U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 04:36 AM

2,380 posts, read 3,860,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
And to think of all the 'dangerous' equipment we played on when I was a kid....and survived! Those were the days!
Actually we did die from a higher rate of accidents.

Anecdote time: My father-in-law grew up in rural upstate NY and said that more years than not, he had to attend a funeral of one of his schoolmates (someone in the K-12 system that had ~400 kids). Farm accidents, kid accidents, illness, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 04:45 AM

1,559 posts, read 3,170,789 times
Growing up partly in rural Vermont and then partly here - two different worlds. Farming was a way of life and being around dangerous equipment was as well. Also...falling through the ice was a big one that claimed kids and adults. We definitely grew up tougher. I can see dying from farming equipment more often for sure than dying from perfectly good playground equipment that just doesn't conform to our local safety standards.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:47 AM

6,553 posts, read 10,842,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
And to think of all the 'dangerous' equipment we played on when I was a kid....and survived! Those were the days!

Back in the late 60's I was at a playground near my Grandmothers in Fla. Climbing up a Rocket to get to a slide and I hit my head into a screw sticking out from inside. Dang thing put a nice hole in my head. My little borther saw all the blood and ran all the way home screaming thinking I was dying. So yeah, there were some dangerous equipment back then compared to now but I went on to be a big bad adult thanks to being toughend up like this.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:14 AM

1,784 posts, read 2,982,410 times
I survived the enormous awesome wooden Orange Hunt Elementary playground of the 80's. We didn't even go to that school but drove over because it was so cool. Naturally they tore it down.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:34 AM

617 posts, read 1,152,107 times
For me, it was Haycock Elementary, that school had a great wooden playground when I went there. I recently took my kids up that way (visiting grandparents) and the whole thing has been replaced by a metal structure with no personality or anything.

Younger than that, my parents took me to Tuckahoe playground over near East Falls Church metro. I remember that having a giant slide and a lot of wooden stuff to climb on. I haven't been to it in at least two decades; it's probably gone too.

Down where we live now, in Lake Ridge, there is a fantasy playground unattached to any one elementary school, which had all the wooden climbing structures I remember as a kid. My kids love it. We've been thinking about moving, but man would I miss the playground.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:46 AM

5,071 posts, read 8,616,501 times
There are some cool kids parks in Fairfax, such as this one: Clemyjontri Park*- Fairfax County, Virginia

It was designed to be accessible to kids with special needs, however, so there may not be enough free-fall or splinter opportunities for some of you who grew up tough as nails!

Old 02-12-2013, 08:49 AM

1,623 posts, read 4,323,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
Except it's not FCPS footing the bill, it's the taxpayers funding this expensive "mistake." Does ten inches really make a difference? No. And why, if the PTA paid $35,000, is FCPS going to pay $135,000?
I don't know about this particular equipment, but 10 inches can mean a big deal. One of the most popular playground equipment for kids in the monkey bars and they cause the largest number of serious injuries, mostly broken collar bones, ankles, or wrists.

The monkey bars are designed for you to fall about a foot or so, but you need to have them pretty high if you want older kids to be able to use them. So if you have a 4 to 5 year old using a monkey bar and they could fall more than 2 feet or so, they have a signficant risk of injury as their fall will be higher and more awkward than older kids.

Many schools in this area, will have separate, shorter monkey bar for smaller children, but some still use higher ones so more kids can use them.

An awkward two or three feet fall for a 3 and half foot tall child is not the same for an adult or older child.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:52 PM

2,688 posts, read 5,951,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
-Do you want FCPS employees to be held personally liable for what are ultimately unintentional acts of oversight or miscommunication?
Sure. They failed to do their jobs. Dean Tistadt (whose annual salary was over $200,000 before he retired) admitted it.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:45 PM

5,071 posts, read 8,616,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
Sure. They failed to do their jobs. Dean Tistadt (whose annual salary was over $200,000 before he retired) admitted it.
I don't read his comments as a clear acknowledgment of wrongdoing on the part of FCPS so much as a recognition of a misunderstanding. It could also be the case that the PTA should have known based on materials provided by FCPS that the equipment would not meet code.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:05 PM

2,612 posts, read 4,753,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I see no evidence that anyone acted in bad faith, and the school system has offered to reimburse the PTA for the cost of the equipment. The CPSC has recalled other products by this manufacturer in the past:

CPSC - Children's Slides Recalled by Landscape Structures due to Fall Hazard

It's sad to look at playground equipment literally covered in yellow tape (looks like a crime scene) and figuratively covered in red tape, but hopefully the school and PTA will find an acceptable replacement soon. I'd rather have FCPS admit there was a misunderstanding, and foot the bill, than permit a school to have something it considers unsafe on school grounds simply because it might be embarassing to acknowledge that it hadn't provided the PTA with clear guidance.
FCPS is not footing the bill. The taxpayers are. And that money has to come from somewhere. They cut positions and freeze wages to save money, so this screwup takes money from the pockets of other people. There are really clear rules about playground height, and the facilities dept has absolutely no excuse for not double checking that the equipment met requirements before it was installed. Just sending a list of vendors is plain negligent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia