Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2013, 09:15 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,723,135 times

Advertisements

Please advise: The wife and I are going to an event at the Mandarin Oriental, just across the 14th St Bridge from Arlington. Parking in the hotel garage is $30 plus tip to the valet (a couple of bucks). Or we could park at my relative's house in Lyon Park (near 395) and take a cab from there, which is just about 5 miles--so almost exactly the same price round-trip. (Taxi for two if I use an Arlington cab company is $3.75 plus 2.10/mile and 15% tip.)

Anyone have any experience with parking at the Mandarin? I'm wondering if one option will be more tedious or stressful than the other. (I don't want us standing around waiting for the valet, nor do I want to be waiting behind a line of cars to get away from the hotel.) Thinking of calling Red Top and making a reservation for both ways. (VA cabs can pick up in DC if requested via reservation.)

Thanks for any thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 09:25 AM

428 posts, read 1,114,956 times
I'd cab it just so I didn't have to worry about driving back to Arlington after a few drinks. Not that I'm a big lush or anything, but the downtime in the cab = better safe than sorry.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themommy View Post
I'd cab it just so I didn't have to worry about driving back to Arlington after a few drinks. Not that I'm a big lush or anything, but the downtime in the cab = better safe than sorry.
Good point, but one of us is a non-drinker.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:58 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
The cab will likely be faster at the end of the event, unless you are somehow able to sneak out early, because there are never enough valets when the majority of guests are in the process of leaving. Depending upon how buried the car is, etc., it can take a good 15-20 minutes of waiting for your vehicle to finally reappear, likely when you have consigned yourself to the fact that there has been some sort of accident and the valet is so terrified that they have scratched your vehicle that they have fled the city. Also, it's always so awkward to me, socially, to reengage conversations with people to whom you may have just said your goodbyes, when you invariably encounter them at the valet line. You cannot ignore them with your iPhone, yet you don't want to continue earlier conversations...

A car service may offer a bit more luxury, but you have to pay for driver wait times, so it would be multiples of the quotes above, hence I'd take the cab, but confirm the details, so that you don't end up waiting anyway.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-20-2013, 11:50 AM

BMWGuy, thanks! (The "goodbye again" dilemma sounds like a Seinfeld/Curb episode.)

Just went over there now (on an errand) and discovered there's a garage next door--$10 for one evening, self-park! So we'll probably do that.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:45 AM

Just following up for posterity: Garage self-parking was definitely the best option. I felt sorry for the gaggle of people waiting for the valets when we left. The only difficulty was getting around the loop, because the hotel had basically commandeered the street, using one lane of traffic for valet parking and leaving just one for traffic--which was mostly cabs. Fortunately, we have a small car, so I managed to dart through and around all the buffoons.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:04 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
That's good, and you were able to miss all of the forced togetherness after bidding adieu indoors. It can be most fun when you have to wait around for your car, after tipping the valet on the way in to keep it up front, with your ex-fiancée (still a good friend) and her new husband who can barely stand to be in the same room with you. Oh, happy times...

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia