Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 03:47 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,725,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
and the layout and traffic of Annandale is problematic - (and the County plan to fix it has not gone anywhere, that I know of).
Which fix are you referring to? The one that involved closing Columbia Pike at 236? I thought that was scrapped?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 03:58 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,560,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFish View Post
Which fix are you referring to? The one that involved closing Columbia Pike at 236? I thought that was scrapped?
The one Ive seen had a lot of parts - additional road connections, a reconfigured 236, etc. My understanding is that its on the back burner for lack of funding, not that it was scrapped.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
The one Ive seen had a lot of parts - additional road connections, a reconfigured 236, etc. My understanding is that its on the back burner for lack of funding, not that it was scrapped.
I think that's the one that I saw -- parts of John Marr Dr configured as one way, as with parts of 236, with parts of 236 widened to 6 lanes, etc. Thanks!

Old 04-09-2013, 07:22 AM

136 posts, read 222,939 times
Quote:

But its possible there will be a market specifically for cheaper brand new units, in convenient locations. Think something like this Apartments Near The Atlas District In Northeast DC - Flats At Atlas In Washington, DC 20002 which is cheaper than most new DC buildings, but in a more questionable location (the wrong side of the H Street district) or this Arts District Apartments Hyattsville - The Palette At Arts District Apartments for Rent in Hyattsville, MD 20781

The area by the bowling alley isn't exactly the most attractive for people looking for this sort of thing - and the layout and traffic of Annandale is problematic - (and the County plan to fix it has not gone anywhere, that I know of).

But Annandale is not quite the upscale/hipster amenity desert some people think though - we have an indie coffee roaster Beanetics - The Evolution of Better Coffee a frozen yogurt shop Tutti Frutti Frozen Yogurt - Annandale, VA and an independent local bike shop (no web presence, but they are there near the VW repair place)
That's certainly possible, but again, I never really thought of Annandale as the gateway to Tysons. Maybe others will though. As for those two projects you mentioned, I'm not too familiar with them, but aren't they located closer to the "desired" areas than Annandale is to Tysons? For example, the H Street district is accessible by metro and, more importantly, people perceive the area as up and coming. I have a co-worker who rides his bike from that area to Metro Center in like 10-15 minutes.

I have no idea how hipster Annandale is, but my general feeling is that the area around the bowling alley isn't considered "nice" by hipsters, yuppies, preppies, or whomever else.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC Merrifield View Post
That's certainly possible, but again, I never really thought of Annandale as the gateway to Tysons. Maybe others will though. As for those two projects you mentioned, I'm not too familiar with them, but aren't they located closer to the "desired" areas than Annandale is to Tysons? For example, the H Street district is accessible by metro and, more importantly, people perceive the area as up and coming. I have a co-worker who rides his bike from that area to Metro Center in like 10-15 minutes.

I have no idea how hipster Annandale is, but my general feeling is that the area around the bowling alley isn't considered "nice" by hipsters, yuppies, preppies, or whomever else.

Yeah, I didnt mean to imply that annandale was like Bladensburg road in DC (but the location of Flats at Atlas, is not nice at all - though its pretty close to places that are further along). My point was merely that if new high amenity units (Class A units)at a desired location become too pricey for some folks, while most will choose older units instead, at least a few will choose new Class A units in less desirable locations. And if that happens for Tysons, Im not sure where the place for those units is going to be. Falls Church and Dunn Loring are happening, but those locations are close to metro (the thing about Annandale being far from metro, is that the land costs do not reflect a premium for metro, and for the commuters to Tysons from the south, southeast, southwest metro isn't that big a deal. Why pay a metro access premium to live in Halsted in order to commute from Halsted to Tysons?)

So that leaves places like McLean, Vienna, the Rte 29 corridor out to and through City of Fairfax, as alterrnatives. I don't know much about the prospects for new buildings in Mclean, but the others are either places where zoning will prevent new construction, afaik, or that are more difficult of access to Tysons than Annandale.

Its possible that the supply of new units in Tysons will be sufficient to prevent this - or that there will be a demand for this, but it won't be able to overcome the disamenity value of Annandale. The developer has a couple of years of moving things through the approval and planning pipeline before deciding if the conditions are ripe to build or not.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:50 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,237 times
Quote:
Are you talking about this?

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dpz/com.../annandale.pdf

Old 04-17-2013, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Thanks for asking. I heard about this one:

http://www.fcrevit.org/annandale/dow...eTransPlan.pdf

and then heard at least two members of the Board of Supervisors state that the option that included making John Marr Dr a one-way east/north-east was scrapped.

But that was a while ago and have heard nothing since.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Thanks for asking. I heard about this one:

http://www.fcrevit.org/annandale/dow...eTransPlan.pdf

and then heard at least two members of the Board of Supervisors state that the option that included making John Marr Dr a one-way east/north-east was scrapped.

But that was a while ago and have heard nothing since.

well good - I don't think we want more wide one way roads - two way gives more route options to drivers, and acts (sort of) as traffic calming - the conversion to two way in old Town Fairfax has worked out, AFAIK.

I hope that does not mean the rest of the project is scrapped though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia