U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-10-2013, 03:40 PM
 
Location: Tysons Corner
2,772 posts, read 3,640,334 times
Reputation: 1495

Advertisements

Ive never understood why people who oppose what is happening to an area stay in one.

Do you think its politicians doing it? Its not, I can promise you. When market conditions put pressure on an area to develop there isn't a nimby in the world who can stop it. Living close to the most powerful city in the world, which also doesn't allow density within it, should have been enough warning that ultimately you were waging a losing war.

I dont mean to be harsh, but this isn't the middle of nowhere, we are 20 miles out from the center of the world. The good news is, in the mean while the place has made you hundreds of thousands of dollars in equity and salary if you played your cards right. If its getting too bad, you will have a far better retirement than the poor people who live in the rust belt and have no choices in life.

Congratulations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-10-2013, 04:07 PM
 
7,965 posts, read 18,039,589 times
Reputation: 2588
It probably depends on one's perspective. If you are a lifelong Virginian of perhaps 40 years or more, you may have a fondness for (what I hear) was a more bucolic, pastoral landscape. If you've arrived within the last ten years (hello! ), you probably have less of a reference unless perhaps you live in the outer 'burbs.

Mind you: as this is, at its heart, a relocation forum, its existence perpetuates what the OP laments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2013, 04:32 PM
 
7,925 posts, read 9,636,584 times
Reputation: 13927
Quote:
Originally Posted by novadude12 View Post
I've lived in Northern Virginia for 21 years and still live there and I know exactly what your talking about and it enrages me as well. The biggest problem I have is overpopulation which is the root cause of many of the problems in this area. They just keep building and building, I even heard that western FFX Co needs a new high school because of overcrowding at all the other high schools around there. I mean thats how bad its become. Now when metro opens, all these other problems are gonna come with it like Marylanders coming here to work and hang out. Why can't the federal government just expand its operations outside of NOVA? I stopped enjoying living in NOVA around 5 years ago.
And yet you stay.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2013, 06:10 PM
 
Location: among the clustered spires
2,380 posts, read 3,860,194 times
Reputation: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
It probably depends on one's perspective. If you are a lifelong Virginian of perhaps 40 years or more, you may have a fondness for (what I hear) was a more bucolic, pastoral landscape. If you've arrived within the last ten years (hello! ), you probably have less of a reference unless perhaps you live in the outer 'burbs.

Mind you: as this is, at its heart, a relocation forum, its existence perpetuates what the OP laments.
The 1980s in Front Royal were dominated by constant fights between the EPA and Avtex -- it finally shut down in (I think) 1989. You had to go to Winchester for good shopping, to watch a movie, to do many things.

Lots of people, then as now, had to go into Northern VA to make an okay living. And we hated it, then as now.

It really wasn't a paradise on Earth. A lot of things were worse then than now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2013, 06:26 PM
 
291 posts, read 493,984 times
Reputation: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
And yet you stay.....
Lot's of people are pretty much stuck to stay here because they have too much time invested in their place of employment and are too close to retirement...you can't just throw that away. That's our situation. I was born and raised in Fairfax. I've been here for LOTS of years (sorry don't feel like disclosing my age) and have seen way more change then a ton of you on this board are aware of. I'm retired now (took early buy-out). Husband is not from here but moved here for a job many, many years ago. Waiting for husband to retire and then we are moving out of the NOVA area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2013, 06:35 PM
 
7,925 posts, read 9,636,584 times
Reputation: 13927
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFan View Post
Lot's of people are pretty much stuck to stay here because they have too much time invested in their place of employment and are too close to retirement...you can't just throw that away. That's our situation. I was born and raised in Fairfax. I've been here for LOTS of years (sorry don't feel like disclosing my age) and have seen way more change then a ton of you on this board are aware of. I'm retired now (took early buy-out). Husband is not from here but moved here for a job many, many years ago. Waiting for husband to retire and then we are moving out of the NOVA area.
yes, just like everyone else in this area, you recognize the economics associated with this area outweigh the negatives. You've made that choice. Be fine with it, or choose something else. No one is ever "stuck" with anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2013, 06:37 PM
 
7,965 posts, read 18,039,589 times
Reputation: 2588
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
The 1980s in Front Royal were dominated by constant fights between the EPA and Avtex -- it finally shut down in (I think) 1989. You had to go to Winchester for good shopping, to watch a movie, to do many things.

Lots of people, then as now, had to go into Northern VA to make an okay living. And we hated it, then as now.

It really wasn't a paradise on Earth. A lot of things were worse then than now.
Thanks for the education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2013, 08:25 PM
 
291 posts, read 493,984 times
Reputation: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
yes, just like everyone else in this area, you recognize the economics associated with this area outweigh the negatives. You've made that choice. Be fine with it, or choose something else. No one is ever "stuck" with anything.
Maybe I should not have used the word "stuck." We do understand the economics of it but I don't like it so we are "stuck" with it. I loved the Fairfax that I grew up in years ago but it is not the same PERIOD. There is more to life then money but the way the country is going...we have to do what we have to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2013, 11:36 PM
 
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, formerly DC and Phila
8,555 posts, read 12,617,038 times
Reputation: 8315
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFan View Post
Maybe I should not have used the word "stuck." We do understand the economics of it but I don't like it so we are "stuck" with it. I loved the Fairfax that I grew up in years ago but it is not the same PERIOD. There is more to life then money but the way the country is going...we have to do what we have to do.
But no place is the same as it was years ago. I just moved to the Triangle area in NC. And everyone here says the same thing that it has grown so much since 20 years ago or in the past 10 years, etc. When I go home to Pennsylvania, it has grown quite a bit.

The truth is that our population as a nation is growing. So most towns and cities are getting more crowded. Because there are people there needs to be more homes, more offices, more shopping, more hospitals, etc. The reality is if a place is not growing then there is something wrong there - probably economically. Think of places like Flint, MI. I'm sure plenty of oldtimers there wish it were growing rather than decaying. If a place isn't growing that means that it's not keeping up with the times - stores probably aren't getting remodeled, libraries aren't being updated, parks aren't being kept up. It's likely the the town is struggling economically. So, while the growth that Fairfax has seen over the past 30 years might not be your cup of tea, and there are certainly a lot of negatives associated with the growth, things could be a lot worse.

What is the saying, "The only thing that never changes is change itself?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2013, 04:31 AM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA
108 posts, read 177,675 times
Reputation: 62
There will always be people who hate what's happened in NoVa over the past several decades, and there will always be people who embrace it. Personally, I'd rather deal with the civic and social challenges associated with an increasing population over those associated with a decreasing population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:15 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top