U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 08:22 AM

23,570 posts, read 33,297,972 times

Advertisements

A lot of people in my office have been sick including one of my higher-ups for an extended period with flu-related issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 09:15 AM

16 posts, read 20,000 times
My family enjoyed a sickness-free Christmas. Zero youngsters......makes a huge difference. I was flying across country, and I don't think the flu had hit Denver, yet, but that can be lots of exposure to sick people. We also eat a colorful diet, high in anti-oxidants. I still see kids at the stores not covering their mouths, when they cough. That aggravates the pi-- out of me.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:26 AM

1,345 posts, read 3,889,262 times
Phew, January 4 and still not sick. Been traveling via plane and car a lot the past two months (including foreign travel), been around a lot of sick people, half my coworkers have some kind of cold or flu, and nothing for me.

When I was at Logan airport waiting for a flight, some guy was hacking his lungs out not far from me, standing, while i was sitting. Wonderful. That was three weeks ago so I guess it didn't affect me.

Funny though, once every two weeks or so, I get a flash of a cold... little fever, sore throat (probably from the dry air though), slightly runny nose but its gone the next day.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:42 PM

421 posts, read 819,114 times
I'm on day four of the YUCK. Fever, sweats, hacking cough, wheezing, body aches, headache. Half the staff at my office is out sick. Haven't had any decent rest since it started because of the cough. I have asthma anyway so I am on antibiotics, prednisone, cough syrup with codeine (which doesn't help) and a nebulizer. Fun stuff. Doc asked me if I wanted to be tested for the flu but told me my treatment would be the same (since I have a bronchial infection along with this virus) either way so I declined. He said a lot of people are testing positive for the flu (different strain than the vaccine prevented-go figure).

Old 01-04-2013, 01:16 PM

2,210 posts, read 1,833,815 times
There certainly is some type of flu bug outside of the boundaries of the flu-shot going around. It came through my house about 10 days before Christmas, via my toddler son. Two days of it, and gone. Two days of no sickness in the house, and then my wife and daughter get it at the same time. Again, two days with it, then gone. Three days without it in the house, and then at 2am on a Wednesday night - I sit up in bed like Frankenstein.... two days down in the basement. Not a heavy "stomach flu" though for any of us. Just one or two incidents of that type of activity, but followed by absolutley no energy whatsoever...

I have found that Propel Water really makes a big difference though with getting over it faster and feeling better during.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:31 PM

989 posts, read 2,467,393 times
Right after Thanksgiving we had almost three weeks of a horrible, debilitating cough in the house. The doctor thought it might be whooping cough. So lots of yuck around here too.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:34 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,635,593 times
Aside from a few days of relief here and there, I have been sick since mid-November. I was first infected by a relative with bronchitis, and while my kids also got a little sick, I had it the worst. We were in Florida for a family event, and had decided to tack on two nights at Disney World - but instead of the Magic Kingdom, we spent the day at urgent care. Then I got a little better after we came home, only to be hit by this big thing going around right before Christmas. Again, my kids were sick for only a couple of days (they have amazingly tough immune systems despite being exposed to preschool germs) but I was just *done* for almost two weeks. Christmas Day was the worst - we opened presents, went to Mass, then on to "ICE!" at National Harbor (couldn't cancel on two four-year-olds, no way). When we got home, I passed out around 5 and just slept and slept. Then we flew to Georgia the next day. I didn't have a voice at all for days.

Whatever this is, it's special.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:15 PM

7,724 posts, read 18,528,185 times
Just talked to an administrator at a local school.....PWCS are watching the absentee figures closely - but no one is releasing the magic number when action (closing schools) will be taken. Apparently there was some recent study that it was better to pre-emptively close the schools, before absentee rates got too high. Michigan recently did one such closing before the Christmas break.

Then, yesterday, for the first time, I saw two young men at a local mall in protective face masks. They didn't act like they were joking around......but then, for all I know they have compromised immune systems.

This is getting bad - fast.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:51 AM

989 posts, read 2,467,393 times
It seems so bad everywhere I'm a little surprised and concerned that all we're hearing from the people in charge are "it's a really bad flu season". Seems so much more than that. And the sick people I've come into contact with seem to have a horrible dry cough, not consistent with what I consider to be flu like symptoms but just as debilitating.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:56 AM

10,596 posts, read 12,092,834 times
I think the media is hyping this, as usual. I have no doubt that there's lots of people out sick. There always are this time of year with the exception of last year. However, if you turn of the news and only hear a report here and there, it doesn't sound any different from any other year.

We've had no unusual illnesses at my office, and I've got over 100 people in my organization alone--all in close quarters. And my son's high school has had very little issue with this so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or