Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 07:42 AM

9,863 posts, read 13,992,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I think the media is hyping this, as usual. I have no doubt that there's lots of people out sick. There always are this time of year with the exception of last year.
I'm not so sure it's the media hyping it up, as I've not seen any actual newscasts about it. I'm finding it is the medical professionals that seem overly concernd this year. I had another visit to the Minute Clinic and the Physician Asst askd if I had my flu shot, yet. I indicated that I hadn't, yet, but planned to as soon as I kicked this cold/ cough (they normally recommend not getting it if you are feeling ill.) She looked at me and said, "Seriously. You need to get one TODAY. Do not wait." Appears there is also a shortage of the shots in this area now, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcrim View Post
It seems so bad everywhere I'm a little surprised and concerned that all we're hearing from the people in charge are "it's a really bad flu season". Seems so much more than that. And the sick people I've come into contact with seem to have a horrible dry cough, not consistent with what I consider to be flu like symptoms but just as debilitating.
While I agree with ChristineVA, lots of people get sick, especially around this time of year, but there is something different about what is going around now. This cold has a persistant dry cough, horrible sore throat, and takes weeks to get rid of it. (And I'm assuming weeks and not months, because I really don't know anyone who has had it that has truly "kicked" it.)

And this isn't the flu that is going around, this is "just a cold".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 07:57 AM

617 posts, read 1,350,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Lake Ridge, VA - Tacketts Mill area

Is everyone sick or what? I had a routine RX to refill at CVS and was on hold for over 20 minutes, finally hung up (that was after one "can you hold" to shut up the "1 pharmacy call." I didn't have the bottle, so I couldn't do the automated refill. So, I did the next best thing and got in the car. As I walk into the building I see the Minute Clinic with at least 4 people waiting to be seen, probably more shopping in the store. So, I head to the drop off RX desk and after a 10ish minute wait, am told 2 hours. 2 HOURS! Okay, I decide to hightail it out of the petri dish......as I leave, the cars for the drive thru are at least 7 to 8 deep and start to interfere with the front lot.

What is going on? Flu shot here and so far, so good. Where are you and what are you seeing? Epidemic time?
We must live near each other, that's the same CVS I go to when I need to get my stuff filled. I think they may just be slow, it feels like I wait awhile even when there's only one or two of us milling around. I've taken to using the drive through window, which feels faster as long as it isn't backed up. I'm considering trying out the new Express Scrips they put in down Old Bridge Road, in the old Massage Institute building.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:20 PM

8,643 posts, read 22,796,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehead View Post
We must live near each other, that's the same CVS I go to when I need to get my stuff filled. I think they may just be slow, it feels like I wait awhile even when there's only one or two of us milling around. I've taken to using the drive through window, which feels faster as long as it isn't backed up. I'm considering trying out the new Express Scrips they put in down Old Bridge Road, in the old Massage Institute building.
I started this thread the Friday before the New Year......I think that particular day was worse than usual, people went ahead and took off, took their kids to the doctor and so on. I've been back several times since and it's not been anywhere nearly as bad as that evening. This morning I stopped in for an (not flu related) rx and to get some AirBorne (I got the LAST bottle of chewables). An elderly couple stopped in looking for a flu shot.....the clerk told them they were out....they were obviously distressed and explained they were from NY and traveling and felt they really needed it. The clerk called the CVS on Rt 1 and down by Merchant's Plaza, zip, nada.

I've been talking now about getting a shot for my 19 year old (anyone that's familiar w/ the flu of 1918, knows a killer flu can make the young adults the most vulnerable). I've been migrating my prescriptions over to Prosperity Pharmacy over by PW Hospital (I work over that way)......they know me and deliver my scripts to my office and have my cc on file. I called and they said they had a some left. I paid for my son's shot while driving to Manassas and told them I would call when I got a hold of him (lol, still on Winter Break......he was sound asleep). He got his shot around 4 this afternoon and they were almost out. I don't know if it will do any good, but I believe it won't hurt and I sure would regret not doing it if he got real sick. Reports are they have the two strains well covered in this one vaccine. I know I'll sleep a little better.....(I had my shot back in November).

I agree the media is hyping a lot of this.......but setting up tent wards is not an exaggeration. Seeing those at work sick for over two weeks is not an exaggeration. We've had several that just cannot shake this thing. If the hype gets one more person to wash their hands, cover their mouth or take their kid in to get treated......the hype is worth it.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:39 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,430,551 times
I've also had that dry hacking cough thing. Makes it hard to sleep. It doesn't make you feel as bad as the flu, but it's fatiguing, it's annoying, and your co-workers will thank you for working/staying at home and not giving it to them.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:00 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,571,701 times
I just read something last night, well two things actually and I'll see if I can go back and find links to them.

1. This was on the news: The believe the flu has actually hit its peak and that we should now start to see the cases show a gradual incline. Not that you still won't see sick people but the flu, per season, runs a natural course. This one started early and they believe it has peaked and we are starting downward.

2. The CDC reported a higher incidence this year of "flu-like" illnesses. These illness compose of things like norovirus and the coughing crud that is going around. They illness are reported to the CDC as "flu-like" but are uncomfirmed cases. The actual amount of CONFIRMED cases of influenza seem to be on track with previous years. I thought that was pretty interesting.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:32 PM

15,109 posts, read 27,564,252 times
Just FYI: Duke St. Rite Aid and Harris Teeter are out of vaccine. Also, Inova has restricted visiting hours in case no one has heard: Flu: Inova Curbs Hospital Visits to Avoid Outbreak - West End Alexandria, VA Patch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia