Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2013, 09:39 AM

1 posts, read 4,036 times

Advertisements

I may be moving from Sunny Phoenix to Dumfries, Va for work. I understand traffic sucks, housing is outragous as is most stuff.

What can I expect for yearly expenses? what do people pay to register cars? also they have a yearly inspection or something as well right?

I drive a diesel truck, what are lift laws? gun laws (south of DC)?

What can everyone tell me? I am thinking about living in the fredericksburg area. Seems more reasonable priced. I would like ot find a nice 3br 2 car garage house on a fenced yard. but that seems rare.

what can everyone tell me? anyone commute from fredericksburg to Dumfries area? time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 01:47 PM

4,372 posts, read 8,051,956 times
It depends on the county what your vehicle registration costs are. In PWC, it was about $50 for 1 year on my truck. There is an annual safety inspection ($12) and if the car is registered in certain counties an emissions test every 2 years. There is also an annual property tax on the vehicle. See here for other relevant info: Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

No clue on lifted truck laws. VA is home to the NRA HQ and firearm ownership is pretty prevalent. Lots of indoor and outdoor shooting ranges in the area. Here's a quick primer: NRA-ILA | Virginia

Old 01-24-2013, 04:04 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,161,678 times
Concealed carry laws for VA. LIS > Code of Virginia > 18.2-308

As far as the commute it will suck. I wouldn't wish I 95 on my worst enemy. If you can swing it I would stay either north of Dumfries on 95 or look west of Dumfries along RT 234 (Dumfries Rd). Montclair or one of the numerous developments along 234, Minnieville Rd and a few others. I recently drove N/B on 95 from Fredericksburg back to Prince William Co. Due to a truck crash traffic was backed up for many miles for those going S/B. I saw 18 miles of solid back up where I got off at Rt 234 and the back up continued.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:52 PM

8,975 posts, read 21,059,414 times
What is your preferred housing budget? Your dollar may not go as far as would in the Phoenix area...but as the major job centers are far north of Dumfries, you'll have relatively more options.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:00 AM

4 posts, read 6,995 times
As far as owning a home, stay out of Dumfries. They have a town tax which on my property is about $1,000 more than the rest of Prince William County. Woodbridge/Dale City is a better area. I have a symbiotic relationship with my commute to NW DC and my motorcycle. Without the bike and HOV, I would have moved back to Utah before buying a house south of DC. If you ride, then you can afford to go farther south. Or you can slug slash take the bus lanes. Also Dumfries charges a vehicle tax where they require you pay $27 per vehicle and stick a stupid ass sticker on your car. (as if we didn't already have enough stickers). On top of paying the additional taxes, you can expect the... of town of dumfries not to allow you to put a propane tank underground. All permitting apparently goes through Dumfries and not PWC. We just barely bought in January of 2013 and already our first permit (this is a fixer upper type house) has been denied. The kicker was a professional licensed contractor submitted the application. I called the county and they said we could. So in Summary, you'll pay more taxes for less freedoms. STAY OUT OF DUMFRIES. It's nothing but a trailer park trash dump with no future of becoming anything more (because they wont let investors invest).

Last edited by FindingZen; 03-21-2013 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: watch the profanity

Old 03-20-2013, 10:50 AM

6,512 posts, read 8,298,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lethisuber View Post
They have a town tax which on my property is about $1,000 more than the rest of Prince William County. Also Dumfries charges a vehicle tax where they require you pay $27 per vehicle and stick a stupid sticker on your car.
Many towns/cities in Virginia have taxes in addition to county taxes. It's not limited to Dumfries.

It pays to do research on an area before buying a house.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:12 PM

20,099 posts, read 16,023,864 times
Working in Dumfries, your commute won't be near as bad as for those that work in DC or at the Pentagon, no matter where you chose to live. There are parts of Dumfries that are decent. Montclair is very near Dumfries and it has some nice places. There are parts of Dumfries that aren't bad either, but I would check out the city taxes. The further south you go down I-95 the cheaper it gets. Stafford is also a reasonable option if you don't want to live in the Dumfries/Triangle area.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:57 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,496,474 times
The town tax pays for trash pickup, (theoretically) better snowplowing and police services and ... on a $200k place it comes out to $52.50 or so a month, and you'd be paying for trash pickup anyway ... remember, HOA fees are NOT tax-deductible whereas town taxes are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia