U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 08:03 PM

3,889 posts, read 2,863,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I don't get mad if someone doesn't turn right on red.
umm, I actually do. Unless there is a "No Turn on Red" sign, you should turn if there is no oncoming traffic. If you don't, it means one of three things.

1 - you don't know the road rules of the state. If so, you shouldn't be driving here.

2 - you are uncomfortable behind the wheel. If so, you shouldn't be driving anywhere.

3 - you are checking your phone. If so, the laws should be changed and you should get a ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 08:20 PM

3,975 posts, read 6,522,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
umm, I actually do. Unless there is a "No Turn on Red" sign, you should turn if there is no oncoming traffic. If you don't, it means one of three things.

1 - you don't know the road rules of the state. If so, you shouldn't be driving here.

2 - you are uncomfortable behind the wheel. If so, you shouldn't be driving anywhere.

3 - you are checking your phone. If so, the laws should be changed and you should get a ticket.

4- you are driving a large, slow accelerating vehicle that makes turning on red unsafe (Metro's probable
rationale).

5- there are intersections where right on red should be prohibited, but isn't. (bad sightlines)

Old 01-29-2013, 08:23 PM

135 posts, read 203,059 times
Quote:

It is unrealistic to expect all human beings will be able to drive with the skill and confidence as the very best drivers. Just like everything else there is a bell curve. My advice is to calmly accept that you will come across bad drivers every day, because..., well you will. Getting upset about it does no one any good.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
4- you are driving a large, slow accelerating vehicle that makes turning on red unsafe (Metro's probable
rationale)
all right, this is an actual reasonable reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
there are intersections where right on red should be prohibited, but isn't. (bad sightlines)
I will only buy this argument if you give me a specific example of an intersection that VDOT felt safe, but you do not. I tend to find that VDOT certainly errs on the side of (much) caution.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgatedenizen View Post
It is unrealistic to expect all human beings will be able to drive with the skill and confidence as the very best drivers. Just like everything else there is a bell curve. My advice is to calmly accept that you will come across bad drivers every day, because..., well you will. Getting upset about it does no one any good.
I don't expect all drivers to have the exact skill as the best, but I certainly expect all to have the same confidence. You are driving a four thousand pound weapon. If you are not 100%
confident in your skills to do so, you should NOT BE DRIVING!

And, turning right on red (when it is legal) is not a "skill", it is what you do.....it's just like a stop sign.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:03 PM

1,597 posts, read 1,356,177 times
Quote:
And, turning right on red (when it is legal) is not a "skill", it is what you do.....it's just like a stop sign.
This.

I certainly would have been pretty annoyed, since I assume the OP was not driving an enormous bus. You only have so much free time in your life on weekdays in this area, so getting stuck at every right hand turn because drivers are too ignorant/pansy/whatever to make a right on red is a huge waste.

It's bad enough that there are already so many "no right turn on red" signs that aren't time-based. Many of them make sense during rush hour, but are a waste of time at off-peak hours. Same with red left-turn arrows. Many of those need to go to yield-on-green when it's not rush hour.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:40 PM

136 posts, read 152,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
This.

I certainly would have been pretty annoyed, since I assume the OP was not driving an enormous bus. You only have so much free time in your life on weekdays in this area, so getting stuck at every right hand turn because drivers are too ignorant/pansy/whatever to make a right on red is a huge waste.
Wow.
I asked a simple question about a particular scenario, if you even bothered to read my initial post. Nowhere did I express that I don't make right turns as a matter of course.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:46 AM

469 posts, read 526,773 times
Gekkota: That most likely wasn't addressed specifically to you -- that one intersection for you in addition to other drivers who don't want to make a logical and safe turn, as well.

(I write that having been behind 2 cars coming from Nutley Road in Fairfax City and turning onto Rt. 236 west. Now, I might have missed some other sign, but the sign that was on the right-hand curb said "No right turn when pedestrians are present," and neither car would budge when there were no pedestrians but there were large-enough gaps in the traffic. Yes I beeped. Didn't help. I just don't get it -- other than that sitting at lights are prime cellphone/texting time for some folks.)

I don't know if you were also wondering about the stop line you mentioned that was far back from where you would make your right-hand turn, but it's generally so traffic in the lanes to your left can more quickly see a pedestrian crossing, while you've already stopped a distance far enough back for the pedestrian to safely cross your lane (at least, that's what Dr. Gridlock says...)

Old 01-30-2013, 04:17 AM

4,196 posts, read 5,192,323 times
Quote:
I don't expect all drivers to have the exact skill as the best, but I certainly expect all to have the same confidence. You are driving a four thousand pound weapon. If you are not 100%
confident in your skills to do so, you should NOT BE DRIVING!

I'll bet I could stump you on some traffic laws in VA you are not familiar with. No one knows every traffic law in their state. Heck, as a police officer for over 30 years I did not memorize the entire VA or PWC traffic codes. Lawyers/judges do not know the entire traffic code.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I'll bet I could stump you on some traffic laws in VA you are not familiar with. No one knows every traffic law in their state. Heck, as a police officer for over 30 years I did not memorize the entire VA or PWC traffic codes. Lawyers/judges do not know the entire traffic code.
You are absolutely right. I don't know every single law. But some of them are more evident in your every day driving, and should be known by everyone.

And, correct me if I am wrong, but ignorance of the law is never a valid excuse in the eyes of the courts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia