U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 04:08 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,342,592 times

Advertisements

I said that there is a correlation between education level and tolerance, and there is as countless studies have shown. I never said that all poor people are racist. That's quite a massive leap to make from what I actually said. Of course I realize that there are prejudiced Harvard grads just as there are incredibly warm and accepting and open-minded people who happen to live in trailer parks and housing projects. It's a generalization and as all generalizations, is open to exceptions but there IS a correlation between education and tolerance, and not just of the racial variety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2006, 11:15 PM

1,723 posts, read 5,126,514 times
There is an Anita's in Herndon as well, on Elden Street, but it is not as good as the one in Fairfax on Route 50/29. I have never eaten at the Anita's in Chantilly on Route 50.

As for the HOA's, sadly most of the neighborhoods here have HOAs. There are good and bad aspects to HOA boards. My neighborhood's is controlled by a few very nosey and bossy older women. I have volunteered some of my time to them and now they smile and wave to me, and I have no issues with them. They wouldn't mind if I changed the color of my door - as long as the fake shutters were changed to match. Lol.

Try an older home in the City of Fairfax if you can afford it. They have no HOAs. I somewhat regret not buying within the City of Fairfax. Their tax rate is lower than the county tax rate as well. You an also try the Country Club Manor community in Centreville, off Braddock Rd (Carlbern Drive). There is no HOA there.

Old 10-04-2006, 08:11 AM

109 posts, read 562,298 times
Default What ?!?!?

Where ever did you hear that we don't like Hispanics? Incorrect info. We also have a large Hispanic population in Northern VA. Check out Global Foods for all of the Latino foods and Asian foods, etc etc. Like someone said in a previous post... speaking English goes a long way.

Relax. We'll make you feel welcome with our Southern Hospitality.

There are lots of townhome developments near where you will be working. Have you looked on Military by owner website yet at houses? Also don't worry. I know where you will be working & there are lots of nice people there who will also do their best to help you get settled here in Virginia.

Old 10-04-2006, 02:54 PM

291 posts, read 1,251,121 times
And from what study did this correlation come from anyhow? Anyone can do a study and say there is a correlation, but what bout those outside factors that interfere with studies? Sorry, I call things what they are.

Old 10-04-2006, 11:34 PM

1,723 posts, read 5,126,514 times
Southern Hospitality? In the D.C. area? What is that?

Education level has a direct causation with tolerance. It's been studied numerous times.

Old 10-05-2006, 07:52 AM

61 posts, read 73,181 times
Would you also like the proof of the studies done to show that education level has a direct correlation to how much money people make? or that the studies that show dogs who have black fur don't have white fur? or the studies that show that people tend to eat more food when hungry than when they are full?

Old 10-05-2006, 04:23 PM

291 posts, read 1,251,121 times
Grow up, you need to calm down and let people voice their opinions and get a life maybe?

Old 10-10-2006, 08:46 PM

4 posts, read 10,464 times
Default Hispanic in Va

I dont see it here either. I'm a Realtor and my partner speaks spanish, and is married to a peruvian. I speak some, from growing up in the southwest, but he's more fluent. He'd be happy to talk to you, if you'd like. Never heard that before. They were having some problems with gang members from El Salvador, but that doesn't make El Salvadorians bad..only gang members ...and they can come from anywhere and won't be liked where ever they are.

My husband went to NMSU and AHHHH, those chilis!! Yep, Anita's is great!

As for the HOA's, it's your choice. I live in Reston and don't mind it. Like someone said, you just have to get to know them and if an issue comes up, don't fight it and remember they volunteer for your neighborhood.

Buena Suerte (is that spelled right?)

Old 10-13-2006, 01:09 PM

49 posts, read 112,762 times
Technically, Virginia is considered "The South" along with Tennessee, so perhaps that is the confusion? But technically Maryland and DC are in the South. Racism exists everywhere, but it differs depending on where you go. Even two cities in the same state might have very different degrees of it. I've been living in Northern Virginia for almost 10 years now. I'm white, so I haven't experienced racism per se, but I've interacted with lots of hispanics over the years. I've heard some other white people make some derogatory statements, but unfortunately you're bound to come accross racists in most areas, although some people aren't as upfront about it. In any case, there are lots of hispanics living and working in Fairfax county, although I think most of them are from El Salvadore rather than Mexico. There are areas of the county that are primarily hispanic, some of them are lower-income, some middle-class. And of course lots of hispanics living in smaller numbers among whites. As far as I know there have been no racial tensions. Now, if you start heading further south or south-west...

Old 10-17-2006, 02:21 PM

432 posts, read 1,354,914 times
I moved from Northern Virginia recently, and I also take exception to the "people don't like Hispanics" line. Yes, it is true that there have been significantly heightened tensions regarding illegal aliens in areas like Herndon and Manassas, but that is also a political debate the unfortunately overlaps with latent ethnic prejudices. Quite frankly, much of this is about class rather than race/ethnicity, as many folks (understandibly) don't appreciate that some Hispanic day laborers hang around and engage in anti-social behavior. It is a complex issue that does not necessarily mean that the region is filled with bigots.

As has been mentioned, the area is wildly diverse, and so long as you maintain a basic middle-class outlook and behaviors, regardless of race/ethnicity/religion, you will be accepted in Northern Virginia. The region has everyone from working-class Salvardorans to Pakistani cab drivers (many if not most of whom are actually college educated) to Korean merchants to Nigeran PhDs. People are too busy with their jobs, families, and earning money in an unfortunately expensive area to worry too much about their neighbor's specific background (again, assuming basic notions of civilized behavior).

Now, on those HOA's - unfortunately, especially around Chantilly with its newer developments, you will often run into HOA's. I am not familiar enough with the specific neighborhoods, but I would work with a realtor. Be also aware that not all HOA's are created equal. I used to live in West Springfield in Fairfax County, in a neighborhood of 1970s vintage townhomes. We had an HOA, but it was not oppressive. Most concerns were about people keeping their yards clean and mowed, and maintenance of common areas/tot lots/etc. We actually had windows replaced and the number of mullins didn't match the HOA manual, but we weren't written up for it (the HOA president lived 2 doors down, did notice it, but it never came up again). Admittedly, the Chantilly area is newer and may be harder to find "easier" HOAs, but I would look beyond South Riding to other neighborhoods. South Riding is the premier "gold standard" master-planned community in that area, so the HOA might be excessively harsh, but it may not be indicative of all neighborhoods near Chantilly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia