well regarded public schools, plus the shopping center with all the basics plus a couple restaurants and the public library.

Yes, traffic on 50 stinks. That would be a big minus for going further west into Loudoun to me. Where in Chantilly is he working? That might make a difference.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot201 View Post
South Riding to Chantilly traffic in the morning, and Chantilly to South Riding traffic in the afternoon/evening, is a nightmare. Sorry to say it. I often try to get from Centreville Rd to the Chantilly Target (about 1-2 miles away) in the evening and it can take about 20+ minutes to travel that 1-2 miles. And the Chantilly Target is only about halfway to South Riding!
Keep going south on Centreville and turn right on Willard. Take Willard to Lee Rd., which backtracks you to the Target. Now, I cannot speak to the traffic on that stretch in the evenings, but that is what we usually do to avoid 50 traffic.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:55 PM

He is going to be working at the NRO in Chantilly. He hates traffic! Where can we look that will minimize the traffic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia