Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 09:58 PM

13 posts, read 35,371 times

Advertisements

Hi ,

I moved last april from Dubai to Virginia. My Husband is on H1B and i am on H4 visa.

Though I am an Indian citizen I just have my valid license from Dubai, since I have been living there for many years prior to moving to US.

I have been trying to get a road test for US license for last 4 months but no luck, they wont allow me to take a test.. The DMV in Virginia just has only one response no matter what.. Please see DMV email response below

DMV response :

"According to our records, your documents were submitted for elevated review. According to the Identification Review Services at headquarters, you will need to provide either an I-797 in your name, an I-539 showing a change of status, or have your foreign driver's license translated by the Foreign embassy in addition to the documents you provided. The translation need to be on letterhead with the embassy seal. Until these documents are provided, you will not be able to begin the driver's license process."

Below are my issues.
1. I never received any I-797 on my name for H4 visa, Only my husband has a I-797 on his name. On checking couple of USCIS link, I realised that an H4 visa holder entering the country first time doesnt get a I-797.. so I will never get one.. until a reach an extension after couple of years or so..
2. I-539 is not relevant for me as I am not changing my status.. So i wont have that too
3. On enquiring with the Dubai , UAE embassy in DC. they told me that they dont issue any letter at all.

So Its a real torture for me.. dont know what to do.. Its as if a person in H4 is doomed and doesnt even have the basic right to drive in US.. I am completely pissed off..

Please help, if any one has got a US license in H4 visa in Virginia..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 10:33 PM

810 posts, read 1,024,927 times
Doing a quick search on the web... the following link may help you:
Normal.dot

Old 01-25-2013, 04:03 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,465,319 times
You might get more responses posting this on immigration forums. People in this forum might concur with your feelings towards DMV, but immigration law is a whole new territory.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:38 AM

173 posts, read 497,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairfax_user View Post
Hi ,

I moved last april from Dubai to Virginia. My Husband is on H1B and i am on H4 visa.

Though I am an Indian citizen I just have my valid license from Dubai, since I have been living there for many years prior to moving to US.

I have been trying to get a road test for US license for last 4 months but no luck, they wont allow me to take a test.. The DMV in Virginia just has only one response no matter what.. Please see DMV email response below

DMV response :

"According to our records, your documents were submitted for elevated review. According to the Identification Review Services at headquarters, you will need to provide either an I-797 in your name, an I-539 showing a change of status, or have your foreign driver's license translated by the Foreign embassy in addition to the documents you provided. The translation need to be on letterhead with the embassy seal. Until these documents are provided, you will not be able to begin the driver's license process."

Below are my issues.
1. I never received any I-797 on my name for H4 visa, Only my husband has a I-797 on his name. On checking couple of USCIS link, I realised that an H4 visa holder entering the country first time doesnt get a I-797.. so I will never get one.. until a reach an extension after couple of years or so..
2. I-539 is not relevant for me as I am not changing my status.. So i wont have that too
3. On enquiring with the Dubai , UAE embassy in DC. they told me that they dont issue any letter at all.

So Its a real torture for me.. dont know what to do.. Its as if a person in H4 is doomed and doesnt even have the basic right to drive in US.. I am completely pissed off..

Please help, if any one has got a US license in H4 visa in Virginia..
Your valid visa stamped on your passport and I-94 with the validity dates should be enough. These two documents supercede the I-797 form. Your husband's I-797 should be attached as a supporting document to verify that you are in valid H4 status. You will need to pursue this very hard with the DMV and they are not very helpful but legally with the above 3 documents you should get the license.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:30 PM

270 posts, read 908,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metclubin View Post
Your valid visa stamped on your passport and I-94 with the validity dates should be enough. These two documents supercede the I-797 form. Your husband's I-797 should be attached as a supporting document to verify that you are in valid H4 status. You will need to pursue this very hard with the DMV and they are not very helpful but legally with the above 3 documents you should get the license.

I think this is right. This is NOT an immigration issue at all. This is a Virginia DMV issue. You have all the documents you need to prove legal presence. Your passport, with a valid visa, and a valid, stamped I-94 suffice to prove legal presence. You still have to prove Virginia residency and identity, though. It seems from the DMV note that they are contesting your identity, not your status. if memory serves you need two IDs to prove identity. Your passport is one, but a driver's license can be another. I would ask them specifically what do they want - proof of legal presence, residency, or identity. Getting a driver's license for the first time in VA is painful for everybody these days.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:21 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbros View Post
I think this is right. This is NOT an immigration issue at all. This is a Virginia DMV issue. You have all the documents you need to prove legal presence. Your passport, with a valid visa, and a valid, stamped I-94 suffice to prove legal presence. You still have to prove Virginia residency and identity, though. It seems from the DMV note that they are contesting your identity, not your status. if memory serves you need two IDs to prove identity. Your passport is one, but a driver's license can be another. I would ask them specifically what do they want - proof of legal presence, residency, or identity. Getting a driver's license for the first time in VA is painful for everybody these days.
I'd probably take a passport, marriage license and a utility bill. Seems like those would be sufficient.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:04 AM

270 posts, read 908,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I'd probably take a passport, marriage license and a utility bill. Seems like those would be sufficient.
Maybe in the old days that would have worked, but not any more. You have to have two primary proofs of identity from two different government agencies, to start. And then you have to prove residency and legal presence. So if you have a US passport and a US citizen ID card, that's not enough! VA still doesn't believe you. And then they check the IDs with the issuing authority, so you can't just walk out of the DMV with a new driver's license, even if you have all the documents. You have to wait for it to come in the mail. And DMV reserves the right to require additional documents, if they see fit.

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/pdf/dmv141.pdf

Old 01-26-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Maybe in the old days that would have worked, but not any more. You have to have two primary proofs of identity from two different government agencies, to start. And then you have to prove residency and legal presence. So if you have a US passport and a US citizen ID card, that's not enough! VA still doesn't believe you. And then they check the IDs with the issuing authority, so you can't just walk out of the DMV with a new driver's license, even if you have all the documents. You have to wait for it to come in the mail. And DMV reserves the right to require additional documents, if they see fit.

Aren't a passport and marriage license two primary proofs from two different government agencies? That's what my wife used when she switched her name on her VA license a few years ago (after 9/11). A marriage license was preferable to a birth certificate for a woman because of the name situation. I don't think you can produce anything as good as those two forms of ID except maybe a passport and a CAC or other government ID which a foreigner would be unlikely to have.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:20 AM

13 posts, read 35,371 times
Thank you everyone for your suggestions.. what ever options i discussed with DMV.. they just keep coming back to the email they sent and say this is what is the current status in their system.. and I need to provide the second ID only from that list and nothing else would work..

Old 01-26-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:

I should have taken a look at your list first. I withdraw my suggestion. I didn't realize those forms of ID my wife used don't work for a non-U.S. citizen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia