Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 05:21 PM

2,496 posts, read 3,402,543 times

Advertisements

It's been a busy week keeping up with the NoVA news (West Springfield HS teens arrested, etc.) Thought things might return to normal down there, then I see this headline:

Fairfax County schools place new playground apparatus off limits to kids - The Washington Post

It really never stops in FCPS, does it? They keep generating new, ridiculous situations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 05:24 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,093,639 times
But guarantee if a child fell and was injured, there would be a lawsuit.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:25 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
very true about the lawsuits.
we are a law suit driven country and the suit no longer fits.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:41 PM

2,496 posts, read 3,402,543 times
Default "What we've got here...failure to communicate."

Being a playground supervisor must be a lot of fun. Brand new equipment just begging to be used, and it is off-limits.

We used to live down there, and a similar thing happened with a group of mothers who planned an expensive project and pressured all the parents to donate money. They failed to get the necessary approvals and the plans were not carefully researched and planned with FCPS officials. The changes were guaranteed to be ripped up in a few years. Guess it's a chronic condition there.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:57 PM

4,433 posts, read 8,121,316 times
Wow how did we ever survive growing up without the bureaucracy to keep us safe!!!

Old 02-10-2013, 05:58 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,084,569 times
I see no evidence that anyone acted in bad faith, and the school system has offered to reimburse the PTA for the cost of the equipment. The CPSC has recalled other products by this manufacturer in the past:

CPSC - Children's Slides Recalled by Landscape Structures due to Fall Hazard

It's sad to look at playground equipment literally covered in yellow tape (looks like a crime scene) and figuratively covered in red tape, but hopefully the school and PTA will find an acceptable replacement soon. I'd rather have FCPS admit there was a misunderstanding, and foot the bill, than permit a school to have something it considers unsafe on school grounds simply because it might be embarassing to acknowledge that it hadn't provided the PTA with clear guidance.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:13 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I see no evidence that anyone acted in bad faith, and the school system has offered to reimburse the PTA for the cost of the equipment. The CPSC has recalled other products by this manufacturer in the past:

CPSC - Children's Slides Recalled by Landscape Structures due to Fall Hazard

It's sad to look at playground equipment literally covered in yellow tape (looks like a crime scene) and figuratively covered in red tape, but hopefully the school and PTA will find an acceptable replacement soon. I'd rather have FCPS admit there was a misunderstanding, and foot the bill, than permit a school to have something it considers unsafe on school grounds simply because it might be embarassing to acknowledge that it hadn't provided the PTA with clear guidance.
Except it's not FCPS footing the bill, it's the taxpayers funding this expensive "mistake." Does ten inches really make a difference? No. And why, if the PTA paid $35,000, is FCPS going to pay $135,000?

Old 02-11-2013, 11:26 AM

4,433 posts, read 8,121,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
Does ten inches really make a difference? No.
That's we he said... Sorry couldn't resist...

Plus they'll just raise the property tax to make up for the lost "revenue"

Old 02-11-2013, 12:26 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,084,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
Except it's not FCPS footing the bill, it's the taxpayers funding this expensive "mistake." Does ten inches really make a difference? No. And why, if the PTA paid $35,000, is FCPS going to pay $135,000?
- I was aware that FCPS is funded through tax assessments and that the taxpayers will ultimately bear the cost if FCPS spends more money at Stratford Landing ES. But I'm not sure I understand your point. Do you want FCPS employees to be held personally liable for what are ultimately unintentional acts of oversight or miscommunication?

- Apparently the additional 10 inches does make a difference, according to the safety inspectors. Perhaps there should be a process to get a waiver if additional or compensating safety measures can be put in place, but I can only imagine how angry some parents might be if their kid got hurt falling off a piece of playground equipment and they subsequently learned that it did not meet the school system's safety standards. I've laughed as much as anyone at some of the OSHA workplace safety requirements, but we are talking about the safety of kids here.

- I read the story to suggest that the piece of equipment cost $35K, and that FCPS has now offered to do a more expensive revamp of the entire playground for $135K. Is that the best use of FCPS funds? Maybe yes, maybe no. I've read some parents complain that their school playgrounds aren't as nice as those at some of the schools in Arlington and DC, but if the parents at Stratford Landing want to send the money that has been offered by FCPS over to McLean, I'm sure we can find a use for it.

Last edited by JD984; 02-11-2013 at 01:07 PM..

Old 02-12-2013, 03:56 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,855,098 times
And to think of all the 'dangerous' equipment we played on when I was a kid....and survived! Those were the days!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia