Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 07:04 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,428,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
This should be taken to the AAP forum on the DCUrbanM0M site. You will meet enough posters to convince you that you are the worst parent for not prepping or the best parent for not pressuring your kid.
It probably started there and came over to CD for the reactions here. Notice that the OP and the very next post by Newtocogat are "one post wonders".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 12:18 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,723,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
It probably started there and came over to CD for the reactions here. Notice that the OP and the very next post by Newtocogat are "one post wonders".
It won't let me rep you.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:06 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,140,103 times
My wife is a 3rd grade AAP teacher in Fairfax County. She wishes the folks who admit students in AAP would pay attention to the tests. A large percentage of kids with poor reading, math and English skills end up in AAP programs. These kids are admitted because their parents want them in the class. A parent that wants their kid in the AAP program can usually get them in even if it will be a negative experience for their child.

Children that are slow readers or have trouble with 3rd grade math get in the program. A lot of times the child will absorb the slow one identity because they lag behind their class. These kids are only in this situation because their parents put them in it and the poor child has to deal with mom not wanting to admit their kid is normal. This can cause a normal kid to feel like they are not pleasing their parents (which is true) because they are too dumb.

To every mom that wants to prep their kid for AAP, GET A LIFE AND DONT TRY AND GET ACCOMPLISHMENT THROUGH YOUR KIDS. If your kid is naturally gifted, it will come though. If not your kid may enjoy school more in a general ed class room. It is not about YOU being able to brag about your kid being in AAP. Don't push, prep or prod, think of what you are doing to your kid.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:23 PM

222 posts, read 238,924 times
Perfect parent for GT program: Helicopter parents or is it Snowplow parents?

I once talked to a prospective tenant for my rental property for about 10 minutes while she was checking out the place. I heard her mentioned at least 15 times that her older boy was in GT program. I ended up calling her a GT lady.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:25 PM

222 posts, read 238,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
Probably just need to get it out of her system that her kid is gifted.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:10 AM

9 posts, read 12,871 times
My child is a new student from Maryland and has to take the test again. He was already going to an actual talented and gifted school. He had taken the same test in maryland to get into to the school. When transferring him they told me he would have to start all over and take the test again. I think this is crazy since the test are the same but oh well. I feel like if he did it once he will be just fine doing it again (without prepping). I would rather him be happy and learning no where he is as long as he does not show signs of bieng bored due to needing a challenge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia