Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 10:05 AM

36 posts, read 104,060 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone - I just posted a few days ago on the NY forum because it looked like my husband was transferring there and we were interested in upstate. We just found out yesterday that it looks like they are going to transfer him to Herndon VA instead. The thing about it is - my husband works from home and will only have to go to the office 1 or 2 times per month.

So if you were looking for a safe and charming small town within 2-3 hours of Herndon, where would you live? We are open to other states as well such as DE and MD as well. We would like to be within 8 hours of upstate NY, but we are flexible on that.

I really appreciate any suggestions given - we are native west coasters and now that we are considering living in multiple states because of their close proximity to each other, its become pretty overwhelming from when we were just looking at one state.

Thanks so much!

PS - Am I allowed to XPost this on the MD and DE boards??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 10:44 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times
Herndon was just named the 12th "Friendliest Town in America" by Forbes (link 1 | link 2). Downtown Herndon is charming (check out this walking tour).

Old 12-21-2012, 10:57 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confetticake View Post
Hi Everyone - I just posted a few days ago on the NY forum because it looked like my husband was transferring there and we were interested in upstate. We just found out yesterday that it looks like they are going to transfer him to Herndon VA instead. The thing about it is - my husband works from home and will only have to go to the office 1 or 2 times per month.

So if you were looking for a safe and charming small town within 2-3 hours of Herndon, where would you live? We are open to other states as well such as DE and MD as well. We would like to be within 8 hours of upstate NY, but we are flexible on that.

I really appreciate any suggestions given - we are native west coasters and now that we are considering living in multiple states because of their close proximity to each other, its become pretty overwhelming from when we were just looking at one state.

Thanks so much!

How big a town would you like? Do you prefer mountains, rolling hills, or flat country? Do you prefer more of a southern vibe or not? Is convenience to a larger place at all important?

Because a 3 hour drive will give you a lot of options. In Virginia, in West Virginia, in Maryland, and in Pennsylvania I think.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:59 AM

939 posts, read 1,892,134 times
Charlottesville, VA is probably the best small town in the state.
Downtown Frederick MD is pretty nice, but the rest of the area is kind of trashy.
Annapolis is great, but I'm not quite sure it qualifies as a small town.
Berkley Springs WV is a nice day trip
Morgantown WV is a great college town, a little further away. Isn't as nice as Charlottesville, but the geography is better.
Leesburg, does that still count as a small town?

Old 12-21-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
Herndon was just named the 12th "Friendliest Town in America" by Forbes (link 1 | link 2). Downtown Herndon is charming (check out this walking tour).

Downtown Herndon has pretty good bones - my last visit I biked in on the W&OD. It has a long way to go though.

And downtown Herndon is surrounded by the rest of Herndon - which while it may be a good option for many folks, appeared to me to have less of the small town look - and ditto the areas just beyond the Herndon limits.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:02 AM

I would suggest taking a look at Sheperdstown WVa - it seemed pretty nice to me. Winchester Va will probably come up, and Front Royal Va

Old 12-21-2012, 11:08 AM

270 posts, read 908,561 times
Quote:

Thanks so much!

Delaware, and all of the shorefront, would seem to be at the limit or beyond three hours. You might try someplace like Gettysburg, or other small town in south central PA. A lot of people like WV for its remoteness. If you want a quiet hollow that's the place to go. Virginia horse country is also a possibility. All three of these areas are pretty different, so we could use some more details.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:11 AM

Thanks so much everyone for all of the feedback! To answer some questions:

As far as town size, I guess we would prefer it to be 25K or less (ideally around 10K or less) - but not set in stone at all.

As for scenery - we are coming from the Pacific NW so we certainly love mountains,greenery and rivers - but we are no opposed to a change either. I really love having seasons.

As far as overall vibe - we were really excited to experience a "New England" feel when we thought we were going to the great NY area - not sure if that is still available within a 3 hour drive to Herndon?

A huge thing for me is low crime - and we just really want that small town charm (I know, get in line right?)

Thanks again for the suggestions, they are so helpful! Still noticed no one has mentioned Delaware - should I scratch this off the list?

ETA: I cross-posted with you KevBros, good to know that DE may be too far!

Old 12-21-2012, 11:13 AM

I should also add that my husband is terrified of West VA because of the show Moonshiners - hes pretty sure that sums up the entire state and is even worried about VA being like that - like I said we are ignorant of the area completely!!

Old 12-21-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
I should also add that my husband is terrified of West VA because of the show Moonshiners - hes pretty sure that sums up the entire state and is even worried about VA being like that - like I said we are ignorant of the area completely!!

sheperdstown, which I mentioned above felt very 'hispter" to me, but Ive only been there a few times, for not very long each time.

If you want a more New England feel - well I dont know where you would find quite that. But western Md or Southern Pa MIGHT be more your speed.

I wonder if you could do Amish Country in Lancaster County to Herndon in 3 hours on a weekday?

Carlisle PA is closer than Amish country, I'm pretty sure just within 3 hours, is a nice town with a liberal arts college, and fits the population limit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia