Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 12:26 AM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times

Advertisements

Probably this example is a unique one where it might be worth it so I'm wondering. I will be driving from the Baltimore area to Sterling a few times in the next few weeks to attend to some business. My destination is in Sterling just off VA 28 just north of Dulles airport, within 5 minutes of the airport I believe. I know if I'm coming from Interstate 495 and take the Dulles toll lanes that is more direct access to VA 28 but I will be charged a toll. I also hear this is very expensive. (though fair to be honest as NOVA pays for its own highways while here in Maryland residents across the state including rural folks have to pay taxes and tolls to support the urban areas)

Do I get to avoid this toll if I have the free Dulles Access Road to the airport, look around the passenger pickup area, and then come back on 28???? I do know that when I drive from Leesburg to the airport southbound on 28 there is no toll so apparently 28 connects directly to the airport. Does the Dulles Access Road interchange with VA 28 before the airport, or do I need to go to the airport and back to avoid paying the tolls?

Do a lot of local residents and commuters do this by going through the airport. The area along VA 28 around Sterling and CHantilly looks like the only destinations where this would have sense in terms of time and prices. And what times of day would it make sense to bypass the DC Beltway/Dulles road altogether and take US 15 down from Frederick to Leesburg then Route 7 then 28? I know the DC area traffic is hellish I only experienced a few times before but enough to make me dread having to go through it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 06:46 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,583,639 times
I seriously doubt that anyone does that. First, I don't think the toll could possibly be THAT expensive. It's an awful lot of work to just avoid a couple of dollars in tolls. Second, the airport can have its own traffic - who knows what you'd get stuck in there. Maybe nothing, but it's definitely not fun to drive through there. Third, you can't "look around the passenger area" unless you park in a pay lot, and they are the kind where you take the ticket when you go in, so you'd end up paying for parking, which is way more than a toll. Last, the only place you can just drive through is the passenger unloading area, and it's fairly small and literally just a lane where you can stop and let someone off (quickly). You couldn't just hang out there for no reason. If you drove through without stopping and headed back out, it would be pretty obvious. I think there's actually a chance you could be stopped or ticketed, and again, that would be way more than the toll. So basically you'd be spending a lot of time and going to a whole lot of trouble and taking the risk of paying a heavy fine just to avoid a few dollars in tolls. NoVa is a fairly educated area, so I'm guessing that very few people do this.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:01 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Go to Dulles Airport to avoid paying the tolls on the DTR?? Heck, no. I'd gladly pay double for the ability to use the airport access lanes. It's all about saving time; not money. But it is only a time saver if the DTR is backed up with traffic. Otherwise, it actually takes longer (5-10 minutes) to use the airport lanes. And there is always the risk of getting caught.

Not sure when you are planning to come, but I'd do my best to avoid the Beltway. 15 to 7 to 28 is a great option, unless you are coming to Sterling during the morning rush, and heading home during the afternoon rush. Honestly, if those are the times you are coming, you're pretty much screwed anyway you go. (And the airport access road won't save you time then, because that particular part of your journey is off-times for traffic.)

Old 12-13-2012, 07:47 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,762,892 times
Probably not worth it. I know they pull people over if they think you're going using the airport.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:16 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,314,866 times
I wouldn't really consider the Dulles toll road "very expensive", although that is subjective for each person. The current tolls are something like $2 each way. I think paying $4 would be much better than dealing with the time wasted and hassle of driving through the airport to avoid it, and risking getting a ticket. The person who told you it was "very expensive" may have been thinking of the greenway? If you're getting off at route 28 you won't encounter it but if you were to continue past that exit the Dulles toll road would become the Dulles greenway, which is privately owned and costs like $5 each way(in addition to what you already paid to get on the Dulles toll road).

Old 12-13-2012, 09:54 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
For someone who was complaining about illegal immigrants and the greater morals and family values in Virginia versus in Maryland on another thread, it's a bit disheartening to see that you think breaking the law in Virginia to save a few dollars in tolls is acceptable. Is that a moral, family value, too?

Old 12-13-2012, 11:24 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
For someone who was complaining about illegal immigrants and the greater morals and family values in Virginia versus in Maryland on another thread, it's a bit disheartening to see that you think breaking the law in Virginia to save a few dollars in tolls is acceptable. Is that a moral, family value, too?

Old 12-13-2012, 12:38 PM

691 posts, read 771,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Probably this example is a unique one where it might be worth it so I'm wondering. I will be driving from the Baltimore area to Sterling a few times in the next few weeks to attend to some business. My destination is in Sterling just off VA 28 just north of Dulles airport, within 5 minutes of the airport I believe. I know if I'm coming from Interstate 495 and take the Dulles toll lanes that is more direct access to VA 28 but I will be charged a toll. I also hear this is very expensive. (though fair to be honest as NOVA pays for its own highways while here in Maryland residents across the state including rural folks have to pay taxes and tolls to support the urban areas)

Do I get to avoid this toll if I have the free Dulles Access Road to the airport, look around the passenger pickup area, and then come back on 28???? I do know that when I drive from Leesburg to the airport southbound on 28 there is no toll so apparently 28 connects directly to the airport. Does the Dulles Access Road interchange with VA 28 before the airport, or do I need to go to the airport and back to avoid paying the tolls?

Do a lot of local residents and commuters do this by going through the airport. The area along VA 28 around Sterling and CHantilly looks like the only destinations where this would have sense in terms of time and prices. And what times of day would it make sense to bypass the DC Beltway/Dulles road altogether and take US 15 down from Frederick to Leesburg then Route 7 then 28? I know the DC area traffic is hellish I only experienced a few times before but enough to make me dread having to go through it again.

Why bother with the toll lanes? You are going AGAINST TRAFFIC. The "free lanes" will be fine.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:48 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,638,734 times
Pay the toll or take Route 7.

Taking the access road and looping around the airport is just not worth the the time. Just drive during off-peak hours if you are concerned about traffic.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:52 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
I mistyped, I mean "LOOP" around the departures area not "look around" since all airports have that loop where you can drop off or pick up someone. I know VA 28 basically goes directly to the airport and the interchange is basically adjacent to it. I know many people all over who look for creative ways to avoid tolls. Shunpiking has increased in Maryland ever since our governor increased the tolls again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia