Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2013, 08:29 AM

154 posts, read 387,974 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My family moved to Fairfax close to 4 years ago. We are now searching for a new rental- at least 2 bed/2bath in walking distance to either the blue or orange line and less than $2,500 a month. That has been pretty hard to find especially the closer you head toward DC. Earlier this morning I did an Internet search for the Alexandria area and found the Asher Apartments that is in walking distance to the Braddock metro. Home Page Is anybody familar with these apartments or this area? I don't normally hang out in Alexandria but when I do, it is always Old Town. Any insight would be helpful- or if you have other apartments ideas that would be great too. I would prefer not to live in a high rise.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 08:46 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
The Asher apartments are brand-new; actually, I wasn't even aware they were yet finished. They are in an area of North Old Town that is rapidly gentrifying with new apartments, condos and townhomes that have replaced a good deal of the former low-rise public housing. Some of said residents still live in the area but are unlikely to interact with you negatively unless perhaps you're stumbling home drunk off the Metro at 2am. There are other well-established apartments and condos within even shorter walking distance to Braddock Road which may or may not fit your definition of a low-rise apartment building. There are also low-rise condos and apartments on or near West/East Abingdon Drive and Bashford Lane that may be worth investigating; it would require a short ride on the DASH bus to Braddock but you would have some company on the ride.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:53 PM

270 posts, read 908,561 times
The area used to be a combination of warehouses and housing projects. It still has something of an industrial feel to it, but that is changing as the redevelopment continues. You can't get much closer to Metro, the west side of the apartments is just one block from Metro, past the projects, but that block is pretty heavily traveled and not too scary. These apartments are zoned for Maury elementary, which is a good, but they are right on the boundary with Jefferson-Houston, a school that is struggling. I am not aware of any plans to change the boundaries, but being zoned for Maury on that block is a little unusual and lucky.

Because this area is changing so fast it's hard to know what it will ultimately feel like as far as community goes. As more retail goes in with the new mixed use buildings, the area will definitely have more to do. The immediate area does not have a lot of shops and restaurants yet, but it probably will in the future. King Street is just 5-6 blocks away, though, so only a 5-10 minute walk to a lot of activity.

Just to be clear these apartments are not definitely not in "North Old Town." North Old Town, as least as residents and civic associations refer to it, is east of Washington St and north of Princess St.
NOTICe Alexandria - What is North Old Town?

Old 01-09-2013, 06:10 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbros View Post
Just to be clear these apartments are not definitely not in "North Old Town." North Old Town, as least as residents and civic associations refer to it, is east of Washington St and north of Princess St.
NOTICe Alexandria - What is North Old Town?
Point taken...although it's neither Potomac Yard to the north or Del Ray to the west. It could be considered "Parker-Gray" though some may see some a negative association with the public housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia