U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2012, 12:14 AM

1 posts, read 901 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from Austin, TX, graduating this may from UT. I'm not sure how far I should look for apartments. The job is in Tyson's Corner. Not really sure where to start searching. I've found some apartment around $1.5k to $2k in close proximity to Tyson's and the job but I don't know what to expect in terms of commute times and traffic. How much should I expect to pay for an apartment in a commutable area around tyson's? And what places are best to search for apartments?

Another thing I'm wondering is how bike friendly is the area and what are my options for public transport? I know there is a rail system being built, but I don't want to count on it being built by the time I get there.

Thanks for your help,
Rauf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 08:41 AM

4,489 posts, read 9,563,765 times
There is a pretty extensive bus system throughout the region that goes to a lot of non-metro places. That's your only option to Tysons for a while. You can use the trip planner feature on Metro - Home page to check schedules and trip lengths from various addresses there.

The favorite for young grads is the "orange line corridor" in Arlington. Ballston is a fairly easy commute to Tysons, although 66 does get congested (mostly in the afternoon)--if you get on in Ballston you skip most of the back up. You also would be walking distance to restaurants, bars, the metro (to go downtown in the evenings, like many young grads enjoy), and you'd be in the heart of intramural sports teams if that's your thing. The downside is the price tag is high, so almost everyone lives with roommates. The popular 1 bedroom apartments start at around $1900 last time I checked. You'll also pay for parking.

If the price tag is too high, Tyson's itself isn't a bad choice. There are some nice condo/apartment complexes around Tyson's or McLean that would offer you an easy commute while you get your bearings and decide how much of a commute you can realistically tolerate.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:34 AM

5,739 posts, read 8,952,016 times
The rail sysem doesn't go there yet, but it will soon. Dulles Metrorail - Map and Stations. But there are buses.

Biking for now I think would be very tough.

Re. commute time: You'll be OK (within 30 minutes) driving as long as you stay east/south of Tysons--not west. Western McLean might have some older, more affordable apartments/condos. Same for the Seven Corners area of Falls Church (bordering Arlington) and Lee Highway (route 29) in Arlington and Falls Church. (The lack of Metro rail keeps the rents low.) It's true that the young hip areas are near the Orange Line Metro stations, but prices are much higher. If you decide ya gotta live near the Metro, cheapest is probably W. Falls Church or Vienna.

Good luck!

Old 12-08-2012, 09:36 PM

3,491 posts, read 4,939,723 times
Here is another bus system Fairfax Connector*- Fairfax County, Virginia

Old 12-08-2012, 09:39 PM

3,491 posts, read 4,939,723 times
Arlington County has been ranked in surveys as extremely bicycle and pedestrian friendly - with bike paths along the stream valleys, parallel to I-66 and US 50, and other Arlington roads.

Tysons Corner is not at all pedestrian or bicycle-friendly - although urban planners recognize this shortcoming, and hope to make it more so, eventually.

You can get more information, and download maps, from this website: WABA

Old 12-09-2012, 09:32 AM

1,430 posts, read 3,484,875 times
The choice for most recent college grads working in Tysons is the Rosslyn-Ballston corridor of North Arlington along the Orange Line. The commute isn't horrible by DC area standards but you should still expect (depending on specific Tysons location) about a 30 minute commute each way. It's about an 8-10 mile drive.

Rent will average about 1500-2000 for a 1 bedroom. It will be substantially less if you choice the roommate option. There are also numerous house shares in the area.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:41 AM

518 posts, read 1,293,686 times
If you liked the urban lifestyle in Austin, you would probably feel most comfortable in Arlington along Metro's Orange line. Arlington is a fun place to live, and you would be very close to DC. Clarendon, Ballston, Courthouse, and Rosslyn are the neighborhoods and Metro stations in Arlington where you could focus your apartment search. In roughly one year from now (when the new silver line opens) you would be able to take the train directly to Tysons without a transfer to a bus. My advice is to look for a studio apartment or be prepared to find roommates.

You may have your own bike, but Arlington has teamed up with DC on a wildly successful bike share program. There are dozens of bikeshare stations in Arlington and DC and the network is rapidly expanding.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:04 AM

2,380 posts, read 3,864,540 times
In order of the size of the party scene and price, from biggest to smallest.
Orange Line Arlington -- you'll need a roommate here or for most of the hip AND safe areas of DC. You could probably get a hip area of DC on your budget by yourself, but it won't be as safe.
Falls Church/Tysons itself
Reston

Metro to Reston will be open next summer.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:04 PM

8,777 posts, read 10,686,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raufio View Post
I'm moving from Austin, TX, graduating this may from UT. I'm not sure how far I should look for apartments. The job is in Tyson's Corner. Not really sure where to start searching. I've found some apartment around $1.5k to $2k in close proximity to Tyson's and the job but I don't know what to expect in terms of commute times and traffic. How much should I expect to pay for an apartment in a commutable area around tyson's? And what places are best to search for apartments?

Another thing I'm wondering is how bike friendly is the area and what are my options for public transport? I know there is a rail system being built, but I don't want to count on it being built by the time I get there.

Thanks for your help,
Rauf

Re biking. Arlington is one of the highest rated bike friendly communities in the United States. To get from there to Tysons you would take the Custis trail from North Arlington to the Washington and Old Dominion Trail (W&OD), to Gallows Road, and then proceed on a bike lane up Gallows Road to Tysons. Not everyone is fond of the bike lanes on Gallows (striped lanes, but the road is posted at 45MPH and can be nasty) and there is also a sidepath, which has the issues typical to side paths.

Within Tysons itself I am less familiar, but my impression is the biking is challenging - though the County has made improvement a high priority. The W&OD itself is an excellent facility, but other than that biking in Fairfax is challenging.

The greater Washington region generally, has a very active bike culture.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:32 AM

2,772 posts, read 3,645,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Re biking. Arlington is one of the highest rated bike friendly communities in the United States. To get from there to Tysons you would take the Custis trail from North Arlington to the Washington and Old Dominion Trail (W&OD), to Gallows Road, and then proceed on a bike lane up Gallows Road to Tysons. Not everyone is fond of the bike lanes on Gallows (striped lanes, but the road is posted at 45MPH and can be nasty) and there is also a sidepath, which has the issues typical to side paths.

Within Tysons itself I am less familiar, but my impression is the biking is challenging - though the County has made improvement a high priority. The W&OD itself is an excellent facility, but other than that biking in Fairfax is challenging.

The greater Washington region generally, has a very active bike culture.
I talked to Supervisor Hudgins about this as well as some local developers and they view this as the top priority prior to any other transportation improvements. I think the biggest issue is they need to get the tax structure passed in Tysons before being able to fund any bikelane and walkway improvements (these are relatively cheap facilities but still need cashflow to create).

In the meanwhile a couple of projects will make pockets easier to travel such as Tysons west (along westwood), Springhill station (along Greensboro), and Arbor Row along westpark. These are a year to a couple of years in the making.

The bus network is pretty solid in Tysons (425/427 for trips to West Falls Church Metro), 23A/C, 28T, 2T cover basically every corner of Tysons. I would say if you want to have the out of college experience, stick with Arlington/DC/Alexandria. If you want to save some money in order to buy a place I would suggest Falls Church, Vienna, Herndon, and Tysons all of which should be sub 30minutes to get to Tysons, still offer some after work bars/music/younger people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or