U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 10:29 AM

939 posts, read 1,605,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Understood. I have a very low tolerance for sycophants and braggarts. That's why Maine works for me.
As someone who spent many a summer outside of Portland growing up, I can assure you there are many braggarts in the area, but they are mostly bragging about the Mainiac lifestyle in relation to the rest of the country. I personally disliked much of the place and couldn't stand when I visited in the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 10:34 AM

1,403 posts, read 1,848,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOCCC View Post
If they hired local, this would not be a problem, plus it would help workers here and maintain our quality of life.
How would you define "local"? The way state universities define in-state status?
Quote:
Understood. I have a very low tolerance for sycophants and braggarts. That's why Maine works for me.
No "sycophants and braggarts" in Maine?

I wonder if we can design a study of various state sub-fora on C-D that looks at the ratio of braggarts vs. crybabies and see which region tops the chart. Although I can see already the problem that low braggart/low crybaby area would be rated the same as high braggart/high crybaby (in other words high drama) area.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:22 AM

165 posts, read 173,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
How would you define "local"? The way state universities define in-state status?
Fairfax County. We pay taxes and elect them. They should be looking out for our interests.

I can't write a white paper on it. There has been a movement lately for local governments to support people and businesses locally. Arlington has incentives for contractors located within the county, and probably others. DC has some too. I just know that Fairfax has a pretty bad track record as it goes for not hiring local workers. They may be just as guilty when working out deals for incoming businesses. Not saying that I know the latter.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:29 AM

Actually, in this case I am talking about negotiations when the bring the business in. I know that especially in high union areas, companies are forced to bring workers with them. Union or not, there should be an effort to create jobs here rather than just bring in tax revenue.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:44 AM

2,772 posts, read 3,641,918 times
Where can Fairfax fit more employment? What a strange comment. Its not as if NOVA is manhattan development level or anything even close. I have been to sunbelt cities with more urbanization.

Fairfax is 30 times larger in land mass than Manhattan. I am pretty sure we could fit a few jobs (preferably those not federally backed) here without your life being affected at all. For instance in the 100million sf coming to Tysons

Old 02-12-2013, 12:39 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,023,055 times
Quote:
Everyone I've known who moved there from here moved back. Apparently all this traffic and congestion didn't seem so bad after a couple of Maine Winters. A lot of folks get sucked in by how pretty it is up there in the Summer and then cold reality hits.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:43 PM

1,403 posts, read 1,848,263 times
Quote:
Fairfax County. We pay taxes and elect them. They should be looking out for our interests.
No, what I mean is, how would a "local worker" be defined?
Quote:
I can't write a white paper on it. There has been a movement lately for local governments to support people and businesses locally. Arlington has incentives for contractors located within the county, and probably others. DC has some too. I just know that Fairfax has a pretty bad track record as it goes for not hiring local workers. They may be just as guilty when working out deals for incoming businesses. Not saying that I know the latter.
When companies relocate somewhere, even if they bring some workers from elsewhere, there is always net inflow of jobs for the locals, of varying degrees of course.
Quote:
Actually, in this case I am talking about negotiations when the bring the business in. I know that especially in high union areas, companies are forced to bring workers with them. Union or not, there should be an effort to create jobs here rather than just bring in tax revenue.
I am uncertain what you mean here. Please do clarify what you are implying with the "high union areas" remark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
Where can Fairfax fit more employment? What a strange comment. Its not as if NOVA is manhattan development level or anything even close. I have been to sunbelt cities with more urbanization.

Fairfax is 30 times larger in land mass than Manhattan. I am pretty sure we could fit a few jobs (preferably those not federally backed) here without your life being affected at all. For instance in the 100million sf coming to Tysons
No way. Now that I am comfortably ensconced here, all development and net inflow of people must cease and all traffic patterns must stay the same. Life must remain exactly as I find it today, the golden epitome of the perfect life (for me). The rest of you unfortunates stuck outside the region must bugger off.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
No, what I mean is, how would a "local worker" be defined?
When companies relocate somewhere, even if they bring some workers from elsewhere, there is always net inflow of jobs for the locals, of varying degrees of course.
I am uncertain what you mean here. Please do clarify what you are implying with the "high union areas" remark.
No way. Now that I am comfortably ensconced here, all development and net inflow of people must cease and all traffic patterns must stay the same. Life must remain exactly as I find it today, the golden epitome of the perfect life (for me). The rest of you unfortunates stuck outside the region must bugger off.
Ok, I'll spoon feed it. Fairfax County residents. What is so hard about that to understand? The people who live and vote, and pay taxes to the Farifax County government that runs the county EDA. Why is having your government promote your interests such an alien concept?

High union area means Massachusetts. Labor unions.

Conservatives like me, unlike you, don't like a lot of change. We know that we can't stop it but we do what we can to slow it down. I like this county. It doesn't need a constant influx of people. What makes Great Falls so nice where you live is that zoning has stopped all but occasional housing development. If they changed the 2 acre lot requirement and allowed multi-family housing, it would be quite a different place. You bought an area that you liked, why would you want to change it in ways that you have little control over? Should we move the next 20,000 residents into Great Falls? Bet you wouldn't like driving down Old Georgetown Pike.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:31 PM

8,772 posts, read 10,677,612 times
I'm not a fan of banning growth. There could be an intermediate position, where we accept that growth will occur, but not make too huge an effort to seek it by, you know, setting up economic development offices around the country.

I think in the context of a thread about such efforts, being skeptical of their value is not quite the same as wanting to shut the door on any people or firms who want to locate here.

Of course I acknowledge that for some folks there are advantages to having as much growth as possible (and not only to landowners)

not that Im going to get on the County BOS's case for setting up an econ dev office in boston - i have more important things to lobby them on, from my POV

Old 02-12-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I'm not a fan of banning growth. There could be an intermediate position, where we accept that growth will occur, but not make too huge an effort to seek it by, you know, setting up economic development offices around the country.

I think in the context of a thread about such efforts, being skeptical of their value is not quite the same as wanting to shut the door on any people or firms who want to locate here.

Of course I acknowledge that for some folks there are advantages to having as much growth as possible (and not only to landowners)

not that Im going to get on the County BOS's case for setting up an econ dev office in boston - i have more important things to lobby them on, from my POV
We're desperately going to need the jobs after sequestration and government cuts in general. If we don't grow our economy beyond government and contractors, we're going to be in big trouble. I remember when we were a pretty big IT destination with AOL here, etc. That seems to have diminished. I agree about the balance. I just want more jobs and a more moderate influx of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or