Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 05:15 PM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times

Advertisements

There is one alternative and that is to look into southern Maryland, in Charles County. White Plains, La Plata, down Indian Head. I'm sure you could get that amount of land and a house but there would be draw backs for some. Distance is one but an area where many do commute from. Mass transit is limited but is on the most part not developed like other areas have been the last 20 years except for Waldorf, Md.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 05:28 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
There is one alternative and that is to look into southern Maryland, in Charles County. White Plains, La Plata, down Indian Head. I'm sure you could get that amount of land and a house but there would be draw backs for some. Distance is one but an area where many do commute from. Mass transit is limited but is on the most part not developed like other areas have been the last 20 years except for Waldorf, Md.
Those who prefer indoor plumbing?

Old 12-31-2012, 05:31 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post

Hope you're just joking!!

I'm no big fan of Southern MD, but I will say that once you get way down into LaPlata and points south, it's actually pretty nice. I've had family down in Charlotte Hall for years and the development down there has really come along. I am impressed with how lovely the neighborhoods look--mostly because the homes are on 1-5 acre lots, and beautiful homes too. Last year I had to go down to PAX River Naval Base for a meeting and I was astonished how much it had developed down that way. Certainly living way down there is too far for an Arlington job but people do it. La Plata would probably be as far as I would go for an Arlington commute but it probably does have what the OP is looking for.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:14 PM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I know you are kidding. There are some very nice rural areas down there with plumbing. Actually if you really want to build equity, that area would be the place to go because eventually it will build up much more in the future. Schools are an issue for sure, mass transit and .............moonshine.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:57 PM

90 posts, read 208,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikifrogrdh View Post
We commuted for work 60min in CA so we're used to that. Traffic here is nothing compared to Southern CA.
I'm originally from California and that's what I thought as well. We moved here during the winter several years ago and thought traffic was light and over-hyped. After living here the entire year after our move I quickly came to the realization that traffic here, especially during peak commuting times can be just as bad or even worse than Socal.

It's weird, but there are many times where traffic doesn't seem that bad or even non existent, but there are many more times where traffic is horrible. You'll realize that once you live here for at least a year and especially if you commute the entire year during peak times.

Be forewarned that your husband will be looking at two hour commutes each way from Front Royal to Arlington.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:37 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,516,197 times
Oh yeah, don't forget aboot Martinsburg, take the MARC + Metro in. But it'll be a long long long commute.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:26 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,264,664 times
As others have posted, please, please rent for a year. You can't imagine how draining, frustrating and time consuming this commute will be. I actually recommend you rent in Bristow/Haymarket/Gainesville area since that would give a good idea of what is tolerable. I live in Bristow (20136) and the demographic of this area is young families. We have 7 elementary schools within a 6 mile radius to give you an idea of the demographic. There are a number of stay at home parents as families decided the tradeoff of one parent having a commute was a tradeoff they could tolerate. The area is becoming more built up and a new hospital is being built in Haymarket. Heritage Hunt area has a lot of doctor offices and of course we have dentist offices. You might find the salary to be lower in PW, but the tradeoff is not having a commute. Shopping conveniences, good schools and less congestion and lower house prices is what brings a lot of families here. We know a family that bought on a larger lot and they basically have no neighbors. No neighbors makes it extremly difficult to forge relationships, no one for the kids to play with outside and they regret the decision to not buy in a neighborhood. Just some food for thought.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:17 PM

2 posts, read 2,078 times
I lived in SoCal from 2009-2011 (in Hawthorne) but currently I live in Fairfax.

I can tell you from my experience that driving on I-66 and I-495 can really take a toll on your general health. Not that the drivers here are any less dangerous, but the traffic can be just as bad as the 405.

I know of several people while in SoCal who commuted into work (El Segundo) from as far away as Riverside and Huntington Beach. A few of them since have moved to this area and all have told me that the commute is only half (since they live in places like Lorton and Dale City) but just as stressful as their old commutes.

If I were you, I would recommend something in Fauquier County or something in Maryland. I am the only person in my group of 20 co-workers who live in Fairfax County (and work in Tyson's Corner). My supervisor lives 2nd closest to work and commutes daily from Ashburn and he has a wife and three kids. Everyone else lives in Maryland.

With that being said, this is a really nice area to be in environmentally speaking. It can get a bit muggy in the summer and snowy in the winter, but you'll make it. Also, the high-end shopping of Tyson's Corner easily rivals what you see on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:54 AM

53 posts, read 85,543 times
I'm from Southern California, and I hate NOVA traffic as well... If it is not too late. Arlington at 1530 to Front Royal will be a definite 2 hour plus commute. If it snows LOL. Remember it doesn't snow in So Cal! It takes me 45 avg from the 66/495 to Manassas at 1430. yep VRE if you buy in F-burg or Stafford. I currently live in Manassas and after 6 months I hate driving. We have 4 kids as well, but our housing budget is half yours. I'd look in Burke , Clifton, Chantilly, or Centreville. A little closer, and in Fairfax County schools, one for the nations best counties. Otherwise the boonies it is. Like Nokesville, Bealton, or Culpepper, or Front Royal. Shoot aim for W. VA while you are at it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia