U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 05:29 PM

421 posts, read 711,314 times

Advertisements

I live in Pennsylvania, the Philadelphia area more specifically, and people always complain about how bad the state-owned liquor stores are. And despite Pennsylvania being a non-Southern state, not only spirits but also wines can only be sold in these stores. Do you Virginians feel a similar sentiment? Perhaps because only stronger alcohol (spirits) is sold at ABC stores, people in VA don't care? Most people's complaints in PA are concerning the wine selections, but it's strange how PA stores dedicate very little space to spirits but the VA ABC stores are 90% spirits and 10% wine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 05:40 PM

7,969 posts, read 9,730,199 times
I feel our ABC stores have a great selection and pretty good hours. Prices aren't super great, but not awful. And, since we are in NoVa, you can always hop into DC for more selection and better pricing.

(note - it is illegal to transport more that one gallon across state lines into VA. for personal use.)

Old 01-06-2013, 05:45 PM

4,489 posts, read 9,588,370 times
Never had an issue, but I'm not a big liquor drinker. Whenever I need something for a punch or a party or a recipe, they've had what I need and the prices don't seem outrageous. Maybe I could save a few bucks in DC, but not enough to complain about.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:55 PM

10,606 posts, read 12,152,749 times
I find them to be just fine. I come from Maryland where we had "liquor stores" which I always felt were kind of seedy. The ABC stores seem "professional" and I like that.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:12 PM

5,104 posts, read 5,408,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardwhirlboromarlpool1955 View Post
I live in Pennsylvania, the Philadelphia area more specifically, and people always complain about how bad the state-owned liquor stores are. And despite Pennsylvania being a non-Southern state, not only spirits but also wines can only be sold in these stores. Do you Virginians feel a similar sentiment? Perhaps because only stronger alcohol (spirits) is sold at ABC stores, people in VA don't care? Most people's complaints in PA are concerning the wine selections, but it's strange how PA stores dedicate very little space to spirits but the VA ABC stores are 90% spirits and 10% wine.
We can purchase wine and beer at pretty much any grocery store. I find that stores like Wegmans and Harris Tester have a really good selection. I suspect that is why ABC stores in VA have a small selection of wines.

Also, I've never complained or heard a complaint about an ABC store 's selection.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:29 PM

5,740 posts, read 8,984,262 times
I think the ABC stores are fantastic; I don't have to worry about one store having some special not available at another store. And the staff are friendly and helpful. There is no doubt that the product costs less than it would if the stores were privatized and we had to pay for the profit of some private middleman company.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:35 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,110,553 times
I think the only wines they sell at the ABC stores are Virginia produced. I'm sure that's more for politcal than business reasons as one can buy a wide selection of wines at grocery stores, including Trader Joes.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:57 PM

421 posts, read 711,314 times
I hate how Total Wine isn't allowed to sell spirits in VA. When I visited Fredericksburg last year, I saw a Total Wine and while the beer and wine selections were both outstanding, I was shocked that I had to go to an ABC store. Luckily there was one almost across the street. And a Wegmans was nearby to give Total Wine some healthy competition.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:32 PM

3,157 posts, read 8,125,171 times
I wouldn't say I flat-out hate them, but I would much prefer it if grocery stores and warehouse clubs were allowed to sell liquor.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:01 AM

206 posts, read 381,897 times
I don't believe that liquor should be restricted to state-run stores... that said, ABC stores themselves are not bad. In my experience, the customer service is decent. The selection/price seems fine to me too, but then again I don't really drink.

The one positive thing is that you don't see a bunch of sleazy liquor stores all over the bad parts of town like in MD. Just quickie loan places and nail salons...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia