U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 02:37 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,926,426 times

Advertisements

What is wrong with people? A jerk just walked into Sandy Hook Elementary School in Strasburg, VA carrying a 2 x 4 with the words "High Powered Rifle" written on it. He claimed he was doing it to make a "2nd Amendent Point" and didn't know why the principal was upset.

Va. man arrested for bringing board into Sandy Hook school | WTVR.com

Old 12-19-2012, 10:46 PM

1,784 posts, read 2,994,080 times
This thread title is a bit misleading, as he walked in with a 2x4 piece of lumber, not a fake gun.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:03 AM

223 posts, read 431,054 times
Hopefully, they have a catch all, interfereing with the peaceful operation of a school law that will lock him up for a while.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:22 AM

5,104 posts, read 5,405,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
This thread title is a bit misleading, as he walked in with a 2x4 piece of lumber, not a fake gun.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
What is wrong with people? A jerk just walked into Sandy Hook Elementary School in Strasburg, VA carrying a 2 x 4 with the words "High Powered Rifle" written on it. He claimed he was doing it to make a "2nd Amendent Point" and didn't know why the principal was upset.

Va. man arrested for bringing board into Sandy Hook school | WTVR.com

Everything I've read on this incident says he was making a point about school security. No mention of the 2nd Amendment.

Would it be more acceptable if he had walked in without a piece of wood? Would it be more acceptable if the piece of wood didn't have "High Powered Rifle" written on it? Or should he be commended for bringing to our attention, that even when we are on "heightened alert", someone can still walk into a school without being questioned?

The local news article below contradicts the one linked above. The local news article says he went straight to the front office where a receptionist was the first person to confront him - not the school's resource officer.

The front door is the only unlocked door in that building, that door should be constantly monitored. Even before last week's tragedy, personnel should always immediately know who has walked in the door and is in the building.

Man arrested at Strasburg's Sandy Hook - Local News

His point was made. I'm on the fence about him being a "jerk". He made his point with actions, but those actions were non-violent, and quiet (he went straight to the front office). On the other hand, we're all still rolling on high emotions and this could have caused panic among faculty, staff and children.

Last edited by HokieFan; 12-20-2012 at 04:32 AM..

Old 12-20-2012, 04:53 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,104,931 times
What you won't read is a couple days from now the charges will be quietly dropped when the C.A. realizes this case is too stupid to prosecute. When are the courts finally going to rule that disorderly conduct laws are broad, overreaching, and often run counter to first amendment rights of free expression and to petition the govt?

Old 12-20-2012, 05:07 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,926,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
On the other hand, we're all still rolling on high emotions and this could have caused panic among faculty, staff and children.
Exactly. Especially in a school that has the misfortune to have the name Sandy Hook Elementary. If he was "just making a point" he should have chosen another school. Actually, I take that back, it's not a good thing to do in any school.

Whether or not the piece of lumber looked like a gun, he had a sign on it labeling it to be a gun, so it was obvious that he wanted people to think of it as representing a gun. Therefore, it was a fake gun, IMO. And that guy can try to claim all he wants that he had "noble" reasons for doing it. We all know it was about trying to stir up a little panic--basically a guy who wanted the emotional high of being a "halfway" copy cat without actually shooting kids. While I'm glad he didn't want to shoot kids, a stranger walking inside a school carrying a item that can harm people and acting strange isn't cool. He's a jerk who wanted the thrill of upsetting people who are already on edge.

Last edited by Caladium; 12-20-2012 at 05:16 AM..

Old 12-20-2012, 05:46 AM

10,606 posts, read 12,148,952 times
Yeah, he was a jerk because I'm sure he probably scared someone witless who was sitting in the office. It's a pretty insensitive thing to do when people sitting in schools are feeling very vulnerable right now. So what if he had a good point. I can often make a lot of good points during my workday with my employees that would involve humiliating them--but I don't do it--because I'm not a jerk.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:51 AM

10,136 posts, read 11,655,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Exactly. Especially in a school that has the misfortune to have the name Sandy Hook Elementary. If he was "just making a point" he should have chosen another school. Actually, I take that back, it's not a good thing to do in any school.

Whether or not the piece of lumber looked like a gun, he had a sign on it labeling it to be a gun, so it was obvious that he wanted people to think of it as representing a gun. Therefore, it was a fake gun, IMO. And that guy can try to claim all he wants that he had "noble" reasons for doing it. We all know it was about trying to stir up a little panic--basically a guy who wanted the emotional high of being a "halfway" copy cat without actually shooting kids. While I'm glad he didn't want to shoot kids, a stranger walking inside a school carrying a item that can harm people and acting strange isn't cool. He's a jerk who wanted the thrill of upsetting people who are already on edge.
I have respectfully disagree. When has a piece of wood ever resembled a gun? I digress.

I could be wrong but it appears that he was trying to make a point about the 2nd amendment, more than school security and unless the news source has some kind of quote, they are just speculating as much as we are. The reason why I believe this is a point about the second amendment is because this is an example of someone who was viewed as a threat to the students in this school, who was not carrying a gun, even though people in this country believe that changing gun laws would keep kids safe. I can't say that for certain, that this was his intention, but it just appears the fact that he put words on the wood, means that perhaps he was poking fun at the idea that people believe a gun is the only harmful weapon out there. Perhaps he think we should have better security than stricter gun laws. Just my thoughts.

And no I don't agree with his actions, I think this is ridiculous.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:02 AM

10,606 posts, read 12,148,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
I have respectfully disagree. When has a piece of wood ever resembled a gun? I digress.

I could be wrong but it appears that he was trying to make a point about the 2nd amendment, more than school security and unless the news source has some kind of quote, they are just speculating as much as we are. The reason why I believe this is a point about the second amendment is because this is an example of someone who was viewed as a threat to the students in this school, who was not carrying a gun, even though people in this country believe that changing gun laws would keep kids safe. I can't say that for certain, that this was his intention, but it just appears the fact that he put words on the wood, means that perhaps he was poking fun at the idea that people believe a gun is the only harmful weapon out there. Perhaps he think we should have better security than stricter gun laws. Just my thoughts.

And no I don't agree with his actions, I think this is ridiculous.
If his point was that a 2x4 was also a dangerous weapon, then he didn't make it. I'm sure the 2x4 could hurt someone, but it's going to take him quite some time to kill 20 people with. Same as if he had a knife/machete, whatever.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:18 AM

10,136 posts, read 11,655,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
If his point was that a 2x4 was also a dangerous weapon, then he didn't make it. I'm sure the 2x4 could hurt someone, but it's going to take him quite some time to kill 20 people with. Same as if he had a knife/machete, whatever.
That maybe true, but if the school has unarmed officials and security is such that he can simply walk into the building, the chances of him hurting at least one person is still very high. Why even risk one person being hurt? There is no doubt that a gun will kill people quicker, but wouldn't the best solution be to not allow any person with any type of weapon to feel as though they can walk into these school and harm someone, especially our children?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia