Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 10:12 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,839,143 times

Advertisements

In light of the thread a few weeks ago about rescues and breeders, etc. Here is a breeder that looked good on the outside, but not on the inside.

Va. breeder testifies business no puppy mill, others disagree - WTOP.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 10:41 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,045,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
In light of the thread a few weeks ago about rescues and breeders, etc. Here is a breeder that looked good on the outside, but not on the inside.

Va. breeder testifies business no puppy mill, others disagree - WTOP.com
One interesting thing noted here was that the breeder operated separate web sites for each of the breeds she was selling - presumably in order to create the impression that she was only raising one breed of dog.

I honestly don't know whether our next dog will be a pure-bred or a rescue dog. I learned a lot about different breeds as a kid, so my desire to make use of that knowledge when the opportunity arises is fairly strong. Either way, my due diligence will definitely continue to include a personal visit to a breeder's home/kennel if I'm not doing the rescue route.

Thanks for posting.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:10 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,904,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I honestly don't know whether our next dog will be a pure-bred or a rescue dog. I learned a lot about different breeds as a kid, so my desire to make use of that knowledge when the opportunity arises is fairly strong. Either way, my due diligence will definitely continue to include a personal visit to a breeder's home/kennel if I'm not doing the rescue route.

Thanks for posting.
Sometimes a nice compromise is going through breed rescue. My friend got a great springer spaniel that way. Generally in that case the dogs are kept in foster homes with people very familiar with the breed, so you can get some really good information on temperament/structure/etc. I want a papillion for my next agility dog (something portable yet still drivey!) and will look to breed rescue if there isn't anything suitable in local shelters.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:14 AM

I'm all for getting a purebred if an individual wants a purebred. I've worked in rescue for many, many years but when it comes time for me to get a dog that is compatible with my cats I am very set on an Anatolian Shepherd and it must be purebred. Not to take away from rescue because I am a huge rescue advocate!

We have participated in a lot of rescues where breeders looked for all appearances sake - completely great and even participated in local shows....but turned out to be overbreeding. You could go into their house to a point...and that part of the house looked great...it was what was behind the scenes. Anyways - just trying to stress to those who go to breeders to definitely check them out with a finetooth comb.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
I'm all for getting a purebred if an individual wants a purebred. I've worked in rescue for many, many years but when it comes time for me to get a dog that is compatible with my cats I am very set on an Anatolian Shepherd and it must be purebred. Not to take away from rescue because I am a huge rescue advocate!

We have participated in a lot of rescues where breeders looked for all appearances sake - completely great and even participated in local shows....but turned out to be overbreeding. You could go into their house to a point...and that part of the house looked great...it was what was behind the scenes. Anyways - just trying to stress to those who go to breeders to definitely check them out with a finetooth comb.
You can do both (Purebred and rescue) Welcome to the National Anatolian Shepherd Network

That said, when there are other animals in the house and you want a large breed dog, there is value in getting a puppy who can learn appropriate boundaries when it is small.

The lady I train with has a papillon from a situation like you describe. The breeder had highly prized dogs, all with championship show titles, many, many of her puppies have gone on to MACH titles in agility, etc. Yet the breeder's basement was basically a puppy mill. Any dog that wasn't purchased as a puppy was a neurotic mess because it never left the basement (except to go to shows for a few hours). My friend got her dog at 7 from this breeder, and the dog is scared of it's own shadow. She has had to do TONS of work to get a dog who doesn't pee itself when it sees a child or a cat.

Get the animal that you can handle! No sense in getting a rescue or a puppy or an older dog or a certain breed because you think you are "supposed to" if you don't have the time/energy/desire to handle the quirks that come along with it.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:48 AM

2,489 posts, read 3,384,601 times
Thank you for posting this article, Vermonter16. Wish more people would be aware of places like this and not give them business by purchasing their puppies. They are preying on people who are not informed and contributing to a huge population of unhealthy, unwanted dogs. People who insist on getting purebred puppies for household pets are the ones who keep individuals like this lady in operation.

To anyone wanting to get a dog: Please consider adopting a dog from a humane society or animal shelter.

Last edited by Fern435; 02-08-2013 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 02-08-2013, 11:49 AM

I hear ya CaliTerp It is definitely on my list to check when the time comes!

Old 02-08-2013, 01:06 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,776,171 times
I like mutts (yeah, I know it's not politically correct terminology these days but it makes it fun to sing "I like cute mutts!" to the tune of the old Sir Mix-A-Lot song to my dog).

So no breeder will ever have the dog I want. However, I am a bit gun-shy of rescue groups based on past experience with one. My dog is only 13-years-old (and going strong) so I am not looking for a new dog anytime soon, but I also know that they don't live forever and I *can't* be without a dog.

I am pretty certain I will either go to the Fairfax County Animal Shelter or Animal Welfare League of Alexandria for my next dog.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I am pretty certain I will either go to the Fairfax County Animal Shelter or Animal Welfare League of Alexandria for my next dog.
My dog came from AWLA (I get postcards addressed to my "AWLA Alumnus"--it's quite cute!) They did a fantastic job analyzing her good with cats, kids, no food aggression, etc), but we did have to jump through the same hoops as with a rescue group (home visit, vet check, references, etc). Just to prepare you for it.

But since good dogs live to be at least 50, neither of us will be worrying about that for a while

Old 02-08-2013, 02:18 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,776,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
My dog came from AWLA (I get postcards addressed to my "AWLA Alumnus"--it's quite cute!) They did a fantastic job analyzing her good with cats, kids, no food aggression, etc), but we did have to jump through the same hoops as with a rescue group (home visit, vet check, references, etc). Just to prepare you for it.

But since good dogs live to be at least 50, neither of us will be worrying about that for a while
Oh, I don't mind all the hoops, so that's not an issue. I just like consistency in the adoption process. The group that I had the bad experience with (and it wasn't me directly, it was my mom) did all the hoop stuff too but then just never followed up with my mom, would drag their heels, then criteria would change and my mom changed things, then the dog my mom wanted to adopt suddenly was adopted to someone else and she had to start over, but then they said she lived too far away (even though before they said she didn't). etc.

It wouldn't have bothered me if they just said upfront "you live too far away for us to adopt out to you." What bothered me is that they kind of lead my mom on for months over dog adoption and then said it. It was just a very inconsiderate thing to do.

I know it was just one group and one bad experience and it's not fair to judge all groups by this one. But it really put my mom though a lot of heartache.

I like the organization and procedures of the brick and mortar shelters. At least, I've never had a problem adoption a pet from a brick and mortar place (and my mom didn't either when she finally just went to one). I would go to a rescue organization though if it came with recommendations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia