Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2013, 11:39 AM

254 posts, read 423,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I hope you're joking but fear you might not be!
No it's been like that for most of this year lol. I thought everyone was like this? We ran out of soap last week so someone brought a bar of soap for everyone to share. He broke it up into 10 pieces so we all had a small section of soap to use LOL.

It sucks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 11:54 AM

617 posts, read 1,355,752 times
I work for a sub-agency under Homeland Security. We got Notices back on March 7th though haven't had anything official handed out yet. Our notice said the intention was for all employees to be furloughed not more than 14 days, or 112 work hours. This is supposed to occur between April 21 and September 30, which is something like 23 weeks, so it looks like it won't actually be a "one day a week" thing.

It won't be fun, but hopefully we can manage.

Oh, and Mike...what you describe sucks. To this point, the folks who clean the bathrooms, vacuum, etc. have been here every day, we haven't gone as far as your agency apparently has.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:49 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecart1 View Post
No it's been like that for most of this year lol. I thought everyone was like this? We ran out of soap last week so someone brought a bar of soap for everyone to share. He broke it up into 10 pieces so we all had a small section of soap to use LOL.

It sucks!
Sorry to hear that!

We've been told to stop a lot of printing when possible, and most travel and training has been put on hold. But nothing as picayune as what your place is doing.

It's so absurd that the Smithsonian is not doing furloughs at all, but things related to national security are getting cut.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:25 PM

4,435 posts, read 8,122,653 times
Our group has been told we're not going to go through furloughs. We'll see if they sick to that. I'm cautiously optimistic but I've got some reserves saved in case something changes.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:09 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
It's so absurd that the Smithsonian is not doing furloughs at all, but things related to national security are getting cut.
Demand for the Smithsonian's services have gone up while national security concerns are kind of on the wane, so this isn't surprising. Defense spending has lost support on both sides of the aisle with the tea party returning to its roots in the Taft/America Firster wing of the Republican party. The right seems willing to sell defense down the river in exchange for lower taxes.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:14 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Demand for the Smithsonian's services have gone up while national security concerns are kind of on the wane, so this isn't surprising. Defense spending has lost support on both sides of the aisle with the tea party returning to its roots in the Taft/America Firster wing of the Republican party. The right seems willing to sell defense down the river in exchange for lower taxes.
The Smithsonian never received tens of millions of dollars to support something like a war (or was it 2-3 wars?). Furthermore, they have already been getting fed cuts to their budgets in the last few years. Also, the Smithsonian is not a "purely" federal agency. They have Trust Funds which operate similarly to a federal system but are not federal $.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:14 PM

254 posts, read 423,016 times
Furloughed delayed by 2 weeks!

Old 03-21-2013, 12:16 PM

28 posts, read 53,039 times
Yay!

Old 03-21-2013, 01:34 PM

504 posts, read 1,212,212 times
I am tired of all these theatrical resolutions. Bring it on and balance the budget!

Old 03-21-2013, 01:51 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecart1 View Post
Furloughed delayed by 2 weeks!
Same here. I wonder if there is new language in the continuing resolution that allows each department to have more flexibility with the sequestration so they can now avoid furloughs. I guess we shall see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia