U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 08:06 AM

5,077 posts, read 13,027,279 times

Advertisements

Ok, after reading these posts, I have a question - and by the way, great information! It's quite possible that my fiance may be offered a job in Middletown, VA. We are definitely planning on having at least an hour commute in any direction. That said, I've found a couple (and I literally mean two) of properties with about 5 or more acres for around $250K - $300K. Since we have horses, this is our only option to find land. We are aware that it's going to be pricey. Any one have any suggestions for any certain areas that would offer us such a property? Like I said before, we already are both planning an hour or more commute just so we can have some land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 03:01 AM

1,318 posts, read 3,064,211 times
Default Housing is not THAT crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
To be fair, SmerkyGrl's comment may have been before real estate went into the full free fall that we are now experiencing. Even so, I'd be surprised to find a (new) condo in Reston for under $250-275K.

And no, the DC metro housing market isn't as overheated as California - or NYC for that matter - but I bet we're in the top ten.
214k!

Condo/Townhouse/Co-Op - 12000 MARKET STREET Unit: T86, RESTON, VA, 20190 - Realtor.com
Not BRAND new, but 2004 is not bad, and I can't say I dislike the location, if I had 40k for a downpayment and I could see working in the general area for the next 7 years I would take a stab at it, after taxes it wouldn't be that much more than rent, if at all. Oh, it rents for around $1375/month:

Rentals - RESTON, VA, 20190 - Realtor.com

You know considering rents prices in Reston, prices are not unreasonable. Unlike here where a condo that rents for $1400/month (up from $1340/month last year) would sell for $350k (down from $380k last year), I moved to crazy land....

Move to NoVA if you want, and don't be discouraged, you can have a nice condo for less than $275k if you want. (If you move to PWCo you can buy a townhouse for less than $200k, but some people don't want that stuff to get out) Heck you can buy a used condo for less than $140k get a 15yr mortgage, pay it off in 15yrs, and never pay a dime of interest or rent ever again. It is not all doom and gloom like some posters would like people to think.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:53 AM

7,966 posts, read 18,039,589 times
Points taken. And I bet prices have come down even more since I wrote that.

Regarding Prince William County, there's a reason why one may find townhomes under $200K, most notably the long, traffic-clogged commute north into Fairfax and DC as well as other negative perceptions. So there would be some significant trade-offs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
214k!

Condo/Townhouse/Co-Op - 12000 MARKET STREET Unit: T86, RESTON, VA, 20190 - Realtor.com
Not BRAND new, but 2004 is not bad, and I can't say I dislike the location, if I had 40k for a downpayment and I could see working in the general area for the next 7 years I would take a stab at it, after taxes it wouldn't be that much more than rent, if at all. Oh, it rents for around $1375/month:

Rentals - RESTON, VA, 20190 - Realtor.com

You know considering rents prices in Reston, prices are not unreasonable. Unlike here where a condo that rents for $1400/month (up from $1340/month last year) would sell for $350k (down from $380k last year), I moved to crazy land....

Move to NoVA if you want, and don't be discouraged, you can have a nice condo for less than $275k if you want. (If you move to PWCo you can buy a townhouse for less than $200k, but some people don't want that stuff to get out) Heck you can buy a used condo for less than $140k get a 15yr mortgage, pay it off in 15yrs, and never pay a dime of interest or rent ever again. It is not all doom and gloom like some posters would like people to think.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:12 PM

7 posts, read 83,875 times
Smile Movin' to NOVA

It seems SmerkyGrl has painted a vivid and truthful of picture NOVA (Northern Virginia). Re housing: my thoughts are if you're single be prepared to share if you want to experience somewhat comfortable living arrangements. Seems decent average share rent (w/1 or 2 others) runs between $600-$700 +/- (depending on your location and preference for roomies. I live in Burke (fairly upscale, on average, and pay $600 (free utilities and sat tv) and share w/2. Housing is extremely varied. Great job opportunities and quality of life improvements for many. All sorts of quality education here for the taking. Seems there is a srip mall on every corner

Welcome.

UVA1

Old 05-02-2008, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 14,837 times
Default NVA suks

NVA is sooo unfriendly.....The prices are 4x higher than other areas of the country that are alot nicer. Traffic is the worst...couple that with no-road courtesy!! Most people have zero manners. The restaurants are low-class even the national chains are not as good as Dallas & Chicago. A small house that looks like a tool-shed (800 sq. ft.) is $300,000!!! What a rip-off!! worst place I've ever lived...I'm ashamed to tell people I live in Alexandria, Va.
I live in a run-down dumphole efficiency for $950.00 a month.....
I've lived in Dallas and a suburb of Chicago.....a NICE one-bedroom is $500.
There is a mall on every corner and most people have manners. the job opay is the same in most fields. Only if you're in politics or forced to live here in the military would there be any reason....I'm leaving as fast as I can...
Even people in southern Virginia or the NW areas hate NVA. It should annex and become part of (DC-rated the murder capital of America).

Old 05-02-2008, 11:11 PM

488 posts, read 1,582,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyeKay1 View Post
NVA is sooo unfriendly.....The prices are 4x higher than other areas of the country that are alot nicer. Traffic is the worst...couple that with no-road courtesy!! Most people have zero manners. The restaurants are low-class even the national chains are not as good as Dallas & Chicago. A small house that looks like a tool-shed (800 sq. ft.) is $300,000!!! What a rip-off!! worst place I've ever lived...I'm ashamed to tell people I live in Alexandria, Va.
I live in a run-down dumphole efficiency for $950.00 a month.....
I've lived in Dallas and a suburb of Chicago.....a NICE one-bedroom is $500.
There is a mall on every corner and most people have manners. the job opay is the same in most fields. Only if you're in politics or forced to live here in the military would there be any reason....I'm leaving as fast as I can...
Even people in southern Virginia or the NW areas hate NVA. It should annex and become part of (DC-rated the murder capital of America).
Goosfraba...goosfraba

Old 05-24-2008, 12:56 PM

36 posts, read 328,323 times
hahah, why is Annadale call asiandale?

Old 05-25-2008, 05:47 PM

7,966 posts, read 18,039,589 times
While Asians are still a minority in Annandale, there are a lot of businesses owned by or catering towards them, particularly Koreans.

Just another example of the wonderful diversity in Northern Virginia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tideas View Post
hahah, why is Annadale call asiandale?

Last edited by FindingZen; 05-26-2008 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-26-2008, 12:39 AM

36 posts, read 328,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
While Asian are still a minority in Annandale, there are a lot of businesses owned by or catering towards them, particularly Koreans.

Just another example of the wonderful diversity in Northern Virginia.

there must be enough of a korean population to serve those businesses right? Anybody know the ethnic breakdown of that place? Is it all korean? or other asian races as well?

Old 05-26-2008, 01:36 AM

2 posts, read 18,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEIK View Post
Goosfraba...goosfraba
This is a community perceived perhaps of special interests , government contracts and advisors, members and candidates for elected offices, but -- without all the magnetism of elected offices and related opportunities, my family moved to Alexandria in the late 60s. I've lived within five miles of their zipcode since I move away from home. If you're looking to recreate home, find the right community. Or create one. We need talented people here -- sounds like you might be one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia